Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 26 Nov 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 21 - AK, Check into Grand Floridian, MK

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 21

Index

Wednesday 19th September

Animal Kingdom, Check into Grand Floridian, Magic Kingdom

Lunch at Grand Floridian Café, Dinner at Narcoossee's

Time to say good bye to Port Orleans French Quarter We were up at 7.15am to pack up the last few things in the room.

We were sad to be leaving French Quarter, but couldn’t be too upset as we weren’t leaving Disney yet and were checking into the Villas at the Grand Floridian for a night! Not a bad way to celebrate our one month wedding anniversary. We had actually tried to extend our stay a FQ but there was no availability, so it’s like Disney were encouraging us to check in somewhere fancy for a night…

Breakfast this morning was one of the rice crispy treats from Goofy’s Candy Company. I’m not going to even try and justify this as a breakfast option, but it was really good. One of the other treats went home in our luggage and we tucked into when we were back home!

We were soon saying goodbye to our room and took our bags over to bell services to be automatically transferred to the GF.

We filled this in en route on one of the others doors –

Our plans for the day looked like this –

There was about a 10 minute wait for a bus and we were soon on our way to Animal Kingdom.

The park had already let guests in and today we didn’t join the crowds to Pandora as we had a FOP fastpass for later (much to Ollie’s dismay – he was keen for an extra ride again!)

Instead, we headed over to Dinosaur to a lovely quiet park. The morning is a great time to get some rides down while everyone else is in Pandora.

Seriously, if you can’t guess from the name of the ride that there will be dinosaurs, should you even be allowed on?

At Dinosaur we walked straight into the (retro) pre show.

I do love this ride, very underrated!

We headed round to Everest next and rode twice – once with no wait and the second time with about a 5 minute line.

Twice on Everest is my limit (if I’m honest, once is probably my limit), so Ollie went on a third time single rider. Obviously, I browsed the shop.

I had to drag him away or he could have gone round all day!

We were looking round for a snack (being on the deluxe dining plan did mean we adjusted to eating every 2 hours) but find that snack places generally aren’t open that early. Even most of the ice cream carts weren’t open until 11am.

I was keen to see the re-branded Flights of Wonder show.

Really, I was here for this guy …..

But we did see lots of these too…

The parrot was not playing along at all!

And another of Dug, because he’s just so cute.

The show was fine, but I don’t think that integrating the Up characters really added to the experience.

After the show, we finally found a snack and split one of the Mickey ice cream sandwiches. Good as always.

It was time to head round to Pandora now, where we enjoyed a night blossom for a snack credit whilst watching this guy –

This was definitely my favourite (non-alcoholic) speciality drink of the trip.

Our fastpass slot for Flight of Passage had now opened up – we felt very fortunate to be able to ride plenty! For the first time we were given seats 7 and 8 in the middle of the row which I found much better – on the other goes we had been very near the edge.

It was time to make a quick exit from the park now. Boarding Flight of Passage does take a while, even with a fastpass, because the various pre-shows you have to go through take while!

Fortunately, a bus was waiting for us at the bus stop. It felt very fancy being able to get on a Grand Floridian bus, knowing we were staying there and not just visiting.

We headed straight to the Grand Floridian Café for our lunch reservation. We were a few minutes late, but the restaurant was fairly quiet.

Our server did seem a little disinterested in us, which was a shame.

To drink, we shared two cocktails - Florida Sunshine - Peach Schnapps, Chambord, Skyy Vodka, and a splash of Orange and Cranberry Juices - $12.50 and a Grand Colada - A tropical blend of Myers’s Original Dark Rum, Coconut, and Pineapple topped with Blue Curaçao - $12.00

Couldn’t resist the drink with ‘grand’ in its name. Although it’s not often you get a blue cocktail.

To start, we both went for the House-breaded Fried Mozzarella - with Tomato Jam and Grilled Artichoke Relish - $10.00

I wasn’t expecting quite so much garnish! I enjoyed this, but who wouldn’t like fried cheese?

For mains, we split two dishes. The Cafe Sandwich - Open-faced Hot Sandwich with Ham, Roasted Turkey Breast, Bacon, Tomato, Boursin Cheese Sauce, and Onion Rings

I had been dreaming about the sauce on this sandwich for three years. I was a little disappointed to find the sandwich had changed a bit. There was much less sauce (with no jug included like last time), although this version did seem a bit more sandwich-like. This was nice, but didn’t quite live up to my expectation.

We also split a Lobster 'Thermidor' Burger - Artisanal 7-oz Burger Patty and Lobster-Parmesan Thermidor Sauce on a Seared Brioche Bun with Cafe Signature Seasoned French Fries -$24.00

I’m pretty sure that eating lobster when staying at the Grand Floridian is compulsory! I was actually surprised by the amount of lobster here – it was a decent portion when I was expecting a token gesture.

For dessert, we split the Dessert Sampler (Serves Two) - Lemon-Blackberry Tart, Praline Pot de Crème, Cookies and Cream Dome, Strawberry Cheesecake - $12.00

Our server actually gave us some wrong information about the dessert sampler and told us the pot was coffee (which I can’t stand). However, from studying menus before our trip, I had a feeling this had changed and tried some anyway.

The mickey head was very cute! The cheesecake was pretty average and to be honest none of them were super memorable. I don’t think we finished all of them.

It was now time to check in! We weren’t sure if we could do this in the main building or had to go over to the villas. It turns out we could check in at the main desk, but had to visit the villas to pick up our magic bands.

The ladies at the desk in the villas thought it was really cute that we had ‘mr’ and ‘mrs’ as the names on our magic bands. I don’t seem to have pictures of our bands - I was excited to get a purple band, but unfortunately managed to leave it on our plane to New York

I loved the lobby areas of the villas with its Mary Poppins theme. Super cute penguin fountain (even if it wasn’t running).

Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

We booked a studio room –

I was excited that we could see the monorail from our balcony!

This mirror had a TV in it (of course).

The room was very spacious. The bathrooms was split with sliding doors and had both a shower and a bath.

Of course there were robes -

We got out the pull out bed to have a look -

I was so excited to be staying here, if only for one night.

We called bell services, but our luggage wasn’t ready yet. We were keen to go down to the pool but didn’t have our swimming gear with us.

I facetimed my parents, as I knew they’d love to see the Grand Floridian room and the monorail going passed the balcony.

We went for a walk around the resort – after all, we were proper guests . Our refillable mugs were still valid, so we got some drinks from the food court. I always think Gasparilla Grill is hard to find, as you enter from outside rather than via the inside of the main building.

In the resort shop we picked up a magnet ($9.99), a beautiful sketch of the Grand Floridian ($25) and a Minnie cookie treat (snack credit). I always get one of these to eat when we’re back home.

The cast member in the shop saw our just married badges and tried to get us to buy the sketch of the wedding pavilion instead. She was quite sad when we told her we didn’t actually get married here!

We took our purchases back to the room and called bell services, who delivered our luggage 10 minutes later. A quick change into swim wear and we were down at the pool in no time!

It was a great atmosphere here – the sun was shining, Disney songs were playing in the background – just perfect.

Ollie was laughing at me as I called the pool ‘zero entry’. He was adamant I’d made up this term – it took some googling to prove I hadn’t!

After a dip, we filled up our mugs and had a bit of a lounge in the sun. The sun loungers here definitely seemed fancier!

Back in the room, we got ready in record time and took the short walk over to Narcoossee’s for our dinner reservation.

We last ate here in 2013 on the last night of our trip and while we liked it, we weren’t super ‘wowed’. I was hoping for good things tonight!

Our table was great – a lakeside view and Mickey confetti. Off to a good start.

I did get the impression that our server was trying her best to spend as little time at our table as possible, which was a shame.

To drink, we shared a Mango mojito and a Key lime pie martini. I took a real liking to the martini and declared it one of my favourite cocktails of the trip. After trying that many, that’s a real compliment! I also enjoyed the biscuit round the side of the glass.

To start, I ordered the Shrimp and Crab Cake - Creamy Rémoulade Sauce, Red Quinoa-Cabbage Slaw - $15.00

I enjoyed this, but my crab cake at Yachtsman Steakhouse was better, I think party down to better accompaniments.

Ollie surprised me and went for the Barbecue-grilled Shrimp and Grits - Wild Florida Shrimp with Barbecue Sauce, Low Country Grits, Cherrywood-smoked Bacon, and Pickled Green Tomato Chow-chow - $19.00

He is getting more into shrimp and fancied trying this. I tried a bite and it was so much better than my shrimp and grits from Tiffins. A much more consistent texture!

For mains, we both got the Surf & Turf - Sirloin Steak and Lobster Tail served with Yukon Gold Rustic Mash.. Your choice of Butter-poached yielding a tender Lobster Tail or Steamed producing a firmer texture - $52.00

I went for steamed and Ollie chose butter poached. I don’t dip my Lobster in butter, I think it makes it taste odd!

I tried lobster first time here in 2013 and didn’t particularly enjoy it. This surprised me as I love crab, shrimp etc. I’ve tried it a few times since and have really enjoyed it, so I don’t know what was wrong that night.

I can confirm I enjoyed it tonight!

For dessert, Ollie had the Almond-crusted Cheesecake - with Lambert Cherry Sauce -$12.00

He had been waiting since 2013 to have this again and it was as good as he remembered.

I struggled again on the dessert choice – I promise I’m not normally picky with dessert, Disney signature dessert menus just don’t work for me!

I ended up with the Coconut and Chocolate Crème Brûlée - Layered Coconut and Chocolate with Whipped Chantilly Cream and Toasted Coconut -$11.00

I’m not the biggest coconut fan and normally say I only like it in liquid form – in a cocktail or a curry!

The dessert just didn’t do it for me, but that probably more to do with me than the actual dessert. I did enjoy the white chocolate plaque thought!

And that was all our meal credits gone! Only a few snacks to go now…

During our meal it started pouring with rain. This was our first spell of rain in over a week and we really needed it.

I felt the need to take a photo of the fresh flowers in the ladies – clearly I thought this was quite fancy.

After settling up, we popped back to the room quickly as I wanted to grab a cardi as it was a bit chilly out. We also needed to take our swimwear off the balcony. We had left it here to dry, but the rain had the opposite effect!

We took the monorail over the Magic Kingdom. I could get used to staying at a monorail resort There was a long queue at the tapstiles, but it was an Extra Magic Hours evening and it did move quickly in fairness.

Main Street wasn’t too busy considering it was about 10 minutes before the fireworks were due to start, although the crowds nearer the castle were a lot denser. We found a spot, but I had noticed there were no 5/10 minute to go announcements. At 8pm,there was an announcement saying the fireworks would be delayed. Some people left, but I was feeling optimistic looking at the sky. The fireworks soon started at 8.10pm.

Despite someone near us filming with a selfie stick, we enjoyed the show just as much as ever. I love listening to the soundtrack at home to bring back memories of this trip.

As the park didn’t officially close until 9pm, we were still in our Space Mountian FP slot. I think I’ve lost count of the number of times we rode during this trip! It’s one of Ollie’s absolute favourites and because it’s not too intense, I can ride it frequently as well without feeling rough.

After our ride, we wanted to pick up a couple of snacks tomorrow. Although EMH was until 11pm, I noticed that a lot of the food places closed at 9pm, including pretty much every kiosk or smaller location shut at 9pm. I had remembered on previous trips having late night funnel cakes in the park, but then remembered this was in August when the parks were open later, not in EMH. Just something to bear in mind for future – get your snacks early!

I went to Big Top Treats to pick up the Minnie ear blondie brownie, another recommendation from the Disney Food Blog. This was to eat tomorrow to make me fell slightly better about leaving Disney World.

Conscious of time, Ollie went to Gaston’s Tavern to get a cinnamon bun for breakfast. When I arrived a few minutes later, they wouldn’t let me in as it was closed. I explained that my husband was in there (still a novelty using the ‘h’ word) and they let me in.

The cast members in there were really sweet. As we were the last people of the day, they gave us a second cinnamon bun for free. We also picked up a couple of iced waters.

They boxed the buns up, and I popped next door to Bonjour! Village Gifts to try and get a bag. Again, they wouldn’t let me in as it was 9pm. When I explained I just wanted a bag, they did let me inside to get one.

I did notice how long the queue for the Tangled Photopass was tonight. Very glad we already had our picture.

Haunted Mansion was our first stop. This ride is always creepier at night!

The only problem with rides during EMH is it makes the queues look really long as they have to scan a band from each party on the way in to the ride. However, I am glad they check the bands on the way in.

Our doom buggy did pause at one point – it was right by the crooning heads which was a really fun place to stop.

It was then over to Pirates of the Caribbean, as it was down yesterday for our FP slot. Fortunately, we got our own row this time and then didn’t insist on squeezing four adults in a row. We also knew where the photo was this time!

We did check Sleepy Hollow next on the off chance that it was open, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Over in Tomorrowland, we found that Carousel of Progress was closed during EMHs. Such a shame, as we hadn’t been on this trip. Youtube would have to make up for it!

Our final ride of the night was Astro Orbiter – a ride I had never done before.

It took about 25 minutes to get on the ride. There seemed to be a delay with one group coming down the lifts. The downstairs cast member kept phoning upstairs but got no answer. Not a lot she could really do in this situation, as she couldn’t leave her post. Eventually, the group appeared form the lift. Not really sure what the delay was.

Two adults in a shuttle is pretty cramped on this ride. I also found the ride surprisingly intense – spinning at height at a reasonable speed. Beautiful views at night time though! I’m glad I finally rode this one, but it wouldn’t be a must-do for me.

We stopped by the confectionary and used our last two snack credits – Ollie got some sweets for the plane ride home and we picked up a ‘real’ coke to share on our journey back to the GF. We only drink the strong stuff as a treat when we’re abroad.

And that was all of our snack credits gone!

It was now that devastating time where you have to say goodbye to Cinderella Castle and the Magic Kingdom We don’t really know when we’ll be back (I’m hoping for 2021), which is always a bit sad.

We caught the boat back to the Grand Floridian (love all the choices for transport).

Back in the room, we spent quite a bit of time sorting out our cases as they were so heavy. I really don’t know how we accumulated so much stuff! We went to extreme lengths, including squeezing most of the toothpaste out of the tube and only leaving 3 days worth, to try and make it lighter!

I did wear my GF robe while packing to make me feel a bit better.

Eventually we made it to bed about 1.25am. The beds were really comfy, but I was straight asleep anyway.

Day 22 - Travel to New York

Edited at 08:25 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List