Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Jun 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ashesmod
Excited about Disney

ashesmod's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Avis preferred free additional driver

Hi all,

Advice needed and sorry if it has been asked before.

I have on previous occasions gone straight to the garage with the Avis preferred however on no other journey have I used the free additional driver option.

If I am going to use this option to add someone else to drive the car do I need to still go to the desk to register the additional driver's details etc.

Any advice would be great
ashesmod is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymac
Excited about Disney

If I remember correctly your spouse (domestic partner is also mentioned within T&C) is covered at no extra cost, no need to add details (in the past when I mentioned at desk for my wife, was told nothing to do). Other driverss have cost and need to fill in form, extract from Avis T&C here:

AVIS TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF RENTAL

INTERPRETING YOUR RENTAL AGREEMENT

1. In these Terms and Conditions:

'Accessory' means any equipment attached to the Vehicle, including (as applicable) any global positioning system receiver or similar device or any child restraint, booster or similar equipment;
'Avis Insurance Policy' means a policy of liability insurance held by Avis for Your and an Authorised Driver's liability to a third party for damage to the property of that third party which is caused by the legal use of the Vehicle by You or an Authorised Driver;
'Authorised Driver' means:

an additional driver who signs an Additional Drivers Form;
Your spouse; or
Your employer or a fellow employee, if either is engaged in activities that are incidental to Your business duties;

Edited at 01:03 PM.
Mickeymac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ashesmod
Excited about Disney

ashesmod's Reviews
Thanks for that information. I did not think that the free additional driver needed to be a spouse but someone part of your travel party. I just seen that its an Avios benifit and not an Avis benifit.

Looking at the T&C on BA it states

If you are a member of the British Airways Executive Club, you are entitled to a free second driver with all pre-paid Avis car rental booked via ba.com or over the telephone with us. Simply provide your Executive Club account number at the time of booking – we do not require the name of the second driver. The second driver does not need to be an Executive Club member but they will need to present a full driving licence and a credit card in their name, on collection of the vehicle. Where applicable, a young driver surcharge may apply. If you have an existing booking and didn't provide your Executive Club account number at the time of booking, please telephone us to let us know that you require the free second driver and we will arrange this for you

Nothing about family.

Has anyone used this benefit that knows whether you can add any member of your travelling party as the free additional driver?
ashesmod is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had a huge row with Avis about this a couple of years back. With BA avios card you're supposed to get a free additional driver and I have never had an issue except in the USA, where they insisted it had to be a spouse. It was my husband and mum wanting to drive. In the end I just told them in that case my mother is now his spouse so add her. They pulled a face but conceded - they have no means of confirming someone is a spouse or not.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Ayyone over 25 can be the additional free BA driver (No under 25 allowed if not main driver). your voucher from BA will state free additional driver for BA exec members. They do nto need to be family.

In addition, for all AVIS rentals in the US your spouse or life time partner (at same address) is covered and does not need to be entered on the rental agreement. You do not need to join BA exec for this it is a standard AVIS T&C.

We use the additional BA driver for my DD , so that 3 of us can drive at no cost. Just add DD onto the agreement in the garage.

Bit of a pain now that so many people have joined AVIS Preferred after reading theDibb and needing to queue the first time makes a queue at the garage desk. It's getting as long as the main desks

Edited at 06:23 PM.
fredflintstone is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ashesmod
Excited about Disney

ashesmod's Reviews
Thank you both for the information!
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymac
Excited about Disney

Apologies I didn't realise it was booked via BA and Exec member.

I agree with others what is being said about BA exec enabling additional driver over 25 (not needing to be spouse).

Avis kiosk has in the past wanted to see my Exec membership card, but were happy seeing my phone app
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmojorisin
Earning My Ears

I added my 25 year old daughter last year.

As a preferred member, both of us just went to the kiosk in the garage after loading the car & she was added, no problems
mrmojorisin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymac
Excited about Disney

That just remind me... Next year when we all go, my lad will be 25. I'll have to remember to use BA for booking as a comparison. Always forget to check, but BA have had excellent price a number of times, even when not flying with them.
Old 5 Jun 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Am I right in thinking that to add myself as the second driver we still have to go to the kiosk at the garage? We are avis preferred but have never our name on the board we are flying into Miami this year so no idea what the hire car area is like, I remember LAX being horrendous

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List