Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lightyear
slightly serious Dibber

Would you follow a good boss to another job?

2020 is keeping it's rubbish streak going and I was told this week my role no longer exists. I can take redundancy or apply for other internal roles. So far I have decided I am going to apply internally because the job market out there is terrible, if I don't get a role I'll need to look anyway but I'll have my redundancy cheque.

Anyway, my boss is in the same boat and he is by far the best boss I've ever had. As long as we do our work he let's us do what we want, supports training, supports us personally, etc. He is in discussions externally and has hinted at roles for other team members. He also did this years ago when he joined my work, brought loads of folk with him.

Would you follow a good boss to an unknown company, take the redundancy cheque and leave 10+ years service in a more established business or stay if a new role is offered in a new team?
Lightyear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
2020 is keeping it's rubbish streak going and I was told this week my role no longer exists. I can take redundancy or apply for other internal roles. So far I have decided I am going to apply internally because the job market out there is terrible, if I don't get a role I'll need to look anyway but I'll have my redundancy cheque.

Anyway, my boss is in the same boat and he is by far the best boss I've ever had. As long as we do our work he let's us do what we want, supports training, supports us personally, etc. He is in discussions externally and has hinted at roles for other team members. He also did this years ago when he joined my work, brought loads of folk with him.

Would you follow a good boss to an unknown company, take the redundancy cheque and leave 10+ years service in a more established business or stay if a new role is offered in a new team?
My daughter did this didn’t regret it but works for another company, such a personal decisión

Sorry about your job loss. ≈≈≈≈≈ year isn’t it
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

No job or company is a safe bet... especially at the moment as you have experienced (sorry to hear of your redundancy) so potentially security is not a consideration for either company? We spend a lot of time at work, so I think to work with/for someone you know well, trust and get on with is very important. If the money is the same/not an issue I would follow the manager. Ive had geat bosses and awful ones in similar roles and I know that any of the jobs were always better with the personal happiness factor going on. Whatever you decide, i hope you find new post soon.

Edited at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My daughter boss is planning on leaving their store and starting her own company but she is waiting till my daughter gets her qualifications and can come with her.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My fabulous boss left to work for another company. Our new boss is nice, fairly good but nowhere near fabulous.
Our old boss has been gone 9 months and so far 4 of our team have left to go and work for him in his new company. We expect another one to go soon too.

We all had faith in our old boss, we knew he would fight our team's corner to the end in any company restructure. The new boss isn't tough enough.

If you trust your old boss, go with him/her
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Glyndsey
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Yes If i felt I could trust them a good boss is hard to find. , my boss is only out for himself as he asked for a lot more holiday and his pay rises agreed by the trustees are a higher percentage than ours he worked from home part too before this happened so everything his way yet nothing for us. Worked in previous firms where booses left to start up there own firm and taken staff with them the two places that happened the people are still working there 5 and 10 years later.
Glyndsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I do hope that all these interviews are fair and that no one is in breach of their contract of employment
Seen far too many managers try to pinch staff from previous employers and get sued and a few grievances thrown in for an unfair interview process
Old 10 Oct 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I'd say don't follow your boss. My SIL was a good boss she left for a great new job & her PA went with her. SIL hated the new company & decided to move on to a different area altogether - didn't need a PA anymore sadly! Bottom line is do you really want to rely on someone else's decisions? Think about YOUR future carefully.
Old 10 Oct 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I brought numerous members of staff with me when I moved- they arrived in dribs and drabs over the next few years as I was on restrictive covenants. A couple of them have worked with me for 15+ years. We make a great team.
Old 10 Oct 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

I would say be open to the idea but you can't make a decision yet. I think you should look at what's available internally for now, however tell your boss that you are definitely interested in working with him again. Once he has made the move and you can see where you would be working and what role is available you can make an informed decision.
At least you know that if there isn't a suitable internal role for you there may be an option of taking the redundancy and following your boss.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List