Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Nov 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

October half term trip highs and lows

This was our first Disney holiday as a couple without the kids. When I say kids my sons are 20 and 22! We weren’t sure how it would feel without the kids with us, would we enjoy it as much?The answer was YES! It was fabulous. We were there for just a week over October half term, travelled with virgin atlantic and stayed at the Rosen Plaza hotel. We did just disney parks and a bit of shopping. We really made the most of our time there, would definitely go again for just a week.

Highs
Being a party of 2! We got called to the front of the line a number of times.
Flights in the bubble with Virgin were good, we got the Millenium Falcon wrapped jumbo on the way out, DH was so pleased. Car with Andy from DFCH. Really easy to book and deal with through Alamo. We got an excellent price on a convertible for the week, another perk of a party of 2. We wanted a mustang but they weren’t as new or as nice as the Chevrolet Camaro we picked. Bright red and only 897 miles on the clock. Arriving at Magic Kingdom with the top down was great fun. Rosen Plaza was great. First time staying in a hotel, have always done villas with the kids. Room was a good size, very clean. Hotel is lovely and was very quiet, lovely view from the 13th floor. Would definitely stay there again.
Star Wars land, we visited first at night. It really is very impressive at night time, we really did feel like we were on a different planet. Enjoyed the smugglers run ride, we got pilots! Shortish queue and were on and off the ride in 40 mins. As we were off site we didn’t manage to get fast passes for FOP or Slinky Dog. Using touring plans app and monitoring wait times we managed to get on both. FOP on and off in an hour and Slinky with only a 50 min wait time as well. FOP is still my favourite ride. Had some great meals off site. Tried Bahama Breeze for the first time, delicious meal. Another great meal was at Town Tavern in Celebration which we booked on Halloween night. Walking round Celebration on Halloween was great, the houses are amazing. Should have done my homework though to find out how far Jeater Bend Drive was from the main centre of Celebration. My feet hurt that night lol.

In the middles
Don’t like the new layout of World of Disney, feels too open and I got lost lol. Lots of merchandise seems to have gone up in price and more high end stuff. No aerial toppers on sale any more, we asked! No watches other than the expensive ones.
We upgraded one of our tickets to an Annual Pass. You definitely need to do your homework on price. We went to Disney Springs and were given an upgrade price we were happy with and paid. However the next day on MDE as my ticket hadn’t been upgraded there was a price to upgrade my ticket which was over $100 less than we paid. I have to say Disney were very good about this when we went and queried it at Magic Kingdom. They said there was some confusion over the exchange rate and price of our original ticket, the MDE upgrade price didn’t include tax. Eventually they offered us $89 refund on a gift card which we were happy with, so not really in the “lows”.

Lows
Hardly anything really, we had a great time. However, the queues at Vineland Disney character warehouse. There was a queue to join the queue! Such a shame this has become like this. We did go to the one at International drive as well which had no queue.

Future plans
Have booked a bargain BA flydrive for February half term. Off again as a party of 2! Could get used to this
Old 7 Nov 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thanks for posting 🙂

I'm interested in your convertible. We've never hired one as we can't travel light 😊. How did you get on with your luggage? We (DH and me) are planning a 3 week west coast road trip next year and would have two big suitcases. Can you put the top down when there is luggage? We used to have a Volvo hard top and the boot was useless with the top down.
Old 7 Nov 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Thanks for posting 🙂

I'm interested in your convertible. We've never hired one as we can't travel light 😊. How did you get on with your luggage? We (DH and me) are planning a 3 week west coast road trip next year and would have two big suitcases. Can you put the top down when there is luggage? We used to have a Volvo hard top and the boot was useless with the top down.
Hi
It wasn’t good for luggage. Definitely a car that’s more about looks than practicality. From the airport we managed to get one Tripp medium suitcase in the boot, but all hand luggage and our large case had to go on the back seat. When you put the top down it basically folds up into half of the boot space leaving only enough space for a rucksack or a couple of bags of shopping. On the way back to the airport as the cases were much heavier we had to put the top down to be able to lift them onto the back seat them put the top back up. We loved having it as a one off but think we’ll have a boring suv for the practicality next time
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
joolsleeds
Apprentice Imagineer

joolsleeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our first trip without the kids was very similar, lots of new ways to see all the familiar sights with a new perspective!

We also took the opportunity to stay onsite, and either used the Disney transportation or Uber. Both worked really well and saved us the time plus of course, the parking fees!
joolsleeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by joolsleeds View Post
Our first trip without the kids was very similar, lots of new ways to see all the familiar sights with a new perspective!

We also took the opportunity to stay onsite, and either used the Disney transportation or Uber. Both worked really well and saved us the time plus of course, the parking fees!
It was. Disney is definitely not just for kids lol
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So lovely to read your post ... we have our first trip as a 2 in February! Boys are similar ages 19 and 21!, and are not coming with us.

Looking forward to being a bit selfish and just thinking about us!
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
So lovely to read your post ... we have our first trip as a 2 in February! Boys are similar ages 19 and 21!, and are not coming with us.

Looking forward to being a bit selfish and just thinking about us!
You will love it.
Party of 2