Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jul 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Thank you , it’s hard not to though, still crying today !
I could handle the early mornings and late nights but the not being able to get anything done and then the neighbours just really got to me .
I only left the house once
for just 15 minutes in the past 7 days and I could hear him down the street when I came back
Oh bless. We take shifts so the puppy is never alone and have a playpen in the lounge for her to sleep in so she’s close to us. She’d been playing with her mum for a while about an hour ago and then suddenly launched herself at me so she’s gone for a nap in her pen 🙄 dogs are very tying. I think they’re worse than babies as you can’t put them in a pram and take them with you. I’ve just resigned myself to being stuck in the house with her for months or having to work round each other or find a puppy sitter if we all want to go out. It’s a shock because I don’t think anyone really explains that properly when you get a new puppy. I see someone said you’re staying at POFQ soon, is that right? I’m booked to go there next August and can’t wait! Hope you have a wonderful holiday and it recharges your batteries. Take care of yourself and have fun 😊

Edited at 12:11 PM.
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Have a read of some different breeds and see what would suit you they are all very different.

I do think in some ways they are more hard work than babies because like you said you can’t just shove them in a pram and take them with you. In the end with Woody we did pretty much that. He was put in a backpack and ‘walked’ to give him some mental stimulation, different smells and noises. I carried him in my arms round the garden centre, into the garage, we chucked him in the car every day just for something different. But being able to walk him was where it started to change for us, and then especially when he was allowed onto grass and off the lead.

I know we couldn’t cope with a full collie or a spaniel (especially a springier! ) they’re just too much for us (I love them! But I also need sometimes to be able to just sit down and I’ve got two friends with springers and they are just constant. Sadly one of them has given their dog to her husbands dad and step mum to look after now because it’s too much with a toddler and a baby on the way). When you feel ready, do a bit more research, now you’ve had one, think about the logistics and what fits best with your family dynamic. Everyone is different.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Thank you , I was prepared for it to be really hard but the separation thing was another level !
I really feel ready for a dog and and so does the family so we may consider an older one like 6 months or something and a different breed! But this has shocked me so maybe we never will .
My oldest isn’t even talking to me .. would understand but he’s hardly around as at uni !
It was down to me all day every day until my dh came home
Such a difficult decision but sounds like the right one for you... Please be kind to yourself as it sounds like you have done the best for Wilson. Like others have said I would go for an older dog if I had another. I love our puppy to bits but it is very hard work and he still hates being left alone. My parents rehomed our puppy when we were young. I never found out why but understood their decision much more when we got our puppy last year. Take care and enjoy your holiday - you deserve it!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Thought I’d just update a bit but we are currently in talks with a lady who is rehoming a 13 month old Boston terrier and he seems to tick all the right boxes for us so far .
Will go and see him when we are back so maybe things are looking up although I still
miss Wilson and still get teary but if we can give this boy a nice home and all the attention he needs then I will do my very best .
I won’t let another dog down so if I have any doubts then I won’t go any further.
Edited to add that I am truly appreciative of all the help and advice you’ve all given me . Really helped me through a tough time so thank you ☺️

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

[QUOTE=Nicksgirl;13964281]Sod the rules, sod what everyone thinks you must do... no sofa, no bed, strict rules on food...

LOVE your little one...… he is leaving his mum, he needs love, comfort and everything any baby needs.

Dogs are wonderful, the only sad part is they break your heart in the end.

Enjoy every moment of your little one... xxxx[/QUOTE

I love this ❣️
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Hello everyone, a quick update on Prince and looking for advice... last time I posted we were struggling at night as he wasn’t sleeping, after reading all your comments and looking at different articles I decided to take down the playpen as it wasn’t working and purchased a stair gate. We have a small porch area and downstairs loo next to the back door so I put the gate on there, a puppy pad on the floor in the loo and at nighttime make his bed in the porch area. He has room to move around, is comfortable and if he is desperate for the loo can use the puppy pad but it is not in his sleeping area.
I’m so pleased to say this has worked!😁 he go’s to bed at 10pm and I get up at 5.30-6am and take his straight out the back door, cuddles and fuss and he does his business outside. He has only used the puppy pad twice in the last 10 nights so I will get rid of them soon and he doesn’t cry at night at all now. It took 4 nights of some whimpering when I put him to bed for about 10-15 mins but now he just settles down and is asleep straight away 😊... I have had to stop everyone from going downstairs after he is in bed as it confuses him but we are both so much happier now.

Our new issues are... biting/nipping! I have tried ignoring it, saying ouch and pulling away/not interacting for 15 seconds and now saying “NO” sternly but nothing seems to be working, I know he is teething and he has lots of chew toys but he prefers to bite us 🙄 any advice?

Our other issue is very strange... he likes to go for walks but refuses to walk from our house and sits/lies and refuses to move, if I carry him away from our house to the next road away, or go in a different direction he is happy to walk back very fast towards home 🙄 it makes it very difficult to walk him. Yesterday I was out in the car with him no where near home and tried to take him for a walk and he did the same thing and wanted to get back to the car. He walks properly if my husband or son are with us but not with me alone or my daughter but still leaving the house is the problem. I would really appreciate any advice on this as I have read everything I can find but this doesn’t seem a common problem.
He likes going in the car, has been shopping with me in his doggy bag and is very sociable, nothing has happened on our walks to scare him so I really don’t know what has caused this, he also won’t go to the loo when out and will hold it until we get home to go in the garden 🙄😂.
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rockycat View Post
Hello everyone, a quick update on Prince and looking for advice... last time I posted we were struggling at night as he wasn’t sleeping, after reading all your comments and looking at different articles I decided to take down the playpen as it wasn’t working and purchased a stair gate. We have a small porch area and downstairs loo next to the back door so I put the gate on there, a puppy pad on the floor in the loo and at nighttime make his bed in the porch area. He has room to move around, is comfortable and if he is desperate for the loo can use the puppy pad but it is not in his sleeping area.
I’m so pleased to say this has worked!😁 he go’s to bed at 10pm and I get up at 5.30-6am and take his straight out the back door, cuddles and fuss and he does his business outside. He has only used the puppy pad twice in the last 10 nights so I will get rid of them soon and he doesn’t cry at night at all now. It took 4 nights of some whimpering when I put him to bed for about 10-15 mins but now he just settles down and is asleep straight away 😊... I have had to stop everyone from going downstairs after he is in bed as it confuses him but we are both so much happier now.

Our new issues are... biting/nipping! I have tried ignoring it, saying ouch and pulling away/not interacting for 15 seconds and now saying “NO” sternly but nothing seems to be working, I know he is teething and he has lots of chew toys but he prefers to bite us 🙄 any advice?

Our other issue is very strange... he likes to go for walks but refuses to walk from our house and sits/lies and refuses to move, if I carry him away from our house to the next road away, or go in a different direction he is happy to walk back very fast towards home 🙄 it makes it very difficult to walk him. Yesterday I was out in the car with him no where near home and tried to take him for a walk and he did the same thing and wanted to get back to the car. He walks properly if my husband or son are with us but not with me alone or my daughter but still leaving the house is the problem. I would really appreciate any advice on this as I have read everything I can find but this doesn’t seem a common problem.
He likes going in the car, has been shopping with me in his doggy bag and is very sociable, nothing has happened on our walks to scare him so I really don’t know what has caused this, he also won’t go to the loo when out and will hold it until we get home to go in the garden 🙄😂.
Nipping:
Stern no, Yelp LOUD(his mum would), ignore him, and if that doesn’t work - time out.
Honestly Mum considered getting rid of Woody because he was SO BAD with this. Even the trainer just said he’s not seen one quite this bad, but it definitely wasn’t nasty he just had a very high threshold to being told no and understanding he wasn’t allowed.
We also weren’t being firm enough.
We were advised to get a spray bottle and spray him in the face - he thought that was a game.
There’s something you can buy called Pet corrector - we used that, the noise would make him stop and eventually all you had to do was show him the can and he’d stop. Persevere it will get better but oh my god it was horrendous for a few weeks. (And yes, we tried everything, we had a private trainer that was Fantastic, we had puppy school and puppy training classes, he was just really resistant and thought EVERYTHING was a game)

I can’t help with the walking - that’s weird!

But it’s normal for them to hold it until they get home. They will learn eventually that they can go outside, but both ours held theirs when out walking to begin with.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Great, thanks for the advice, I think we are maybe being too soft with him, I will try the no and yelp and see how we get on and if it doesn’t work I will look into the other things, it’s the first dog I have had so everything is new to me, cats I find easy! 😁
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

With our little cavachon we tried the water spray which she thought was a really good game, and the corrector spray which shocked her for about 10 seconds then she ignored. A very loud, over dramatic squeal/yelp worked best...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

When our cocker was a pup and nipped we would stop , turn our back and walk away from him .