Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
pokerbanter
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I remember reading a little while ago that someone put all their money on it and it was either lost or stolen, can't remember which. It caused them a lot of problems.

Revut has feature to block/unblock your card instantly so if people use this it won't work if stolen. We also use 2 cards (my wife has one too) so if anything happened to one card we could instantly transfer funds to the other.
pokerbanter is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by The Duchess View Post
I used it for my trip. I just keep it frozen and unfreeze before making a purchase.
That's a great way to deal with the card if you're worried.

My card was frozen by Revolut just because we had 3 quick transaction which they deemed odd. Super easy to unfreeze during the app but also shows they do keep an eye out for discrepancies.

I put £500 & will top up when I'm away & get paid.
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

It has just cracked the $1.30 threshold
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gadge
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I tend to transfer to Revolut when I want to transfer cash out - or I’m buying something in dollars from the UK so maybe £500 or so over a two week period.

I found the Halifax creditcard to be great since I didn’t need to bother with the topping up.

The first year we went to Florida (2014 I think) we planned to only use Revolut and found ourselves stuck a few times since many shops and cash machines wouldn’t work with it but each year it’s got better..a good lesson learned about not putting all of your eggs in one basket.
Gadge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pokerbanter View Post
Revut has feature to block/unblock your card instantly so if people use this it won't work if stolen. We also use 2 cards (my wife has one too) so if anything happened to one card we could instantly transfer funds to the other.
Same. Worked well when we were in Dubai and I didn't have enough left to buy what I wanted. He sent me the rest in AED to complete my purchase. Took 30 seconds.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
It has just cracked the $1.30 threshold
Im thinking of whacking a load of my spends on today for this reason.

Worried about the rate tanking the closer we get to Brexit
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jules1508
Excited about Disney

I have been thinking about where we Revolut users would stand if it all went 'pear shaped'. On Sunday Revolut went down and no one could use card, transfer cash or do anything regards payments. Got me thinking as the last thing anyone would need is $2k thats loaded on your card become untouchable.
jules1508 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

Have $2500 on ours and will also take about $600 cash to cover tips etc. Always Freeze card between top ups or usage.
mental4ever is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for all the advice and tips
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Gadge
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by jules1508 View Post
I have been thinking about where we Revolut users would stand if it all went 'pear shaped'. On Sunday Revolut went down and no one could use card, transfer cash or do anything regards payments. Got me thinking as the last thing anyone would need is $2k thats loaded on your card become untouchable.

We have several stories of this happening over a two-week holiday for us / a couple we went with but that was a couple of years ago and it seems to have got better since but I wouldn't trust it entirely.

The most dramatic of which was at the entrance to the magic kingdom we had paid parking in cash and was buying day tickets and my card was being rejected by both the machines in the booths and the cash machines.

Must admit since then I have been a little sore about Revolut especially since the customer service staff on the app didn't get back to me for several hours later and then didn't provide any solution.

Luckily I had a credit card on me which I ended up using for much of the holiday which by the time I had paid the fee's it had cost me more than I had saved by getting a decent rate anyway.

After that event, I now tend to always have at least two forms of payment. The last time we went I got hold of a Halifax Clarity card which I can recommend and I will be using it this year when we go as-well.
Gadge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List