Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 15 Aug 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Things to do around Berwick, Bamburgh,Seahouses?

So we’ve finally got something booked and stopping at Haggerston Castle for a week. We don’t have access to the pool as we’ve only just booked but are looking to do a few of the activities on offer. On the other days we’d like to get out and about and explore. We’re going to Edinburgh for the day, visit to Holy Island, Bamburgh, seahouses. We have kids age 7 and 3 with us so needs to be child friendly, where are people’s recommendations to visit or explore?

I’ve read about Eyemouth harbour and feeding seals? Has anyone done this? Really don’t fancy the hot trio at seahouses as both me and my daughter get sea sick!

All ideas greatly received 😊

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

Alnwick Castle and Gardens have lots for kids, whereas Bamburgh Castle doesn’t have much. Our kids loved Holy Island, we weren’t really impressed with Seahouses. Barter Books in Alnwick is great for a rainy afternoon, and Dunstanburgh Castle and the beach
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

If it is open I would go to Chainbridge Honey Farm. It has a great cafe on an old double decker bus and the museum bit is nice to wander around. Then you can walk out the back and walk across the bridge from England into Scotland-my kids really loved it. There is also a walk along to Paxton House I think if you want to do more things in that area, if it is open!
Have a look at North East Family Fun for ideas, she has a Facebook page and a website. It will give you plenty of ideas of things to do and is usually very up to date, it may have some info on the seals if she has done that kind of activity.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We just had a few days up there and enjoyed walking the walls at Berwick-upon-Tweed and going to Holy Island .
In the past Alnwick gardens and bamburgh beach are lovely
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

Take a boat trip to the Farne islands from Seahouses with Serenity or Billy shiels. You need to book your place on the boat in advance due to reduced numbers. Many of the migrating birds including the puffins have gone now but it’s still a lovely trip out with plenty to see including the seals, and if you are luck porpoises.

We live quite locally and my kids enjoyed bamburgh castle when they were younger, we were there last week and had a great time. I do agree that alnwick castle has more for kids with the Harry Potter connection.

Then there is the Ford and Etal estate with a steam railway, another castle (English Heritage) and my favourite, Hays Heavy Horse farm.

I am sure you will have a great time

BB

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Thanks everyone, the railway and etal look like they could be good 👍 We’ve just been getting the causeway times for holy island as want to take the kids across there and then show them when the road has disappeared. We’ve booked the train for Edinburgh for a day. Think we’ll have plenty to do 😊

vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by vickitoria10 View Post
Thanks everyone, the railway and etal look like they could be good 👍 We’ve just been getting the causeway times for holy island as want to take the kids across there and then show them when the road has disappeared. We’ve booked the train for Edinburgh for a day. Think we’ll have plenty to do 😊
We take our school kids (year 12) across to Holy Island each year. We get the bus to drop us off on the mainland side, get the kids to take off their shoes and socks and we walk alongside the road where the posts are. The kids end up loving it but make sure you get your timings correct. It makes it an amazing day. Done it 5 times now.
Old 18 Aug 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Alnwick castle / gardens is fab. On a warm day the kids can play in the fountains.

I wouldn’t go into Bamburgh castle, but the beach there is lovely.

We did the Billy Shiels farne island boat and the kids were really seasick, so I’d only do it if it’s very calm.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Fish & chips / ice cream in eyemouth as well.

Fox lakes (little one may be too young) probably do a raft ride though.

East Links at Dunbar (perfect for their age).

Beach- ross farm or sugar sands.

Pot a doodle doo at Berwick.
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Than you for these suggestions. Plenty to do even if the weather might not play ball!