Notices

Old 20 Apr 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

The 200th birthday trip!

So we had a big trip planned for August 2020 that was right in-between mine and my friend's 50th birthday, of course we all know what happened about that SO we've rescheduled for February 22.

Originally it would have been 6 of us as both couples were taking our youngest, but my friend's DD has since bought a flat and my DS is off to University (or The Navy, undecided, long story...).

As it's now just the 4 of us, we've decided to extend it to incorporate the 'boys' 50th birthdays also, as my friends DH is a few months older than her, but my toyboy DH's 50th is in February 2022, hence it's now the 200th birthday trip.

Cast

Jo - me, will be 51 by then (eek!). Many trips under my belt, the first being in 1992.

Steve - DH, will turn 50 on the trip. Turned into a Disney / Florida fan by myself successfully over the years.

Heather & Nigel - the 'oldies' (I can get away with saying that as their not Dibbers ) but very young at heart & fun loving. Nigel is a very big Star Wars fan so we're hugely excited about showing him Galaxy's Edge and learning all the details that have gone over our heads.

So far we have...

Flights

Reward flights booked with Virgin for us, we've depleted our miles account again and managed to secure 2 upper class returns to Miami, should Orlando become available then we'll change (for £30 each) but nabbed Miami as they were available then.

Our friends have a voucher from BA so have used that for their flights direct to Orlando, as we're looking at landing in Miami, we've booked to arrive the day before them, then we'll collect them from MCO When they land, probably wearing chauffeur caps.

Car hire

Full size car booked with Andy from DFCH, very happy with the price at £624, we could have had an SUV for the same price, but DH isn't a fan of driving them and prefers a saloon. Which keeps him out of my own SUV so no complaints

Accommodation

Booked via DVC with our own points, so far we have 1 night in a studio at Beach Club Villas for just DH & I on the first night, then the next day we move to a 2 bedroom at the same resort.

We then have a 2 bed at Copper Creek booked for the second week, but the plan is to try and move to the Grand Floridian 2 bedroom lake view at 7 months. I'm not convinced we'll be able to get this, so am currently considering pulling some points forward and doing a 10:4 night split with The Beach Club Villas and a Cascade Cabin at Copper Creek. We really want something at the end of the trip to give them a different experience and the wow factor.

They've only been to WDW twice, staying at Fort Wilderness and Animal Kingdom, they've chosen The Beach Club to stay at for the location.

Some original plans for August 2020 were...

Airboat ride - which I'm pretty sure we'll be able to book easily, Spirit of the Swamp were fantastic with our cancellation and refund, so very keen to use them again.

Surfing lesson at Typhoon Lagoon - this was my birthday present to my friend, I'm really not sure if it'll be running at that time of year so may need to look at alternatives.

Celebration / firework Cruise - they were buying this for me as my birthday present, so no idea if they'll be running again by then so another thing we may be looking for an alternative to.

That's all for now, plans to evolve as more opens up...

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
babynugget
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds exciting, look forward to reading more of your plans!
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Jo it sounds fab!

What are your dates? We are still very much TBC but could be there 8-30 October and if we cross over I’d love to meet you IRL
Old 21 Apr 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Jo it sounds fab!

What are your dates? We are still very much TBC but could be there 8-30 October and if we cross over I’d love to meet you IRL
Hey Karen, this trip is 28th Jan - 12th Feb, but we're out this October also from 1st - 15th. BCV/DCL/CCV 7/3/4.

Totally up for meeting up with you guys

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A quadruple 50th birthday bash sounds fantastic. I hope you end up getting the GF 2 bed that you are after. My DH would love to stay there one day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A quadruple 50th birthday bash sounds fantastic. I hope you end up getting the GF 2 bed that you are after. My DH would love to stay there one day.
Thank you

I'm not confident on the GF, looking at the availability now it's pretty booked up until the middle of January and we can't alter it until early July.

It's the only DVC resort we've not stayed at (apart from Riviera which I've no interest in), so quite keen to give it a try now, all the years it had plenty of availability I wasn't interested in it!

Will keep my fingers crossed though, you just never know.

Old 1 May 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Ooh this sounds fabulous! It’s the ultimate dream to escape the dreary cold weather in February for some sunshine and with Disney in the mix it couldn’t get any better 😍
It will be lovely having an adults only holiday to celebrate with your friends. I’ve got my fingers crossed you get to swap to the GF, my dream resort. Although there’s something about Wilderness Lodge that is pretty special too

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Post borders opening update

So as you all know, we're delighted to be actually planning this trip, planning evening is in the diary in time for our 60 days ADR window so we can decide between us where we want to pre book.

DH & managed to change our flights to Orlando, with no fee to pay, which was a very nice surprise as we were expecting to pay £30 each per leg!

We've also extended our trip and are now flying out a week early to use up the DVC points our cancelled October trip would have used and have splurged them all on a concierge stateroom for a 4 night DCL Dream Bahamian cruise from Port Canaveral after 2 nights onsite, we'll then be able to collect our friends from MCO when they arrive so will have a change to do some shopping and have everything ready for them.

We did manage to get the 2 bed at GFV for the 2nd week (our 3rd now!), which I'm delighted about and just can't wait to share with them. Booked a lock off originally, then after looking at pictures we decided to go for dedicated 2 beds at both resorts for the extra storage, we don't need the kitchenette in the studio / 2nd bedroom and the extra bed won't impact on us.

So all systems go

Edited at 12:01 PM.