Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Came across this

cordbusters/sky-gl...g-tv-hands-on/
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
You be able to watch free view channels and that it
That would only work if it has a dvbt and dvbt2 tuner and a aerial
I have read the spec and they are so confident they have included a aerial input so you might need a aerial as well for a backup.

Edited at 11:59 AM.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
So to sum up sky glass, it’s a updated now tv with a tv built around it
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
What I don’t understand are the comments saying about watching from catch up and progs not being available straight away. So what happens with Virgin cable and TiVo, surely if that’s via the net it’s the same thing?

Here’s a good review on the new Glass, probably the most comprehensive so far.

whathifi/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
So to sum up sky glass, it’s a updated now tv with a tv built around it
Pretty much, but more Q I’d say, plus inbuilt speakers.
Ok it’s not for everybody but easier for some as everything is all in the tv rather than a separate Q box and separate speakers.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bouncing Tigger View Post
Pretty much, but more Q I’d say, plus inbuilt speakers.
Ok it’s not for everybody but easier for some as everything is all in the tv rather than a separate Q box and separate speakers.
We bought the sound bar that sky were pushing a couple of years ago and it was terrible so we sent it back.
Our sound bar is much better so I definitely think we are more inclined to just keep as is now I’ve heard more about it.
Also think the tv’s are a bit ugly and bulky looking 😳
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
What I don’t understand are the comments saying about watching from catch up and progs not being available straight away. So what happens with Virgin cable and TiVo, surely if that’s via the net it’s the same thing?

Here’s a good review on the new Glass, probably the most comprehensive so far.

whathifi/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish
Virgin cable comes in via a cable plugged into the back of the box
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Virgin isn't using the internet to stream their content, it collects all the programmes from various sources and then broadcasts them over Fibre/Coax to your house. So internet can go down and you can still view/record their TV service. Much like you can with the current Sky and Dish set up.

If Sky Glass was going to be like virgin then it would be good, but it looks like it's reliant on an internet connection to stream the content, just like Now TV, for example.

With Catchup (in its current guise) when a programme is broadcast live it usually isn't available on catch up for a few hours afterwards and then it is usually only available for a limited number of days before it expires.

Someone gave an example above... set your box to record a sporting event that you know you are going to miss the first half an hour of. When you eventually get home you start playing the recording from the beginning. With catch up you may have to wait for the event to finish then be processed then be uploaded to the catch up schedule, this could be 4+ hours before you can watch.

As I said in my first post this will appeal to a lot of people but there are a few unknowns at the moment. 'IF' it is reliant on an internet connection and 'IF' no changes are made to the current Catch Up system and 'IF' there is no local or cloud storage for recordings then as I said I think that will be a deal breaker for many.

Edited at 01:19 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
The thing with speakers is they work by moving air, so ones built into a thin tv will always struggle to sound a good as a half decent soundbar
Old 10 Oct 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
This is nothing to do with improving technology it is about cost cutting firstly you are going to pay for the hardware you are not renting it like q, they say they will keep all their installers but I doubt It, then the saving on cable, dish’s, lnb, next is the satellite themselves sky doesn’t own the satellite they rent the multiplex so if they can move everyone onto wifi the savings will be in the multi million but I can guarantee your subscription won’t come down.