Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jan 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WDWfangirl View Post
We went the last two weeks in August 2016 and apart from two very hot and muggy days the weather was either manageable or disappointingly overcast and even on the cold side.

We took one rucksack between us as a family of 4 and carried ponchos with us at all times in a Ziploc bag.

I was expecting a thunderstorm a day between 2-4 based on previous trips at the same time. In reality it was overcast from mid morning onwards and then rather than clearing after the thunderstorm the rain clouds hung around and more rain followed. I would play it by ear timewise as to when to arrive and leave the parks but for booking fastpasses if I was going to a park in the evening I would start booking them from 4-5pm onwards given that most parks close by 9pm at that time of year.
We were also there in August 2016 but the middle 2 weeks and had a couple of occasions where I was very cold due to getting wet. One thing I did notice that year though was people said they had had good weather in a different park to us and that the rain was very localised. I don't know if that is usually the case.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

My 2 pence on your questions...

Originally Posted by Beach Bunny View Post
1. What do you take to the parks with you to help with the heat?
Cooling towels - wet them when you pass a water fountain.

Depending on how you are carrying them, a few frozen water bottles.

Any where that sells fizzy drinks will give you iced water for free. Ask for and drink lots.

Take it slow - don't plan things that mean you need to rush!

Make the most of aircon in Queues and shops.

Foam cooler and iced water / fruit in the boot for when you return is a top tip we used from here.

2. If going to the parks in the morning, is there a certain time of day we should aim to leave the parks before it gets too hot? i.e. hottest time of the day
It was hot & humid all day for us! Coolest time to be in the parks is the evening. But it depends on your family how that works for you.

3. If doing the parks in the evening, what time do you head to the parks for?
Depends what else you have been doing all day! How much and when to be in the parks is a very family specific question. What is good for you and your family might be too much for many others, or the other way round. Just give it a go and if one of you are getting tired / not enjoying, call it a day!

4. Is there a certain time of day it generally rains? Where do you all head to in the park if it starts pouring?
Last year, last 2 weeks of August, it wasn't an exact time, but it did rain every afternoon. Started some time between 2 and 4 usually and lasted between 30 mins and 3 hours. We never bothered with ponchos, the rain was always so heavy that we would just wait it out under cover somewhere. And it is worth waiting - at the waterparks especially. So many give up and go home you can get a lot done after the rain clears!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tj28
Getting Excited

Hi Beach Bunny
I don’t have any advice, but I just felt the need to reply as your question could have come from us! We are out there 18th Aug to 3rd Sept, and staying off the 192. Like you, slightly concerned about the weather as have only been in April before. (Although it was a hot and wet April that year so may have prepared us well). All great advice here from people.
Tj28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tj28 View Post
Hi Beach Bunny
I don’t have any advice, but I just felt the need to reply as your question could have come from us! We are out there 18th Aug to 3rd Sept, and staying off the 192. Like you, slightly concerned about the weather as have only been in April before. (Although it was a hot and wet April that year so may have prepared us well). All great advice here from people.
We were there last July/Aug and it was hot and humid. We suffered with this at parks as never done parks at that time of year. We only did 4 park days and went to the Gulf coast for 2nd week which was more comfortable.

However, I have to say it was no worse than the weather we had in the UK in June/July when it was red hot and sunny for days. Yes it can get uncomfortable but if you pace yourself you can cope. Just drink plenty of water, take rests, sit in the shade not direct sun. You can always leave early afternoon and return later when you have cooled down in a pool.

I found the queuing to be hot and sweaty but they have industrial size fans which often spray a cooling mist over the queue.

I would much rather it be too hot and sunny than raining all day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We have always gone in August. I'm not a lover of extreme heat at all, but I still find it fine.

We don't take anything with us to the parks - we like to travel light and bypass the bag-check lines. We may take a bottle or two of water and top up as and when.

Do the "go early and return to chill" all/most days but leave when you can see signs of people flagging or getting tetchy. Don't stay in the park for another hour or two because of prior plans or outstanding FPs you have made - just get out of there before moods really sour.

Rain tends to come in the afternoons, but we've also had morning downpours, but they are considerably rarer.

Duck in and out of shops and eateries to get some air-con, and stay in the shade wherever you can. Sitting inside for 15 minutes with an ice cold drink can work wonders.

Yes, it will be bloody hot and humid, but you'll get my just fine!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Adsrat
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

In Disney parks you can get a cup of iced water for free from most places that sell drinks, excluding the barrows. We used to do that and take some Robinson’s squashed to flavour. We also used the water fountains although I would use the ones close to or attached to the toilet blocks as the water is cooler.

Adsrat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Been twice at the end of August 2015 and 2017.
Yes it is hot and humid but we coped fine. Try to switch between indoor and outdoor rides and attractions. Drink lots and lots of water - we always take bottles or refillable cups and use the drinking fountains (some don’t like the taste but we found it fine). I’d second the Powerade comment too if you need an extra boost.
We tend to do early starts for about a week then switch to afternoon/evening, arriving around 4.00 pm. Definitely go early to the water parks. They can be very uncomfortable in the height of the day.

Take a break whenever you need one. Be flexible with your plans too. If you’re just too tired to catch the fireworks one day, save them for another. Talking of plans, one great tip we had was to try not to criss cross the parks too much (especially Epcot), so use a map when booking FPs.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List