Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Donnalou36
VIP Dibber

Mobile MAN-DUB-MIA 7 hour layover. Advice needed.

Dibbers that have done this route aer lingus. Our flight times have changed and now have a 7 hour layover at Dublin. Am I able to leave the terminal for a few hours before Going through US pre clearance? I did email the airline, but they did a very good job with replying with a vague answer that had no relevance to the question I asked.

With 2 children it would be nice even if to hop over to the nearby shopping centre to kill some time.

Any advice is much appreciated. Not thrilled with 7 hours tbh
Donnalou36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi that's a long layover alright. The closest shopping centre is The Pavilions in Swords. It is 10 mins drive away. When we do transatlantic flights we are advised to allow 3 hours in the airport.

pavilions.ie

Can't see why you couldn't leave but hopefully someone else can answer your q!

Also check out the airport lounges. I have only ever been in 51st and Green which is fab and I would highly recommend. There is another lounge in Terminal 2.

Edited at 05:07 PM.
Ciano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote for 51st and Green. Enjoyed our time there last year.
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

ONLY IF there are no issues going out before pre clearance (not sure if there are or not):

You could quite easily get a taxi into Dublin (30 mins using the tunnel, I always use Uber) or get the bus but that can take an hour.
Have 2 hours walking around Dublin, and go back (traffic can be v bad getting out of Dublin in rush hour, but outside then, normally about 30 mns back in taxi using tunnel).
Whole trip is 3/4 hours. You will not queue long at security in Dublin T2 going back in- I go there at least 6 times a year. Then you would have to do the pre clearance.
Depends if you want to do something instead of sitting around the airport.
I am the person who on a similar layover in Philadelphia or Newark has had quick jaunts with the kids into Philadelphi and NYC for something to do.
However, this pre clearance would make me think twice- I think all you could do if you fancied it would be to ask them when you get there, but you are directed to the pre clearance which is down some steps in departures so I am not sure how you could get from there, to get out. As your bags also go automatically through and are shown on a picture, you want to make sure they dont 'disappear' from the IT system before youd get back.

Edited at 06:17 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
If it’s a through ticket I’m not sure you can leave the airport. I would have though that you would stay airside as I’ve seen signs for connecting flights that look like you don’t leave the terminal, but not 100% sure about that.

If you can leave the airport then personally I wouldn’t venture into Dublin, it would take a minimum of 30 minutes but much longer with traffic. There are two shopping centres not that far away, Blanchardstown or Liffey Valley or there’s an Ikea really close. If it were me I’d book 51st and Green after pre-clearance. We spent some time in there last summer and it was lovely, there was a great view of the runway which the kids might enjoy.

Edited at 10:59 PM.
TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Donnalou36
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Looks like I might just have to suck it up and do the lounge options. Is there a limit to how long you can be in the lounge at all? We may need it for 4/5 hours.
Donnalou36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Yes you can leave the airport
There's several shopping centres ten minutes away
You could even book a day room at one of the airport hotels and use it to watch TV and relax. If you choose one with a pool even better.
The only thing you can't do is leave once you've cleared US customs and immigration.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
You could even book a day room at one of the airport hotels and use it to watch TV and relax. If you choose one with a pool even better.
The only thing you can't do is leave once you've cleared US customs and immigration.
Sounds like a much better idea than walking around a shopping centre!
Old 14 Jan 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Donnalou36
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Oh really? Thank you. That’s good to know.
Old 14 Jan 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donnalou36 View Post
Oh really? Thank you. That’s good to know.
We did something similar for my step daughter , son and the grand kids when their flight was cancelled and instead of flying home direct they had an 11 hour layover. It worked well, screen time, TV and beds to snooze on. Certainly beat sitting around a terminal. Hotel food was expensive so we stocked them up on snacks and they ate proper meals at the terminal food courts before heading to the hotel and when they got back again.

dayuse/hotels/irel...dublin-airport

This one isn't bad, free shuttle and free wifi included.

Edited at 12:26 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List