Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 26 Nov 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

we have what we call a xmas day survival kit it contains all the bits you may need on the day like batteries, screwdrivers in various sizes including the tiny ones, scissors

Nothing worse than frantically trying to find something to open the packaging or finding the right size tool/battery for the random tat they were gifted and want to play with right this second

I don't do different paper for each as I think it ruins it a little knowing exactly which gifts are for who at a glance instead I use a different coloured sticker for each person. Ds might get a gold star dd a xmas tree ect saves writing labels and keeps them guessing.

We do the stocking thing - we also leave the stockings downstairs that way santa doesn't disturb them either
(doesn't have to wait all night till they fall asleep )
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I have everything out and ready for when we wake on Christmas morning. Coffee cups lined up, coffee machine filled, champagne glasses for Bucks Fizz out on the worktop, black bin bags hidden behind the sofa ready to collect all the wrapping paper. Only little things but it makes it all the better.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

I do the different paper for each child too as it makes it so much easier to put them out on Christmas Eve! I’ve never thought to have 2 stockings! But I do have a bag for each child and put all their stocking stuff in there so I just have to empty it into the stocking on Christmas Eve without sorting it out.
We also do a protracted Christmas dinner so that the kids might actually eat some! They’re 12 and 16 now so probably less need these days, but we have our starter, then have a gap between it and the main dinner. Otherwise we found they didn’t eat any of the main meal at all and then were hungry later
Floridadreams is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Cook the meats the day before Xmas day.

Veg, roasties and yorkie puds only take an hour on Xmas Day. Easy, no stress and everyone happy. Bonus you get hot sandwiches on Xmas Eve.

Ignore most of the 'perfect Xmas' cookery programmes. Full of pretentious tosh.

It's one day a year, don't stress and just enjoy it. Spread it over 3 or 4 days. We rarely have an Xmas pud until well into January.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

One year I was frantically cleaning the house on Christmas Eve and had to walk to our local shop to get something I'd forgotten about in my jogging bottoms and house cleaning garb.
I met my cousin who looked lovely and dressed up who was heading into town for lunch out. She looked me up and down and said "I used to be like you at Christmas until one year I had a meltdown cleaning up after 5 people and after that I never ran myself into the ground over Christmas again"

Wise words, I really took this on board and now i spend Christmas Eve in a more relaxing way. I no longer worry if everything is done, it's a day and it doesn't matter if anything is missed.
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

I feel the pain in your situation. A few years ago when the kids were younger, I was adamant on creating the “perfect” day making everything from scratch, sausage rolls, trifles, bread sauce, yorkshire puddings, hasselback potatoes, mince pies, stuffing etc. Instead of enjoying Christmas Eve with the kids, I spent most of the day in the kitchen, even Christmas Day itself i’d bought such a big turkey that I spent most of the day in the kitchen. I’m a person who loves Christmas, and that year I felt i’d actually missed out trying to make it perfect. I vowed from then that it doesn’t matter if a few shortcuts are taken (eg shop bought mince pies, trifle etc), and I only ever buy a turkey crown now so that I don’t spend all day in the kitchen.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
I feel the pain in your situation. A few years ago when the kids were younger, I was adamant on creating the “perfect” day making everything from scratch, sausage rolls, trifles, bread sauce, yorkshire puddings, hasselback potatoes, mince pies, stuffing etc. Instead of enjoying Christmas Eve with the kids, I spent most of the day in the kitchen, even Christmas Day itself i’d bought such a big turkey that I spent most of the day in the kitchen. I’m a person who loves Christmas, and that year I felt i’d actually missed out trying to make it perfect. I vowed from then that it doesn’t matter if a few shortcuts are taken (eg shop bought mince pies, trifle etc), and I only ever buy a turkey crown now so that I don’t spend all day in the kitchen.
Working shifts and Christmas days etc for so many years made me appreciate Mr Marks and Mr Spencers invaluable help with Christmas food!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
This is it in a nutshell, one year I decided I'd make Nigellas gingerbread stuffing from scratch. I slaved over it in the kitchen on my own while everyone else had fun in the other room. It was absolutely disgusting!

We still laugh about how awful it was and it's a family joke that I'd temporarily taken leave of my senses! Took my cousin to drive the lesson home though!
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 20, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Like a lot of people, I love my house smelling of Christmas 😊 I use yankee candles, different size jars depending on the offer. I get frustrated when my candle has burned down and I am left with a useless lump of wax around the edge.
To get the most of my wax I use a sharp knife (so please be careful) stab the wax when it is cool and solid, this brakes away from the jar easily. I then put that broken, useless wax onto my burner and put a tea light under it. Its just as good as a wax melt 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Just remember, wax melts don’t burn away so they need replacing often.

Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Don’t take your turkey out the oven and then wrap it in foil and towels as you just create a secondary oven and the Turkey which is nicely cooked will simply overcook. A turkey will retain its heat for at least 90 mins so please NO FOIL and sleeping bags
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List