Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 22 Sep 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

Chutney

Having grown Tomatillo and cucamelon's for the first time this year ( I was given some seedlings) I wasn't quite sure how to use them.

After picking the above, also the last of the tomatoes, some apples and chillies I decided to make some chutney.

It seems to be OK but only time will tell!

Has anyone else grown either and have any recipes?

I didn't want to make salsa with the tomatillos.
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Not chutney but I did make a lovely plum jam, my MIL bought us a plum tree a few years ago and we have been overrun with plums this year! We have a fig tree too and I’m hoping to make either fig Jam or chutney next year.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

My whole house was stinking this week as I’ve been making chutney ,pickled onions beetroot and picalli etc
Nothing comes close to the cold cuts of turkey and ham on Boxing Day with home made chutney pickles and sourdough bread followed by cheese mince pies and Christmas cake
A mince pie or rich Christmas cake with cheese and pickles etc the food of the gods
But I love a good ploughman’s lunch any day of the year
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
My whole house was stinking this week as I’ve been making chutney ,pickled onions beetroot and picalli etc
Nothing comes close to the cold cuts of turkey and ham on Boxing Day with home made chutney pickles and sourdough bread followed by cheese mince pies and Christmas cake
A mince pie or rich Christmas cake with cheese and pickles etc the food of the gods
But I love a good ploughman’s lunch any day of the year
Sounds delicious. Can you share your chutney and pickles recipes? I love chutneys, but have never made my own. 😋
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I've got lovely recipes for a spicy pineapple chutney, not hot just lovely & fruity. I also do my sisters husbands grans Megs apple which is lovely. I make caramelised onion too. That one gets made in the garage on a camping stove as the house stinks for days but everyone eats it. Shout if you want them.
Old 30 Sep 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I've got lovely recipes for a spicy pineapple chutney, not hot just lovely & fruity. I also do my sisters husbands grans Megs apple which is lovely. I make caramelised onion too. That one gets made in the garage on a camping stove as the house stinks for days but everyone eats it. Shout if you want them.
Would love the recipe for caramelised onion when you get chance. Thanks so much. 😊

Do you use special jars or reuse jars?
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
Do you use special jars or reuse jars?
I make chilli jam occasionally and re-use old jars that I'm keeping for me. Hobbycraft do really reasonably priced jars and stickers so I buy those to use for the ones that I'm giving away.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I make chilli jam occasionally and re-use old jars that I'm keeping for me. Hobbycraft do really reasonably priced jars and stickers so I buy those to use for the ones that I'm giving away.

Thanks Beth - I knew those honey jars would come in handy one day. 😊
Old 30 Sep 21, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Bella I’ve just seen this
I’ll post tomorrow
I reuse jars just make sure they are sparkling clean I usually run them through the dishwasher as I’m making the chutney
It’s a very old basic green or red tomatoes cooking apples onions raisins or any dried fruit sugar and vinegar
Kirstie Allsopp Boxing Day chutney is another favorite in here as is my friends mother in laws mango chutney she was born in India she’s an amazing cook at nearly 90
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’ve found it and converted to grams
I usually at least double the recipe just adjust the cooking time I’ve been making it for 40 years so I just know when it’s done
750 g green tomatoes
350g shallots or onions
200 g peeled cooking apples
300 mls malt vinegar
2 red chillies
A couple of mustard seeds crushed if you have them
About an inch of fresh root ginger ( I peel ginger with a teaspoon as my mother did works a treat )
100 grams of any dried fruit or rasins sultanas apricots etc we prefer sultanas or apricots
A scant teaspoon of salt ( we use very little salt in everything)
200g brown sugar
In a heavy saucepan I use a ancient preserving pan
The tomatoes onions apples and half the vinegar
Bring to the boil add the dried fruit
In a muslin bag ( I use not uses of course muslin nappy liners cut up ) the chillies ginger and mustard tie it up and bash it with a rolling pin drop into the pan
Simme for around 30 mins
Simmer till it thickens around an hour stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick
Then add the salt the vinegar and sugar stir till the sugar dissolves and the chutney thickens
Take out the spice bag
Put the chutney in to warm jars then seal with air tight lid leave at least 6 weeks before using
Goes great with cheese cold meat or in here apple pie with a cheese pastry crust or with Stilton and Christmas cake will last up to a year if unopened
I store mine in the fridge when I open a jar but unopened just in a cool place
Made boozy mince meat tonight and the Christmas cake and pudding
I don’t faff about peeling the tomatoes deseeding etc I just peel core and quarter the apples
My sister has just done spiced pears they are amazing with poultry

Edited at 12:05 AM.