Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Mar 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The free element of netflix is in the package you take where for certain ones they take over the payment side by linking your account.

Be aware that UHD is compromised (like the HD was on the older boxes). It does not support HDR in the UK (older 1Tb boxes never will, the very new ones and 2Tb boxes are capable). They have delayed this yet again until at least 2021, if it is important to you, this may be a reason to use Virgin if that is available as their boxes do support it and it is being delivered today.

Many find the whole mesh networking system it uses to be unreliable (it has been for us and I have a full mesh network running for it to connect to so zero dead spots) with frequent requirements to do something to get it all sync'd up and working again. The User Interface and remote design is poor and a backwards step in many ways to the older system, but overall it is worth putting up with those issues for the additional benefits it has (recording, Netflix, play on mini boxes etc).

Oh, and they have finally just launched the ability to directly buy BT Sport, but it looks like it is more expensive that way than others. Cheapest appears to be Plusnet for BB / Phone and BT Sport with Sky for other channels.

Edited at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The User Interface and remote design is poor and a backwards step in many ways to the older system, but overall it is work putting up with those issues for the additional benefits it has (recording, Netflix, play on mini boxes etc).
We went back to Sky HD from Q and have to agree.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

SKY Sports PAUSE to end from 16 June 2020 ?

twitter/f1broadcasting/s...872361987?s=19

Bit too soon for me, think July would be more fair ?

HDR available soon ?
May require box upgrade.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
SKY Sports PAUSE to end from 16 June 2020 ?

twitter/f1broadcasting/s...872361987?s=19

Bit too soon for me, think July would be more fair ?

HDR available soon ?
May require box upgrade.
Does that suggest that a decision has been made about the Premier League returning? I'm sure they said on the radio yesterday that there was a meeting this week.

We've also got BT Sport through Sky and the cost of that was suspended too. We have it for WWE and live WWE has continued throughout the pandemic so that was a nice bonus!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Be aware that UHD is compromised (like the HD was on the older boxes). It does not support HDR in the UK (older 1Tb boxes never will, the very new ones and 2Tb boxes are capable). They have delayed this yet again until at least 2021, if it is important to you
HDR, well HLG, should be activated today...
ispreview/index.ph...o-support.html
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Yep, a compromised solution again from Sky, but better than nothing.

It will also only be for very limited programming at this stage. Even if a programme is available in HDR it will not necessarily be broadcast in it. The amount of UHD content is already still quite low and this is only going to be a subset of that.

Will be frustrating for those who have the older boxes that will need replacing as Sky are not saying how that will happen, as no doubt they will look to charge and send an engineer to do something that can be DIY with some simple instructions.

Premier League meeting is today with the player representatives, whether there needs to be further discussion I have no idea.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I see the premier league meeting has happened and they are moving onto contact training with a view to restart the season in June.

Players will get tested twice a week in this training phase.

bbc/sport/football/52820291
Old 27 May 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Yep, a compromised solution again from Sky, but better than nothing.
Although I can access Netflix/Disney+ through the SkyQ box I've found myself doing it more and more through the TV apps.
The difference in quality on a show like the Mandalorian when it's in HDR is amazing...
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Yep, both Netflix and Disney+ are much better on their SmartTV apps rather than on the SkyQ box, even when the native apps were downscaling their content.
Old 27 May 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

So a total of 3 pieces of content in HLG for the Sky Nature channel. 🥺😪

HLG contents for movies and sport will come at some time in the future as will Netflix and Disney+ support. BBC iPlayer will come sometime next year in time for the Olympics. Back to the native apps as I want to be able to see things in full Dolby and HDR10+.

May as well have waited until there was more content really.

Wonder when they will strike a deal with Amazon to bring Prime. Must have a chat with a friend 🤣