Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 6 Nov 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Cdd
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Discount Disney gift cards

Hi,

I wanted to ask others about their experiences in purchasing Disney gift cards at a discount. Members’ clubs in the US such as BJ’s and Sam’s Club routinely sell gift cards at around 5% off, which is a significant savings given how much Disney costs! Additionally, US citizens can use Cashback credit cards at eligible stores with bonus categories to save further.

The issue is that none of these methods are that welcoming to UK residents. They either require a US shipping address, or a US billing address.

I just wondered if others had strategies for buying discount Disney US gift cards (from a U.K. perspective) that they’d share.

Thanks!
Cdd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jen1
Excited about Disney

Hi, we purchased Disney gift cards from Sams club in September to use towards our annual pass renewals. We got 2 $500 gift cards and used them without a problem - we will definitely purchase more in the future.
Jen1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Cdd

Mobile

Hi Jen,

That’s really interesting! I wasn’t able to purchase $500 eGift cards from Sam’s Club because they require a US billing address for the card used for payment. Did you visit a physical store - or some other method?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you paid to be members of Sam's club? whenever I try to see the prices of disney cards it says you have to be a member to see the prices so I can never work out if it would be worth my while to join. Is it cheeky to ask how much the cards are so I can work out if the saving would be worth the joining fee?
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cdd View Post
Hi Jen,

That’s really interesting! I wasn’t able to purchase $500 eGift cards from Sam’s Club because they require a US billing address for the card used for payment. Did you visit a physical store - or some other method?

Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris, I've bought Disney eGift cards online from Target (sadly not discounted as can't get their discounter Red Card without a US address)
I had US dollars in my PayPal account and everything went through quickly and smoothly.
Please bear in mind that if your PayPal balance is in sterling you'll get charged a fee for conversion.
I had a plastic Disney gift card with no balance on it and wanted to transfer several e-cards to the physical card.
Here's what I did once the eCards arrived in my inbox:

Go to disneygiftcard/ and register.
Go to manage my cards
Add the empty or low balance card details - number and EAN
Then add the new e-card details
Then transfer e-card balance to the physical card.
You can top up to a total of $1000
Your new balance will show immediately on the plastic card and e-card will be empty.

If you have a couple of cards registered on the site and you lose or misplace the card you have in your wallet you can then transfer the balance onto the other card.
Hope this is helpful
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 04:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Cdd

Mobile

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! @SnowWhite, you can also buy Disney e-gift cards via the ShopDisney web site. They’re very convenient (especially for use at F&W), but not discounted.

The furthest I’ve got is in determining that, if you can be bothered to physically drive to a Sam’s Club and pay $49 membership fees, you can buy the physical cards there using a U.K. based payment card. The discount is around 4%, whether online or in store. $49/0.04 = $1225, IE the break even point for a Sam’s Club membership buying Disney gift cards.

The issue is that spending valuable holiday time driving to Sam’s Club and messing around with gift cards soon erodes the discount down to almost nothing.

The other options are BJ’s (accepts U.K. payment methods, but only ships to US addresses), and Raise (only accepts US payment methods, and offers reduced discounts anyway). I spent a while looking for a US-issued prepaid credit card sign up to Sam’s Club, but they all require a Social Security Number.

So unless anyone else has been down this rabbit hole and found a method (hence this thread!), I guess I’ll put my dreams of Disney discounts behind me.
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Not a solution exactly to your problem but target are offering a 5% discount on their own giftcards up to $500 at the moment. As we always end up in target at least once I was going to try buying one of these for $100. They are delivered by email and then when in store I will try and use some/all of it to buy a disney card. Seems like work but I am curious to see if this is an option and like I said we will spend at least $100 in store over a few trips so there is nothing to be lost.

Very interesting thread, thanks everyone for the info.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Not a solution exactly to your problem but target are offering a 5% discount on their own giftcards up to $500 at the moment. As we always end up in target at least once I was going to try buying one of these for $100. They are delivered by email and then when in store I will try and use some/all of it to buy a disney card. Seems like work but I am curious to see if this is an option and like I said we will spend at least $100 in store over a few trips so there is nothing to be lost.

Very interesting thread, thanks everyone for the info.
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on @Merryweather17 and would appreciate if you could post an update if you do manage to do this. Thanks in advance
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cdd

Mobile

I believe the “using a gift card to buy a gift card” loophole at Target was closed a while back. See the section on Target on the disneytouristblog website:

Note that you can no longer use Target gift cards as a form of payment when purchasing gift cards. This is unfortunate, as we used to recommend using Raise.com to purchase discounted Target gift cards (usually ~4-5% off), then loading those gift cards into your Target.com account, and using them to buy Disney gift cards for 5% off. This resulted in a total savings of around 10% on Disney gift cards, but it no longer works.
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jen1
Excited about Disney

Hi , yes I went into a Sams club when we went in September. I got the Sams club membership when it was on offer on Groupon for $25 for the year.
The $500 gift card is $484.94 I think it was better savings if you purchased the 3 pack of $50 ($150) for $144.98.. Which is what we will probably do next time we go for restaurants and dd annual pass.

Edited at 06:08 PM.
Jen1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List