Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great Lakes Grooving: Day 14 Traverse City & Manistee

Saturday 20 July

We had decided against breakfast on the Island - partly because everywhere was so busy and expensive and partly because we wanted to get an earlyish boat back to the mainland.

We checked out and walked to the Ferry and didn't have a very long wait for the next one. The boat was quite empty so we bagged a seat on the upper deck. The Island looked lovely as we sailed away.

The Grand Hotel in the background.

Once we were out of the harbour, we picked up speed and from then on, it was rather like being on a log flume as the boat bounced over the waves and there was regular spray coming over the deck. We ended up huddled in the middle seats trying to keep dry!

As we got off the boat, the staff were moving trolleys full of luggage. One trolley clearly hadn't been wrapped very well as a case fell off it and into the water! They were fishing it out with a pole as we left and I imagine the owner was going to be very displeased.

There weren't actually many options for breakfast in Mackinaw City and the queue for Starbucks was huge. We did find the Mackinaw Bakery and got coffee and croissants and cinnamon rolls to share, which were lovely. Then it was time to get on the road again, this time heading for Traverse City.

Traverse City was a little bit of a detour but we wanted to stop there for lunch and had heard from one of Clive's friends that it was a really nice place. We had originally discounted staying there as we felt that we had done too many cities last year, so didn't book an overnight stay.

On the way into Traverse City, we stopped at Culver's for lunch. They are a fast food chain that do Butter Burgers and are famous for their frozen custard. The food was really good, with the burgers being very tasty, and we enjoyed the custard as well.

We headed into the City to stop and have a quick look around. On the drive, we had been listening to the radio and were slightly alarmed when the music suddenly stopped, to be replaced by the sound of sirens and then a disembodied voice announcing a severe weather warning and storms coming in. It was like being in a disaster movie and we were hoping that the movie wasn't War of the Worlds!

Then the music came back on and it was as though nothing had happened. We got several of these and they were really quite unsettling.

Downtown Traverse City was really quite charming and we had a pang of regret that we hadn't found time for a stop there. It had a real hipster vibe and was very charming and friendly. We particularly liked that they had designated public toilets in various shops and cafes and that there were maps in the windows directing you to them. We pottered about in a few shops but then noticed how dark the sky was getting and, mindful of the storm warnings, thought we should get moving.

Well, the storm certainly happened! The rain was torrential and it got to the point that we couldn't drive in it any more as the road was flooded and the windscreen wipers couldn't keep up. We pulled over into a car park and just waited until it eased off and it was safe to drive again.

It was a long drive from here to our destination in Manistee and although the rain was never as heavy as it had been, we were still getting weather warnings and rain.

We eventually arrived at the Microtel in Manistee where we were staying for 2 nights. It was very strange to be in a big hotel again after our cabin experiences. We got into our room and got sorted out and then drove to the main street to have a look around. It was still quite wet and nowhere looks great in the rain but it was okay. We considered coming back to a Taco place for tea but when we looked at the reviews online, decided against it.

Instead, we headed to La Riviera, a Mexican place that had excellent reviews. I had hoped that it would be walkable but although it wasn't that far, there was no sidewalk and it would have been a very unpleasant walk, so we drove instead. The food here was delicious and we really enjoyed our meal. Our server was lovely as well and it was a great choice of eating place.

Back at the hotel, we watched the trailer for the new Cats film, which inspired Hannah.

Then we settled down to catch up with Shark Fest on Discovery because Sharks!

We did get woken up at 11.00pm with a car parked outside our window with music blaring out. We called Reception and it was sorted out but it had been annoying. However, we weren't disturbed again so that was fine.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Not sure I would have been happy if that was my case 😳

That was some rain! I hate driving when it is like that!

It seems a shame you didn’t have more time in Traverse City off to google where exactly it is

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Frozen custard sounds strange - was it nice? The rain sounded rubbish to drive in - and it can be a bit worrying when it comes down that heavy. Love Hannah’s pose!
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We’ve heard the disembodied radio warning before and had the same reaction as you! Fortunately, ours was just a test so no bad weather followed.
Old 5 Oct 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Not sure I would have been happy if that was my case 😳

That was some rain! I hate driving when it is like that!

It seems a shame you didn’t have more time in Traverse City off to google where exactly it is
We didn't hang around for the case owner to find out but I expect there would have been some choice words!

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Frozen custard sounds strange - was it nice? The rain sounded rubbish to drive in - and it can be a bit worrying when it comes down that heavy. Love Hannah’s pose!
Frozen custard is more like very creamy ice cream than actual custard, which surprised us but it was nice. Hannah is the ultimate poser!

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
We’ve heard the disembodied radio warning before and had the same reaction as you! Fortunately, ours was just a test so no bad weather followed.
It was quite freaky! Glad you didn't have the storms go with it.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh my goodness to that rain. And the scary warnings. Keep calm and carry on and all that !

Hannah is outrageously supple. She is amazing!

What’s a butter burger got in it ?

The Grand hotel does look very grand indeed. Do hope that wet suitcase owner wasn’t a guest there.. can’t imagine they would be very happy at all .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List