Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Sep 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We have done a few days without a car and it’s ok when on-site at Disney. But I’d want some days with a car to do those off site thing I enjoy.

If you want to spend 10 out of 14 days at Disney, would you be better at a hotel nearer disney with free parking?

Uber from universal to Disney is $20 each way, so that’s $400 if you go 10 times. Which makes the car seem more reasonable.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

The first time we went without a car we were offsite and used a car service due to needing two full-size car seats for 4-year-olds. It was expensive and we did need to pre-book our park timings in advance, but having a chauffer driven fancy-pants car was lovely. We stayed in a hotel near amenities such as restaurants and supermarkets etc.. and one day we did get the Lynx bus from outside our hotel to MK.

Last time we were onsite and used a combination of Disney transport and Uber / Lyft. I don't feel like it restricts freedom for us personally. For example, end of Happily Ever After in August when the world and his wife wants to leave the park and get on transport - 10 minute walk to Bay Lake Tower, order the Uber on the way, arrive at lobby to find the car waiting, back at our hotel 12 minutes later and cost was $17 (this was for an XL, and UberX would have been $13).
Old 27 Sep 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

No chance we'd ditch the car, we enjoy staying in the onsite bubble but go out most days for offsite lunches and the girls shopping fixation
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No, we love the freedom of a car, to come and go when we please and not have to rely on other people. We have used Uber a few times when dh has wanted a drink & when onsite and the buses were taking ages. That said, if we were staying onsite at Disney, and wanting to stay in the bubble with dining plan etc, then no, I think it would be a waste of money.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

We have done this a couple of trips and saved a fortune using Ubers. It works fine if you are just doing the local parks. Fine to get to the shops as well as long as you have data on your phone as shop wifi is hit and miss sometimes.
We also found it quicker when exiting the parks as Uber pick up was quicker than the normal tram ride/walk to your parked car.
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It all depends on what or where you want yo go. I use uber because I dont go very far. There is no right or wrong answer
Old 2 Oct 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

I'm uhming and ahing myself at the mo.

A Pacifica style (which we prefer, or a large SUV like a Tahoe) is coming in at £571. When you consider we paid £385 last year for a Tahoe (£750 this year!) it's a bit much. Based on 2 weeks.

Plus the parking fees are getting expensive. I do like to drive out there though with the extra freedom it brings, but with an hotel with shuttles it does make you think.

At the mo I'm going to wait to see if prices come down. If they do I'll book and just re-book whenever there's a fall, but as it stands the price is too high for me to go in at the mo.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
For me it’s no car = no holiday

Don’t like relying on others and would miss the freedom.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We only do WDW parks when we're staying in WDW hotels and, as such, there is absolutely no need for a car at all - we just wouldn't use it.

We wouldn't use it because we use Disney transport and Ubers to get around.

We wouldn't use it because we both like a drink and if we drive to the parks, or when out for dinner, we may have to make compromises on our cocktail consumption - and who the hell wants to compromise on holiday?!?

On our last trip I picked up a car at Tampa airport, dropped the family off at the Beach Club around 75 minutes later and dropped the car off at the Dolphin 5 minutes after that - it was an 80 minute rental.

After 10 nights at the Beach Club and 2 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, where we had no desire to leave WDW property, we picked up a car again for the remainder of our holiday (a Disney Cruise and a week in a house with pool in Davenport).

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
For us I think the time has come to only hire a car for the days when we will use it, we like to stay on site and we don't need a car for the full two weeks.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List