Old 18 Aug 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 4 Aviemore to Wick

I set the alarm for 7am, but when it goes off I snooze a couple of times, then start the process of showering and getting dressed whilst trying to make coffee and breakfast, pack and sort Max out all at once. I wash the dishes, then load the car, and off we go. Our first stop today is Dochgarroch lock, as we are going on a Loch Ness cruise.

We make cracking time which is good as it did take me a little longer than expected to get everything in the car. We pass road signs highlighting a yellow weather warning for heavy rain (hello Britain) so I pack both our rain coats just in case.

The boat is ready for us, so we wander on and sit outside at the back so I don’t have to wear a mask for 2 hours.

We set off, chugging slowly down the canal, past the smallest lighthouse in Britain, and then when we enter Loch Ness we really pick up speed, charging right down the centre.

No rain yet, in actual fact it’s very sunny so I keep swapping seats to try and get shade for us both, as stupid Mummy remembered his water bottle, but not his bowl to drink from.

Yesterday when I went to the brewery, I completely forgot to pick up a beer or two for my best friends birthday, so when I see the Loch Ness lagers on the bar onboard, I buy 2. £9.20 which serves me right for not being smarter yesterday as they are double the cost.

We pootle past Urquhart castle which I have visited myself back in the day, and I get some photos as they turn the boat round for us all to see.

A lady is on board who is a single Mum with 2 kids (at least one special needs) and 3 chocolate Labradors. She managed to remember a water bowl though (what a human being) and she sends her little girl over to offer Max water. I feel like my dog is quite rightly judging my parenting skills at this point as he pointedly drinks up like he’s not been offered water in days 😂

We start to head back up the canal, and I must say I’ve really enjoyed it. Well worth it.

Get back to the car and the first stop is filling the car up with Diesel. 119.8 is the best I can do. This comes to £45.47 but I buy a meal deal for £4.95 too as I’m getting hungry. Quick wee stop then I’m on the road,this is my first actual section of the NC500.

First stop is Dornoch Beach. I park up for free and give Max a real treat, a swim in the sea. I’m a bit nervous as it’s busier than expected but he’s completely excellent and charges around like a loon, but comes back to me with no issue at all.

Much towelling and cold drinks for both of us, then back in the car.

I’m looking for the stone remembering the last witch execution in 1727, it’s now in someone’s garden, but I find it.

On the road again we go, this time just to the outside of Dunrobin castle. I would definitely have paid to enter here and see the falconry display, but it’s not dog friendly. So I just take a photo and have a nosy, then it’s north again.

This time it’s a quick stop at Cairn Liath. This is fabulous, we have to cross the A9 on foot which is a little hairy, but so worth it. I can let Max off and we both have a good nosy around.

My last stop is a museum called the Timespan museum which I have read you can take dogs into. Unfortunately it’s closed though, so we decide just to push onto Wick where we are staying tonight. The roads get incredibly hilly, and I see my first Highland coo... you just wouldn’t imagine here you are anywhere near a big town, but then all of a sudden, a lidl, a retail park, and a town, with a spoons 😂

Find the hotel and check in, super friendly again. And I have a massive room on the ground floor near an exit to the car park, so incredibly thoughtful. The bed is huge too.

I decide to go for a walk through town, I snap a photo of the world’s shortest street

And then I hunt down the Wetherspoons.
I sit outside with Max and order a pint of strongbow on the app. Absolutely ideal because I don’t even need to go inside to order and therefore leave him.
I then realise I can order bar snacks from the app too, I even get 50% off my peanuts. If I’m honest, if i had known i could eat outside, and that it would be dry I would have eaten here tonight, but it is undoubtedly better to give the money to the independents after all. I stay here rather longer than expected, mostly because I realise my watch has not quite stopped but gone very slow. I spend under a tenner here including buying a bag of crisps for the car tomorrow.
Back to the room and I shower and get changed, feed Max then wander to the hotel dining room. I’m eating in the residents lounge so I can keep Max with me. To be honest with you, I think he’d prefer to be in the room in bed, but the hotel is packed with people coming past, and I’m worried he’ll bark if he gets startled so I keep him with me and he goes to sleep on the carpet. Then starts flirting with the Scottish ladies visiting.

I order a wine, mozzarella sticks and chicken jalfrezi which are quite nice.

This costs £20.50. I ring DH, write my notes, then head to bed.
It’s been a busy day, but a really good one..

Mikes travelled in a car - 149
Amount spent -£91.48 but I have plenty of budget left from prior days to chip into the petrol

Edited at 10:22 PM.
mitch84 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Thank you again for writing this. Looking forward to the rest x
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

How bizarre is it to see Wick appear in the distance after miles of nothingness... Its like a mirage

Great boat trip, love the pic of Max looking for Nessie

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

A good day on the road with some interesting stops. It’s a shame Dunrobin isn’t dog friendly so that you could have had a wander around inside. Looks like you both enjoyed the boat trip down Loch Ness 😁

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by christybell View Post
How bizarre is it to see Wick appear in the distance after miles of nothingness... Its like a mirage

Great boat trip, love the pic of Max looking for Nessie
I know, field, cows, sheep, empty field, oh a lidl superstore 😂
Old 18 Aug 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
A good day on the road with some interesting stops. It’s a shame Dunrobin isn’t dog friendly so that you could have had a wander around inside. Looks like you both enjoyed the boat trip down Loch Ness 😁
Oh I knew it wasn’t, but I still fancied a nosy, you can’t do everything and we were on the go from 8-5 so we had plenty on really 😂
I really enjoyed the boat trip x
Old 19 Aug 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
arl71
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Great pic of world's shortest street. My parents had their wedding reception in Mackays Hotel back in 1962
arl71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

That boat trip looks great. Glad to see that you are having a lovely time. Thank you for posting
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by arl71 View Post
Great pic of world's shortest street. My parents had their wedding reception in Mackays Hotel back in 1962
Ahh that’s nice, I wanted to stay there, but it was fully booked. Looked lovely though x
Old 19 Aug 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Thank you, great read.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List