Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 3 Aug 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Jodashanne
I want to go now!

Would u add in universal

Hi
Just wondering...this is quite possibly going to be our last trip for a while so was thinking of doing one night in universal towards the end of our two weeks would stay at one of the hotels that offer the express pass would be adding on an extra 1500 to an already expensive holiday, and would mean some serious cut backs and extra hours worked! ,
We have two boys nearly 10 and nearly 13 when we travel next year.
Staying for two weeks at Caribbean beach with qsdp
Just wondered on people’s thoughts
Thanks
Jodashanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Pearlkeeper
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

In your shoes I think I would like to add the Universal, knowing that it would be a while before returning. However I also think if it's going to cause you to cut back on your awesome holiday then don't do it! 10 and 13 are awesome ages! We did a trip when ours were 10 and 12 and we had so much fun. If you have to start cutting back and saying no to ice cream or that souvenir they really want it might make you all miserable. You just can't do it all, it's impossible! So indulge in what you have already planned. You could make yourself a promise that alright it's going to be a while till you go next, but when you do the children will be older and ready for the older things. That you will do the things you missed this time around too.

We have started to go every two years so last trip we only did Universal and SeaWorld. As we didn't maxed out (on time or money) we fitted in trips to the Orlando cat cafe, the Titanic museum, a shopping trip (including a shop called gods and monsters) and my husband went to a soccer match at the studium. Next trip is a Disney trip and we are hoping to fit in an airboat ride.

Really there is only one wrong way to do a Florida holiday and that's to put yourself and family in a position were you are stressed. Otherwise it will be great. Enjoy.
Pearlkeeper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I will openly admit that as I like the more extreme rides, Universal (and SeaWorld+Busch Gardens) are musts for me on any Florida trip - in addition to various waterparks & 3 of the Disney parks - tend to avoid Magic Kingdom.

To the OP, I'd say if your sons are starting to like the rides with a bit of "edge" then do Universal for sure. I'll ride any coaster all day, but some of the non-coaster rides at Universal are excellent - notably Spider-Man & MIB:Alien Attack. Then, of course, you have the Harry Potter sections. I was not a fan of the Wizard before I visited Hogsmeade in IoA... but wow. It is done to perfection. And now there is London in Studios next door too.

To keep the cost down, why not forego the Universal hotel stay and just buy Universal Express passes on the day(s) of your visit? You can buy the pass in each park and it's valid for 1 go on each of the rides covered by it. I think they do a two-park Express pass also due to the Hogwarts Express & guests park-hopping. Admittedly, the Express passes are not as good as the Hotel Guest pass which is unlimited FOTL access, but the saving over a hotel stay is considerable.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

This is our last trip so we are doing everything we can. I couldn't go and not do Universal and IOA.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You will probably find your kids will like Universal more than Disney at their age.
Also the queues at Universal are not as long as Disney and go can tend to see more in a day even without express passes.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

At 10 and 13 why go to Disney, they'd prefer universal, I know my kids do.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Hodders
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
Mine will be 10 and 12 when we go, but I could never miss out on a Disney visit. Water parks, RnR, parades, fireworks.

Disney is so much than rides to me, but we also do Universal.

So I would say if you can do both them go, but unless you are going at a really busy time I wouldn’t bother with express passes.
Hodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
I don't think age comes into it to be honest. We are 45 and 49 and prefer Disney (although we like Universal).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Personally at that age both my DS's preferred Universal and only did a few days at Disney for my fix. It really depends though if your boys are dare devils and are happy riding the bigger rides but if they are Harry Potter fans I would say definitely try and go.

The price you are quoting seems quite high to me though - we are going in October and have the US 2 day park to park ticket (bought when it included 3 days extra free) which was approx £220 each although without the park to park will be cheaper and our one night at RPR booked through BA was £265. Depending on when you are going express passes may not be necessary so you could even just drive or get an Uber to the parks and save costs by not staying over night.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

If Disney stopped the free dinning plan then I dont think I would go back to Disney as we save a fortune on food,parking charges and transport. I not been to Universal since 2011 so lots of new attractions been added since then but spending over £1000 on tickets we can’t enjoy together is to much money to waste but hopefully when my daughter 16 and my son 9 we be able to enjoy all rides together.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List