Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
BAs have a very minimal service in their open lounges
True that many of the lounges are not yet open, but it’s not fair to say that the service in the open ones is minimal. BA has made a very good effort under the circumstances to create a Covid-secure lounge offering at LHR T5.

With the exception of no self-service food and drink and the Concorde Room cocktail bar being out of service, it’s pretty similar to the previous provision. In fact, those who only had access to Galleries Club before might be getting a better deal, since the food has probably been upgraded a bit there. The lounges are also less crowded, for obvious reasons.

Right now, if you have access I would recommend eating in the lounge at LHR before any BA flight. At LGW there are currently no operations out of the south terminal, so any BA flights are using the Aspire lounge in the North.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We always fly buisness class for various reasons.
In normal circumstances, the use of the lounge, the priority security, the seat space and bed and better food are so much better and both ways we arrive refreshed not a walking zombie.

However, at this moment, any travel us going to be rubbish.
Virtually no lounge, virgins upper class check in and clubhouse are closed, BAs have a very minimal service in their open lounges,which isn’t nany.

The onboard offerings are poor food wise, yes, you get one hot meal in Business similar to normal economy meals in normal tines instead of the boxed sandwich.
This I don’t believe gas anything to do with Covid, rather airlines temporarily cutting costs.

When are you looking to go?
I can’t see any change for at least six months
Whilst I agree that travel isn't the experience it used to be due to the present circumstances I have to disagree about the "very minimal service" in at least the BA LHR lounges. Yes it is different with table numbers, the use of QR codes for food and drink ordering (a paper menu is also available) and no free pour/self serve drinks. The latter is an advantage to be honest as it prevents some of the more dubious behaviour by some travellers.

I have used LHR in the last couple of weeks visiting the Concorde Terrace, the First Lounge and the Galleries Club South and found the food ordering system works extremely well, the staff are working hard to sustain the CV cleanliness routine which in turn means the lounges look much better and the staff do look a little more relaxed and really appreciate it if people have the courtesy to say thank you.

As there are now a few OneWorld partners also using T5 it remains to be seen if the standard remains but at the moment there are minimal numbers of other members from these airlines frequent flyer clubs utilising the facilities and until travel perks up I don't think this will change much.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We prefer VA's business class over BA.
However, I think you can use Avios on Aer Lingus out of Dublin. AL's business class is streets ahead of both VA and BA IMO. And you get to clear immigration in Dublin.
So an option might be to travel to Dublin the day before and then Aer Lingus to the US.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We always fly buisness class for various reasons.
In normal circumstances, the use of the lounge, the priority security, the seat space and bed and better food are so much better and both ways we arrive refreshed not a walking zombie.

However, at this moment, any travel us going to be rubbish.
Virtually no lounge, virgins upper class check in and clubhouse are closed, BAs have a very minimal service in their open lounges,which isn’t nany.

The onboard offerings are poor food wise, yes, you get one hot meal in Business similar to normal economy meals in normal tines instead of the boxed sandwich.
This I don’t believe gas anything to do with Covid, rather airlines temporarily cutting costs.

When are you looking to go?
I can’t see any change for at least six months

We are going next September so I would hope things will have improved to some degree by then but it will be a gamble of course.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
However, I think you can use Avios on Aer Lingus out of Dublin. AL's business class is streets ahead of both VA and BA IMO. And you get to clear immigration in Dublin.
So an option might be to travel to Dublin the day before and then Aer Lingus to the US.
Thank you I will look into that.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
What do you prefer with VA's Upper ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

We regularly fly Virgin UC and love it! We enjoy the style of the virgin offer and staff and the lounges at LHR (and previously LGW)

Ive flown BA club too and its also a good service but personally we prefer Virgin.

To be honest, any business class seat will be a lovely step up from economy or PE -so its very recommended.

Then there's the dilemma of the out and return! Yes, on the way out the lounge, the service, the drinks etc are all wonderful. You can have them on the way back too and enjoy yourself the whole flight back - but then you might not sleep.

Because weve been many times the routine is on the day flights to enjoy the service and then maybe get a nap half way through as this helps us stay awake the first evening.

On the way back we usually have dinner before we head off - either at the lounge if its available or a restaurant at the resort or near the airport. Then as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off I turn the seat into a bed and go to sleep! So I dont have dinner or drinks or any of the night-time service!

Whichever you do it will be fab and you will struggle not to turn left when you board in the future! 😁😁😁
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Done both & depends on length of flight. Long flight and if I could only do Club World/business, I would do BA for the flatish bed & just on the over night flight. Its not as comfortable as VS Upper but is more comfortable than sitting upright. I never used to sleep on overnight flights just doze but on VS I found on the proper lay flat bed I can sleep the whole flight. Paying for a lay flat bed & not using it as such is a wast of money or miles on either flights IMHO.
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Its funny how there are such different opinions! Personally, I prefer the bed set up in BA CW because I like the ability to lie sort of flat as well as fully flat (If you see what i mean). Although I don't know if the seat/bed is changing in the new VA planes?
I love going outward business because you can really enjoy the lounge and the food on board is really good. Also i like a little nap on the way out too.
Also, I used to be like you and not sleep a wink on the night flight back, but being able to lie flat is a game changer (in my opinion). In fact, last year we flew home from the Bahamas and a combination of a late departure time (10pm) and an Advil PM (very slight sedative) meant I slept pretty much the whole way.
I honestly don't know which I would choose if I had to pick one way. It would probably come down to price - sometimes one leg is much more than the other.
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
What do you prefer with VA's Upper ?
TBH., I prefer most aspects of the VA service. The food (pre-CV19) and service I feel is better. The seats are better laid out - though that was mainly on the 747 which is history, but I also prefer the configurations on other aircraft. And if lucky to be flying from airports with a Club House lounge - these are in a different league.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List