Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 30 Jul 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Plant based foods

Hiya,

Has everyone noticed how everywhere now it’s talking about plant based foods rather than vegetarian/vegan?

Is it just me that is put off by the term ‘plant based’?

I’m not a vegetarian, but I do quite like veggie options, but the words ‘plant based’ really turn me off, possibly as I’m not overly keen on perfumy tastes in my food, and whilst I know this doesn’t mean that, I can’t help but picture flowers when I think plant based!

Anyone else? Or am I just weird?! 😂
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Have a read of this ref Seaweed. Looks an exciting concept.

bbc/news/uk-scotland-57996627

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hiya,

Has everyone noticed how everywhere now it’s talking about plant based foods rather than vegetarian/vegan?

I’m not a vegetarian, but I do quite like veggie options, but the words ‘plant based’ really turn me off, possibly as I’m not overly keen on perfumy tastes in my food, and whilst I know this doesn’t mean that, I can’t help but picture flowers when I think plant based!

I understand what you are saying and I think it is trying to steer away from the 'vegan' label (which for some is very off putting) - Vegan is a lifestyle rather than just the food you eat so by saying it it plant based it covers all dietary needs.

I'm not sure what else they could call it without being long winded.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I think of flowers and plants as different things; they're labelled as either plants or flowers in shops & on websites.

So, the term 'plant based foods' never makes me think of flowers!
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I think vegan has become a bit militant, I also think plant-based reflects a lot of people who aren't vegan but want to reduce meat and dairy for environmental reasons. I'm a meat eater, but trying to reduce my meat and dairy consumption. I was vegetarian for years but ended up eating so much dairy which is obviously poor from both animal welfare and environmental point of view.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hiya,

Yes we have said that recently. I don’t really like the term plant based, it doesn’t make me think of flowers but I am not sure if it means vegetarian or vegan. I like vegetarian options at times, but vegan is another matter and I would rather know if it is vegan or not before I order.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I would always interpret plant based as vegan.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
Then I want to know where all the vegetarian options have gone.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Plant based environmentally friendly food, processed and packaged up in loads of plastic and cardboard, made to look and 'taste' like meat?

No thanks.

If Tristian and Jacinda (other names are available) want to kid themselves this is saving the planet then let them crack on.

When I eat veg it comes from the actual plant, raw then I prepare and cook it. Radical I know.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I would agree I see them as the same, Plant Based will not include any animal products at all - same as Vegan.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List