Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 19, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile BA seat selection- is it a must if we want to sit together?

Booked direct through BA last week. The flight was on sale so we got a good deal- or so I thought at the time. Obviously my friend and I would like to sit together, this is her first long haul flight so I did already expect that we would pay to select seats- but I did not expect the price to select seats to be quite this high!

£43 is the cheapest seats on the way out, and £35 on the way back- each! That’s an additional £78 each to select seats. Really this whole thing has changed my opinion on BA, the fact that different seats have different prices - some as much as £81!- really drives it home how much they milk you for more money.

The only saving grace is if you leave it to 24 hrs before departure you can then select from the seats that are left for free.

I have gone back to check a few times and the flight does seem to be filling up a bit on pre-selected seats (plus the seat prices have gone up) but does anyone who flies BA regularly (or at all!) know what our odds are of getting two seats next to each other when online check in opens 24 hrs before departure?

TIA!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Which cabin are you flying in? The chances in economy of two seats together at check-in are reasonably good (as long as you aren’t too fussy about where they are in the cabin).

It’s more of a risk in higher cabins, since they have less seats and usually more people who are entitled to free advance seat selection.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We fly twice a year with BA and have done for many years, we had never paid for seats, I do OLCI 24 hrs before we fly and if I don't like the seats we have been allocated then I just move us, I don't like to be near the back of the plane.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

You would be very unlucky not to be sat together as a two. You might not get much choice in where you sit but you'll almost certainly be together.

As the group size increases the chances get smaller (but we've never had an issue in groups of 3 or 4 - just less choice)

If you'd cry and fret the whole way if you sat apart i would pay, if you think you could manage in the unlikely event you are split then I'd save the £300 and spend it on something else.

If the worst happens and you are split the $400 it is equivalent to can buy a lot of wine or spa treatments to soften the disappointment
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My husband and I often travel with BA and always get seats together without paying. We are normally lucky enough to get the rows of 2 at the back of the plane. I definitely wouldn't pay when its just the 2 of us whereas I always paid when our son and daughter travelled with us.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List