Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 30 Jul 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

My ds is vegan so we eat plant based stuff often and a lot of it is nice.
Doesn’t put me off and I don’t see vegan stuff as any different to vegetarian.. other than no dairy obviously! 😆
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hiya,

Has everyone noticed how everywhere now it’s talking about plant based foods rather than vegetarian/vegan?

Is it just me that is put off by the term ‘plant based’?

I’m not a vegetarian, but I do quite like veggie options, but the words ‘plant based’ really turn me off, possibly as I’m not overly keen on perfumy tastes in my food, and whilst I know this doesn’t mean that, I can’t help but picture flowers when I think plant based!

Anyone else? Or am I just weird?! 😂
I've been following a plant based diet for a few months now on Dr's orders due to having to limit protein because of CKD. Plant based isn't necessarily vegan or vegetarian, it just focuses primarily on foods derived from plants instead of meat and dairy. Being a self confessed carnivore, it was an adjustment to begin with but, like any way of eating, you get used to it eventually.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Not at all put off by the term plant-based. On the other hand, I'm very put off at the thought of consuming animal-based products which come from suffering and death.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDante View Post
Not at all put off by the term plant-based. On the other hand, I'm very put off at the thought of consuming animal-based products which come from suffering and death.
Difficult one to reconcile. Without the whole meat eating thing then there would be no domesticated livestock at all. We would then need to find something else to eat and a celery stick isn’t going to cut it with most people. So bugs perhaps?
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Difficult one to reconcile. Without the whole meat eating thing then there would be no domesticated livestock at all. We would then need to find something else to eat and a celery stick isn’t going to cut it with most people. So bugs perhaps?
I’ve been vegan since last year and not eaten celery once. I’ve even had burgers, pizzas, black pudding, chocolate, bacon, sausages etc, even a doner kebab. Of course I do also eat vegetables, rice and pulses.

If you’ve not tried any of the vegan alternatives I encourage you to give them a try. There are new options coming out all the time.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Then I want to know where all the vegetarian options have gone.
I didn’t understand your point until a vegetarian friend came visiting this weekend.
We ate out a couple of times, and there were plenty of options, but all vegan. We had lunch in Wales on Saturday and there was a big list of burger options. 2 were vegan which is great, but includes vegan mayo etc. She said she would have loved a bit of cheese, an egg, and burger sauce (all options with a meat based burger). She did ask re the mayo, but it caused a bit of confusion.
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDante View Post
I’ve been vegan since last year and not eaten celery once. I’ve even had burgers, pizzas, black pudding, chocolate, bacon, sausages etc, even a doner kebab. Of course I do also eat vegetables, rice and pulses.

If you’ve not tried any of the vegan alternatives I encourage you to give them a try. There are new options coming out all the time.
I eat vegan alternatives all the time, I'm not a vegan, but it is all just food.

(Apart from vegan cheese! There is a prize waiting somewhere for someone who can develop a decent one...)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Ridiculous.
There is nothing wrong with reducing the meat consumption in this country and if everyone just had a day or two a week without meat or even dairy we’d probably be a bit healthier for it .
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I eat vegan alternatives all the time, I'm not a vegan, but it is all just food.

(Apart from vegan cheese! There is a prize waiting somewhere for someone who can develop a decent one...)
We are vegetarian and DD has also pretty much cut out dairy and have found cheese the hardest thing to replace. Have found some really good vegan mozzarella in Sainsbury’s for making pizzas and also Vegan applewood smoked cheese is Good for cheese toasties but haven’t found one I’d eat much of uncooked
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MamatoFelix
VIP Dibber

Plant based is the term I use to describe my diet when asked. Veganism is a lifestyle, there’s far more to it than what you eat. I haven’t eaten meat for 15+ years. Vegetarian and vegan food has come a long way since then!
California, Arizona and Nevada - 19
MamatoFelix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List