Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Apr 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We're making the most of being down there this year, we're staying 2 nights in Florida City and spending a day in the keys before driving back up, we're also staying the night. The day before we fly home so I'm not worrying about getting back down there in time for the flight home
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You could stay in a nice beach hotel a fairly short drive from the airport? Wake up have breakfast put your toes in the sand? Then drive to Orlando?
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
FRANKLIN
Helping Mickey

Our return flight is from Miami so our debate is going a day earlier and spending the night in miami or driving down early morning just for the day as flight not till 18.00.

Anyone have an idea on the drive times and also is there much to do there with two 12 year olds?
Once in a lifetime holiday has now somehow taken place 7 times oops 😀So far weve had the pleasure of staying at: Quality inn **Springhill Suites ** Blue Heron Beach ** Royal Pacific**Pointe Orlando Resort **Fairfield** Vista Cay ** Eagle point** Hard Rock ** and magical Disney Cruises aboard the Wonder, Magic and Fantasy** Where to next...
FRANKLIN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We flew back from Miami last year and stayed at the Lago Mar in Fort Lauderdale for two nights. I only wish we had stayed there longer the children aged 12 and 16 loved it. I would definitely stay over and drive in the morning. If it was me I would probably drive part way on arrival day then stay over somewhere to make the journey shorter the day after. Also maybe if you stayed at an airport hotel you might save on car hire costs by picking the car up the day after you arrive.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Yes definitely stay over. Much safer and you'll be rested and enjoy the journey rather than stressing - especially if the plane is delayed!

We stayed in the Doral area near to the airport when we did this and then drove up the 27 the next morning early. Pretty route, good stopping places and no tolls.
How long did it take to drive up the 27? We're flying into Miami & staying 2 nights before our drive up to Orlando and I'd like to have the best route planned before we go.

Thanks.
Old 8 Apr 17, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We stay over and turn the first day into either a beach day or shopping day, so not losing a day of the holiday that way.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Your times sound similar to ours. We are going to stay in the Sheraton near the airport. There is a shuttle service to the hotel so we will get that back to the airport the following day so saving a day on car hire. I figured that was the safest thing to do as I don't want to be stressing about the time and the time difference if we are stuck in immigration for any length of time knowing we also have a long drive. As we willl be up early the next morning anyhow, we will still get to Disney quite early.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn't recommend driving that far after a 9 hour flight whether you got a nap or not. Stay overnight and do it the following morning.
However, it does remind me of our very first visit back in 1992. Road signing was practically non existent in those days. This young couple had booked a fly drive and were supposed to stay in the same hotel as us, the Quality Inn International - now the Rosen Inn. He had turned the wrong way out of MCO instead of towards I Drive and had continued all night to Miami. They were in such a state that Virgin had to arrange someone to go get them and show them the way back to our hotel. Within two days they gave up the hire car. She then started with flu!

Edited at 05:32 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post

We're flying into a Miami and have booked a hotel for the night. My hubby always wanted to do an airboat ride on the Everglades, something that I did when I was a teenager, and I know he and our boys would love it so I'm planning for them to do that before we drive up to Orlando. Would your husband be interested in doing something like that - that would then convince him to stay the night in Miami?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I'm going against the grain here. If I know that I can get up to Orlando before midnight then I go for it.