Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 5 Jul 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Help- first time P&O cruise 2 weeks

So we've done something a bit rash for a compulsive planner and today booked a P&O cruise to the fjords in 2 weeks they me. Never cruised before. We're family with dd age 14 and son age 9.

So far I've understood that I'm on freedom dining and my cruise planner online opens tomorrow morning.

Trying to find stuff for us all to wear in the evenings and work out what we should book. I think we'll probably book one night at each of the bootable restaurants (think there's three)!

I've read bevs blog which has been so helpful.

Please any suggestions and tips I'd be so grateful.

Thank you x
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Nothing wrong with booking a cruise at short notice!😂😂
Lots of Dibbers have been with P&O to the fjords - we got back 2 weeks ago. What ship are you on and what’s the itinerary?
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’re on the Britannia for the 7 day Fjords cruise from Southampton.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

You will love it. We did a Fjords cruise last summer.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
We are off on the Ventura tomorrow for the Fjords. I have not booked any trips with pando for a number of reasons.

Firstly they are silly prices compared to what you can get in port. Secondly we will have no idea about the weather until each day arrives. There is no point in paying a lot of money for the flaam railway if the clouds are low and no views to be seen

Personally I would wait to book any of the extra prices restuarants. There will be offers on board for them that you can't get now. In particular the first night. They will be trying to sell the restaurants as soon as you get on board at reduced prices. They will also during the week if they are quiet be trying to sell them at breakfast. The only difficult night would be last night.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

My friend at work is on that cruise too. 😁. We've not been with p and o, but my friend whose going said theyve never booked the specialty restaurants because the food is the best they've had, and she cruises regularly with different lines.
disney_l81 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

You will have no trouble booking speciality restaurants on board so I’d wait and see. Dress wise, you will have 4 formal nights (black tie) but not everyone dresses up. If you want to keep it casual you just dine at the buffet those nights. Other nights I dress as though I were going out for a nice meal here
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
You will have no trouble booking speciality restaurants on board so I’d wait and see. Dress wise, you will have 4 formal nights (black tie) but not everyone dresses up. If you want to keep it casual you just dine at the buffet those nights. Other nights I dress as though I were going out for a nice meal here
I agree with above. Book the speciality meals on board. You never know how you will feel when there. I got sindu with a third off if I went in the first half hour of opening on the first night. This was offered when we walked on board.

With regards to the dress there will be two formal nights if you are on a 7night cruise. These are usually on sea days. It is black tie. I wear a dress on that night even though I hate dresses. I have seen someone asked to leave a bar as they weren’t dressed as per dress code. The other nights though is just dress like your going to dinner (I wore nice top,leggings and heels so wasn’t actually too dressed up) on the black tie nights you can go to the buffets if your dressed down.
The sit down meals are best though. Especially as you have freedom dinning. That’s what we had last time and it worked out perfectly. The cruise we have next year we have been given 6.30 sitting which I’m not happy about and have asked to change. Unfortunately I have a long standing complaint with p&o but to do with customer service prior to going. The cruise itself is good.

You can also go on cruise critic. There are lots of questions on there. Will warn you there are some on that board that are a bit stuck up and can be rude to each other. Don’t like it as much as the dibb but good for info.

Most of the excursions you can do yourself. I was supposed to be going on this fjord cruise in April this year but forfeited it for a new house. You never know what the weather will be like.

I did do a trip report of our last cruise but it was a bit long winded and boring I was told. We also had ports we weren’t interested in so it’s more to do with on board. I liked doing it though as I forget so good to go back on.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Oops - Vampiress88 is right, it will be 2 formal nights (sorry I read it as a 14 night cruise, rather than you go in 14 days )
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List