Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Jul 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

No need to apologise. Whether someone leaves the auto grats in place, removes them, tips on a individual basis or whatever, is a personal choice and nothing to do with anyone else. Do what you think is right.
Interestingly, MSC has recently announced that it will not charge gratuities for new bookings for passengers from U.K. and Ireland. We sailed with P&O two weeks ago tip free. It seems to be a growing trend in Europe but unlikely to catch on with US based cruise lines.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You’re getting upset but I don’t think anyone is criticising. They are just pointing out that if you don’t tip the head waiter. The waiter will have to give him part of his tip anyway.

You can tip them whatever you are comfortable with.

Take a look here for a suggested breakdown

cruisetip.tpkeller/

Unfortunately over 2 weeks all the suggestions will add up.
Thanks for that. I think I may be getting the Head Waiter and Maitre d confused. I know people on here don't usually criticize. I'm just getting stressed a bit.

The link you gave to the cruise tipping is really good. Is it up to date?
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
I completely agree ,I wish they would include it in the fare and pay the staff a reasonable wage .
I completely agree with you and Omega. If it was included in the fare, it would be much easier. I know some cruise lines have started doing this.
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think it’s a bit out of date. For carnival it totals £10/per person per day rather than £14 but it gives you an idea of how it should break down.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

i think P&O no longer levy onboard gratuities - now included in price, but is a British cruise line.
Personally I wish service charges were always included in the upfront cost but that would require a major culture shift in the US.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
You are correct, everyone has their own ideas. Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks just make your own decision. I will be perfectly honest I thought the suggested tip amount on Royal Caribbean was outrageous. We were 2 adults 2 teens in one cabin. I didn’t think the service was anything special except in the speciality restaurants. I paid 2 lots of tips at the end of the cruise, paid tips separately for the waiters in the specialty restaurants and the cabin steward. We had a drinks package so bar tips were included, I just gave a dollar per drink if the waiter brought the drink to the table or pool lounger.

Do what you think best.
Thanks for your advise. We have only really done a couple of cruises, and the one with Royal Caribbean was not very good. The only good service we had was from our waiter and cabin steward.

DW had badly scalded herself all over her groin with Boiling coffe about a month before we sailed. We thought we might have to cancel, but the doctor said it was okay, but we had to change her bandages twice a day. The cabin steward had no problem with clearing the old bandages away every day. It wasn't his job, but he did it anyway.

I also split my head open on a bar in the wardrobe which need 13 stitches. The state of the bedroom was like a scene from "Psycho" Again, the steward did'nt hesitate to clean everything.

Apart from these two crew, we did'nt get much help or assistance from anyone else.

I hope we have more fin on the Carnival Conquest.
James
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think it’s a bit out of date. For carnival it totals £10/per person per day rather than £14 but it gives you an idea of how it should break down.
Thanks Bevs. I'll work it out from there.
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
i think P&O no longer levy onboard gratuities - now included in price, but is a British cruise line.
Personally I wish service charges were always included in the upfront cost but that would require a major culture shift in the US.
I agree. The USA is much more geared to Tipping than we are in the UK. You're probably right, I can't see them changing anytime soon.
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andrea1 View Post
Thanks for your advise. We have only really done a couple of cruises, and the one with Royal Caribbean was not very good. The only good service we had was from our waiter and cabin steward.

DW had badly scalded herself all over her groin with Boiling coffe about a month before we sailed. We thought we might have to cancel, but the doctor said it was okay, but we had to change her bandages twice a day. The cabin steward had no problem with clearing the old bandages away every day. It wasn't his job, but he did it anyway.

I also split my head open on a bar in the wardrobe which need 13 stitches. The state of the bedroom was like a scene from "Psycho" Again, the steward did'nt hesitate to clean everything.

Apart from these two crew, we did'nt get much help or assistance from anyone else.

I hope we have more fin on the Carnival Conquest.
James
You must do what you think works for you. All I will say is, we have sailed with Carnival many many times, most recently doing a back to back last Christmas, and the staff are amazing. So helpful and cheerful on all of the cruises except maybe one where the waiter was ok but just did his job and didnt interact with us so much. I honestly cant praise the Carnival employees enough. Hope you have the same experience. Cant help with your tipping question as we pre paid the gratuities and tipped the waiters, and steward an additional amount at the end of each cruise as we felt they so deserved it.

Edited at 08:12 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
You must do what you think works for you. All I will say is, we have sailed with Carnival many many times, most recently doing a back to back last Christmas, and the staff are amazing. So helpful and cheerful on all of the cruises except maybe one where the waiter was ok but just did his job and didnt interact with us so much. I honestly cant praise the Carnival employees enough. Hope you have the same experience. Cant help with your tipping question as we pre paid the gratuities and tipped the waiters, and steward an additional amount at the end of each cruise as we felt they so deserved it.
Thanks JoS, we really are looking forward to both of the cruises.
James