Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 13 Aug 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Kathy Burke's all women. F word!

Not really watching as sorting out stuff for tomorrow, TV on in the background and when did it become OK for a documentary host to use the F word over and over, I'm really shocked to hear her keep saying it 😳

It's no wonder we hear parents using it all the time in front of their kids, its just accepted, but why it's a vile word, one I hate to hear, can't even watch a documentary without hearing it.

Am I in the minority, or just old!
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

If you don’t want to hear swearing on tv then don’t watch tv after 9pm it’s pretty simple.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think the f word is called for in certain situations but we don’t have conversations with the f word in them! If someone really upsets me I might say it, dh says it more and we all tell him off. I am not shocked when I hear it but it’s not a pleasant word to keep hearing over and over! I do think Kathy Burke is funny, especially as Waynetta she was probably brought up hearing it all the time!
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Mumx3 I really wanted to watch this but employed the off button
Such a shame as I really though it had potential
Then again I may be old but my kids 33 31 and 24 would die with there feet in the air if anybody swore in front of me
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I regard swear words as very hot chilli peppers, to be used sparingly and for deliberate effect. I hardly ever swear, so if I do you know it’s bad!

That said - would the first 10 minutes of Four Weddings and a Funeral be as funny if Hugh Grant said ‘Bother’?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
If you don’t want to hear swearing on tv then don’t watch tv after 9pm it’s pretty simple.
I don't think that's the case at all. It's just to watch a documentary where it seems the norm for the presenter to keep using the F word, why is it needed, how many kids do watch after 9pm, especially as it's school holidays?

I really don't swear and hate hearing it, my kids all in their 20's wouldn't dream of using the F word in front of me.
It's just not needed. I think it shows a certain amount of ignorance tbh.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
That's fine. Doesn't really answer the original question which is why Kathy Burke uses swear words so liberally. Overuse makes them less effective IMO.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

I think there is a generation thing with swearing.

My Grandparents - Never swore (that I heard) and you wouldn't dare swear in front of them.
My Parents - I have heard my mum swear on odd occasions when she is really angry/annoyed/upset.
My siblings and I - I swear but its not in my every day vocabulary and very rarely directed at someone in particular.
My nieces and nephews - No problems swearing including in front of people (ages from 13 - 23)

In regards to it on TV I don't recall hearing it all the time unless I am watching stand up comedy. I don't recall a time I have heard presenters swearing even at the watershed. Maybe I have become desensitised to it?

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Kathy Burke is a very sweary person so doesn't surprise me.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I have been known to drop the F bomb but if aimed at someone directly its been called for believe me 😉, I agree with a previous post that its a generational thing, my grandparents I never heard swear, they never swore near me and I would never swear in front of them, my dad swore like a docker he was a butcher in Sheffield Market and before that worked in the abattoir, that was how they all spoke, nowadays they would call it banter, but never ever did I hear my dad swear offensively at people it was just a word he used... I remember taking my first boyfriend home to meet him and my mum and I warned him beforehand to be on his best behaviour... It didn't work, I could've died on spot but that boyfriend said it was fantastic and he felt at ease straight away. When I talk to my mum if I'm telling her a tale and swearing was involved I still change it to they said effing this or effing that.
Kids nowadays what I see fword isn't used as a derogatory word anymore it's an everyday word as well as quite a few more, look on insta or Facebook feeds its constantly used. My girls one is 21 and she does swear, I expect her when at home to moderate her language as her younger sister is 11... That's a big rule in our house, if you swear not in front of lilly and it works most of the time, she does use swear words herself but only when telling me what someone said at school... And the stories she's told me her classmates all have potty mouths, but then again my daughter has autism and will often tell me how it is with no filter, I would expect her though not to swear at anyone herself... But I'm also not naive and know a lot is said by children away from parents ears.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List