Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 7 Aug 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

First timer Nassau question

Hello there

We are going on our first Disney cruise in September and doing 3 night Bahamian cruise. My DH and I had our honeymoon near Nassau and thought it would be great to take our teenage girls to go and see Atlantis and maybe have a look around. However I’ve seen so many negative reports about people selling stuff and dodgy cabs I’m not sure whether it is worth getting off the ship? What do DIBBLED expert cruisers recommend?

If we do want to get to Atlantis what is the easiest way of getting there?

Many thanks in advance for your help xxxx
hollysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Don't DCL do a shore excursion to Atlantis for the passengers ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think they may do but it is so expensive we can’t afford it for 5 of us. I heard that people gets cabs or boats on their own? Maybe I misunderstood?
hollysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We are also going on a dcl cruise on 13th September. We have stayed on Bahamas a couple of times and used to get the local jitney buses if not driving, they are really cheap.
Atlantis is only a couple of miles from the ship so your best bet would be a taxi or water taxi. I think they only sell a limited number of day passes though so you may need to book in advance.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm on a cruise to Nassau and Royal Caribbean's island in 4 days.
My intention is to get off the ship and wander around Nassau for a couple of hours, before getting back on.
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are currently on a 4 night cruise with Royal Caribbean. We dock at Nassau tomorrow.
Our plan is to visit the Farmers market and some of the local tourist landmarks.
I’ll let you know how we get on. Not sure if we will visit Atlantis though.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Nassau itself isn’t the nicest place to visit. Lots of people trying to sell you basic tourist rubbish especially in the market.

The jitney buses are a great way to see the colourful non touristy parts of the Island. You used to be able to pick them up at Bay Street or would stop at the side of the road if you wanted to get on. Only a couple of $s and quite frequent.

Blue lagoon island used to have a lovely beach but haven’t been for a few years so not sure how touristy it is now.

Biggest bargains are in the large number of jewellery stores. If you like the unusual you can get some huge reductions as September is a really quiet time for tourists. Shops will drop the price considerably to achieve a sale.
This year we won’t be leaving the ship on Nassau day to avoid temptation.
We have a cabana on castaway cay instead. Nowhere near as exciting and very very overpriced but a must for us as have twin very fair skinned blonde toddlers with us. It does mean we can spend the whole day on the beach and Nassau day on the ship.
Does mean no sparkly stuff to take home though.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by hollysmum View Post
I think they may do but it is so expensive we can’t afford it for 5 of us. I heard that people gets cabs or boats on their own? Maybe I misunderstood?
You can do either ...

Taxis will be waiting outside Prince George Wharf, or you can enquire at the tour desks inside Festival Place (the 'straw market'). Agree a fare before you go anywhere and don't forget that approx 15% tip will/should be added (plus a bridge toll maybe). Journey is around 10 minutes with no traffic. Returning to the cruise port by taxi is also easy – you can hail one in front of any Atlantis entrance at any time of day.

Water taxis, private services offered by individual operators, run from the docks immediately behind Festival Place to Paradise Island every 30 minutes between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. One-way and return tickets are available; during the boat ride, you’ll get a short narrated tour, and the guide will expect a gratuity. From the dock on Paradise Island, it’s a fairly short walk to the resort.

Or walk, it's around 2 miles. Head east on Bay Street toward the bridge; then go left across the bridge and walk to Paradise Island. You’ll arrive at Atlantis almost immediately; in fact, you can see the distinctive pink castle-like landmark throughout your walk. Pedestrians do not have to pay the bridge toll. If you’re purchasing a day pass, the time spent walking could cut into your time at the resort.

Some people have been buying a 'throwaway' hotel room (Comfort Suites) in Nassau as they include a day pass for each guest. Be very careful to check all of the extras they charge as it could mean a very little saving but will take extra time from you as you have to go to the hotel first.
If you do get a pass (presume it's the waterpark you're after), they started charging a 12% VAT on everything along with a 15% auto gratuity. So just know that whatever you do, drink or eat is going to have an extra 27% added onto it before you even have it.

Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
We are also going on a dcl cruise on 13th September. We have stayed on Bahamas a couple of times and used to get the local jitney buses if not driving, they are really cheap.
On the Dream? You're in the FB group right? Joa
Old 9 Aug 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Bats
Never done FB. Daughter does Apparently they have one for each dcl cruise.
Last year she booked cocktail tasters on Dream on FB as the Disney one was full.
Found out so many useful tips on here especially from you.
Old 9 Aug 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
Bats
Never done FB. Daughter does Apparently they have one for each dcl cruise.
Last year she booked cocktail tasters on Dream on FB as the Disney one was full.
Found out so many useful tips on here especially from you.
If you're on the Dream 13th Sept, that's the same cruise as us! We have an open invite for people to visit our concierge 1 bed suite to be nosy if you want .. it's Nassau day 4-4:45pm. Room 11018 I think.
Is your daughter a member of the group?

Joa