Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

I suppose a lot depends on how much your child has grown.

I replace shirts every term, mainly due to them not looking very white (I know there are things I can use to wash them in etc).

Skirts can be a nightmare, she is very slim with long legs, so they can very quickly look too short so need replacing. I don’t find her blazer that expensive, she has had two and she’s in Year 10.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

It’s been a few years since I’ve bought any school uniforms, my youngest is 23, but I can still remember the price of her uniform being extortionate.

Her blazer was £95, 2 skirts approx £60, 2 jumpers approx £50, white shirts, summer shirts, tie, school scarf, specific colour tights that could only be bought from the school uniform supplier, and plain black leather shoes which were normally around £60 a pair.

Then there was 2 PE kits, hoodies, running leggings, tracksuit (all had to be school specific) and protective equipment, school bags etc

It was at least £500 for her alone.
Danex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My thoughts are actually less about the cost and about whether it’s needed. To think that many of these kids may have to work suits from when they leave school to when they retire let them have some freedom and be kids now.

The tie is the thing that really gets me even when I was still working in London hardly anyone was wearing a tie so why make kids at school ?

I have to say DD loves wearing her uniform but I have heard other parents say that it has on occasion made the kids targets by the local comp.

I just think let them be kids even if the uniform is similar to primary dark trousers or skirt and polo shirt and logo top no blazer no tie and I would prefer them to wear trainers or boots to shoes that give little support.

I would be happy for them to wear joggers I don’t believe any of this would affect their performance.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
You would have loved the young girl I saw this morning, black stockings with her garters hanging down from her very short black skirt, brown jacket and orange/yellow hair! Grandson is a 1st year so away to school so smart and then older kids doing their "version" of the uniform!
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
You would have loved the young girl I saw this morning, black stockings with her garters hanging down from her very short black skirt, brown jacket and orange/yellow hair! Grandson is a 1st year so away to school so smart and then older kids doing their "version" of the uniform!
Just out of interest and please don’t take this the wrong way but how does the way someone else’s child dresses affect you ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I would hope she was promptly sent home!
Old 17 Sep 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My daughter's school uniform is part branded logo part not, she has to wear a logoed blazer, school tie which is clip on so safe and a jumper , her PE kit has to be logoed rest I get from M & S school range but could also source from a supermarket to save money. Shoes have to be all black and not trainers she wears black Chelsea boots. My eldest daughter went to the same school but when she was there the only logoed item was a school sweatshirt rest was stuff I could get from supermarket and unbranded black shoes her uniform was a heck of a lot cheaper.
That said now she's all kitted out and as long as anything needed from trutex I order well in advance I prefer to see the kids in the uniform , smart and all the same so nobody looks different in how they dress and some children don't stand out because we are all different and all have different financial obligations so nobody is judged for how they dress for school... years ago when I was my daughter's age we had to go to the education welfare department to get clothing for school as we didn't have the proverbial pit to piddle in, I'm glad my daughter doesn't have to do the same 😥
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Dd just started secondary school and I think I’ve spent around £400 on uniform this year. Most is school branded and only available from the school shop.

I went to the same school and my mum thinks that the cost of uniform hasn’t actually gone up that much from when I was there.

Dds primary is one of very few in the area that still has them wear shirts and ties, most seem to have school branded polos and jumpers.

Much as the uniform is expensive I do like traditional uniforms and I think that generally the children are proud to wear them.

I saw a girl going into college earlier this week wearing a corset, black net tutu and stockings and suspenders 😳
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sukey
Excited about Disney

Last year my son’s primary school scrapped school uniform for the year because of Covid. The idea being that they wanted the children in clean clothes everyday and people generally have more of their own clothes than uniform. In my case where my 8 year old is the youngest I had more school polo shirts and sweatshirts than normal clothes. He outgrew all the clothes 3 times over the year, so it was very expensive. Every morning was a battle as he wanted to wear his favourite pair of shorts that he had worn the day before and now couldn’t.
This year they are back in uniform and it’s so much better. He just puts it on every morning, no complaints.
My daughter finished Yr11 in the same school skirts and polo shirts she had started with in year 7. Although the initial outlay was expensive, we certainly got good value from them.
Sukey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

My daughter now in 6th form dosnt have a uniform, they can wear what they want within reason. The rest of the school has a very strict uniform policy which personally i agree with*

weirdly imo our neighbours on both sides go to a catholic school & even in 6th form they have to wear full uniform... 18 year olds in school uniforms...

* my school didnt have a uniform & in the early 80s the kids who were not in the latest casual gear/trainers etc etc etc got dogs abuse ...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List