Old 17 Aug 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 3 Aviemore

I wake up about 6am so I nip to the toilet and then am just able to open the cabin door to the garden, and Max can sort himself out which is just so easy. I take my medication then we both get back into (our separate) beds for a bit and fall back asleep. I wake up at about 8.30am to a snoring dog.
I pop the kettle on, make myself a coffee then toast 2 hot cross buns for breakfast, setting off the smoke alarm in the process. Both fully breakfasted I pack a bag, load the car and we’re off to Loch Morlich.

I find the right car park after a couple of bodged attempts, and scrape together the £1.50 car parking charge. I get a leaflet with a map (just worth pointing out I’m fair terrible with maps) and set off towards the beach. Well Mr water baby practically drags me in when he sees the loch.

After a couple of false starts, me going the wrong way, then me following the wrong colour signs, and a brief occasion where Max may have decided to join some kayakers, we get on the right trail, we are going to walk all the way round the Loch, about 6km.

It’s quite warm, and very midgey but stunningly beautiful and we don’t see anyone for the first half until we start to come across people who are doing shorter walks from the other way.

Towards the end we cross a bridge and I lose my path altogether, I know I’m not right but I am right next to the loch and can see where I need to go, so I just clip him on the lead and we follow the road.

Later on I see where I need to be; the path is elevated on the other side of the road, but I decide scrambling up verges next to busy roads isn’t overly sensible.
We make it back to the beach, let the boy have one last swim, then head back to the car where much towelling is done, as well as a bit of pre lunch damage control with wet wipes and a clean t-shirt for me.

Our lunch stop is the Old Bridge Inn, and so I park up and we wander in. It’s a beautiful old pub, and it’s Monday today and eat out to help out, and so it’s 50% off. I order a cheese board which comes and is absolutely fab (but why do they never give you enough crackers) and a pint of cider. I have a little nose popping up to see if there is any cheese going spare.

I eventually catch someone’s eye and ordered a piece of cheesecake. This comes with sorbet which makes me really happy as I love sorbet (and can’t eat ice cream).

I get the bill which comes to a mere £11.90. This Eat out to help out is really going to help me stay within budget.

Back in the car, we drive back up the road to the home of the Cairngorm reindeer herd. The hill walk is one of the things I would have loved to do (I did it in 2008 though) but obviously no dogs are allowed, and due to Covid the little paddocks with a few to pat and snap are closed. I drive up regardless though just to see if I can spot one from a distance. Unfortunately no luck, so I head all the way back through Aviemore where I stop at the Cairngorm Brewery to choose some beers for DH as a gift.
I debate dropping the car and going out for a drink, but Max can barely keep his eyes open, and so I nip to the Co-op for a cold bottle of Prosecco. I still do have a couple of half bottles of wine, but neither are cold, so I’ll drink them later in the trip when I get a fridge or a bar with ice I can pinch.

I just have a shower, get in bed for a bit, have a glass of Prosecco, message DH and write my notes.

After a bit of a chill out, I get dressed, sort a few bits out then we wander out and into the village. On the way past we stop at a stone circle I spotted on google maps, pretty funky and right in the middle of a residential area.

We get to our dinner reservation half an hour early, but they kindly seat me anyway, but just say I can’t order food until my reservation time which is no problem. It is super busy and it takes a while to get a drink, but I just read my book.

I decide on a smokey chilli chicken pizza and skin on fries, and it comes and it’s massive!

Also very spicy but really tasty, can’t complain at all. Total including 2 glasses of wine was £20.75, an absolute bargain. I love this eat out to help out business!

We wander back to our little cabin. Pj’s and a chill out in bed, we’re moving on tomorrow and it’s an early start so to sleep for both of us.. a lovely day and I’m so glad to have seen Aviemore again, but I’m excited to move on and see some more new places.

Miles travelled in a car - 15
Amount spent - £51.35

Edited at 10:06 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

I've been checking all night for your latest instalment. I'm loving it. Thank you.
Old 17 Aug 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
I've been checking all night for your latest instalment. I'm loving it. Thank you.
Oh Thankyou for reading, I keep refreshing to see if anyone else has commented too, makes me feel like I have company 😂
Old 17 Aug 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

this post has brought back fantastic memories for me. I used to holiday with my grandparents every year in their caravan. 90% of the time we went to Glenmore, the caravan site right next to Loch Morlich.

So many happy times; they were amazing grandparents and I felt cocooned in love 🥰.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoying reading along and the photos. Where is Max’s bed from it looks super?
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Lovely trip.

We did just over half of the 500, got as far as Tongue then headed directly South instead of completing the West Coast.

Stunning at every turn.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Diz View Post
Really enjoying reading along and the photos. Where is Max’s bed from it looks super?
It’s fab labs by Sophie Allport. He loves it
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Lovely trip.

We did just over half of the 500, got as far as Tongue then headed directly South instead of completing the West Coast.

Stunning at every turn.
I’m in Tongue tomorrow night all going well 😬
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
this post has brought back fantastic memories for me. I used to holiday with my grandparents every year in their caravan. 90% of the time we went to Glenmore, the caravan site right next to Loch Morlich.

So many happy times; they were amazing grandparents and I felt cocooned in love 🥰.
Sounds fab! I had a great set of grandparents too, and we had a lot of caravan trips but mostly to Wales x
Old 18 Aug 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for posting, some gorgeous scenery! What temperature was it up there?
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List