Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 14, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Question * Spiders? *

I don't really understand WHY so many people are scared of them.

I'm not but my husband is terrified, he turns into a little screeching girl when one is around But why?

Is it media, most peoples perception?
They can't actually do anything to you (unless you're in an exotic country I suppose) so I don't really understand the fear.

Even our 6 year old is starting it even though I'm trying to tell him not to be scared of them.

Are you scared of spiders? What is the actual reason or do you not have one?
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My son hates to even look at a picture of one!
My eldest used to also scream at the sight of one but then ended up handling a tarantula at work!
I'm not too scared & would never kill one. I would handle a small one but no way would I a medium/large one.
I think it's just the way they look & walk & all those legs. Especially the large ones that are hairy & you can see their eyes !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I don't like them, but then I don't like any bugs, think it's seeing them move more than anything else.

I don't let dd see that I'm scared though as I don't want her to be.

There seem to be a lot of spiders about at the moment. I'm constantly clearing webs away. It's very annoying!
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
I don't like them but I am brave enough now to be able to remove them from the house (I wont kill them). I think it's all the legs, and the fact they move quite quickly.

This did make me laugh though as this morning I got in the shower and looked down to see a huge spider in the bottom of the shower. I screamed and jumped right out again. OH came running in but by this time the spider has been washed down the plug hole. I had water everywhere, so wasn't very popular. Plus, because I didn't have my glasses on I don't think he really believes there was a spider in the first place. I know I am blind but I know a spider shape, and it was pretty big

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I am terrified of spiders. When we had stand alone instead of fitted wardrobes, a big spider walked under the decorative gap at the bottom. I made my dad come around and take out the wardrobe to get to the spider!

I think the reason I don't like them is that they are very fast and seem to disappear. One minute they are on the back of you hand and then 'poof' they are gone! Are they up your sleeve? Or dangling on a thread swinging towards your jeans leg…and you don't know yet.

You might be laying on the sofa…just to have one of the cheeky things crawl over your leg! I mean…what other bug has the audacity!?

Then they have far too many legs. And they cover everything in web. They are disgusting.

Spiders also bite. They crawl on you…you haven't searched them out. They sit on your leg, give you a right startle and then they bite you. (OK not all of them), but when I was in hospital with suspected appendicitis, the lady in the next bed was in with a spider bite. She was in for 2 weeks because it kept getting infected! Spider bites are the dirtiest things.

I also hate the fact they hide. Normal bugs just walk across things. Spiders they squeeze themselves into corners and gaps where they can maximise their surprise entrances.

Also I see perfectly well with two eyes. As do most creatures. So why on earth do they need to have 8 eyes? You know you are being watched.

Eurgh….shiver.
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
panomania
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post
he turns into a little screeching girl when one is around But why?
because spider are evil! and should be made extinct! my phobia came when I was about 12 and my dad let me watch arachnophobia .

I'm like your husband I too scream like a girl. I once refused to go to the toilet for 3 hours because the wife was at work and there was a massive spider in the toilet! Just the other day I nearly crashed my car as I was driving I felt something on my hand I looked down and it was a spider on me, I was literally terrified.

and for that reason spiders are pure evil!
panomania is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
welovepedro
Imagineer

welovepedro's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
They actually make me feel physically sick , big or small.

Heebie Jeebies
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
panomania
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by welovepedro View Post
They actually make me feel physically sick , big or small.

Heebie Jeebies
any kind of spiders epically toy ones, I had to walk out of the entertainer toy shop because they had them in there! the pure sight of on makes me want to be sick
panomania is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
They don't bother me... but put a cockroach anywhere near me and I turn into Usain Bolt
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 14, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
They don't bother me... but put a cockroach anywhere near me and I turn into Usain Bolt
Yes I think cockroaches are worse. At least spiders have a purpose on this planet!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread