Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Feb 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Disney World - Disabled children (autism)

Hi guys,

I am bringing my family over to Florida (staying over in Clearwater) but will be coming over to Disney World and likely Universal on day trips.

My nephews are registered disabled due to autism, both have wheelchairs.

Does anyone know if their is any special assistance that Disney offers for these situations. They would love to do the rides but sadly wouldn't be able to be in a queue for long duration.

Any help would be grateful appreciated.

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2019
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

You can speak to guest services when you're there and they can give you a card which means you can return to a ride later without having to queue for so long. So if there's a 90 minute wait in the regular queue, you can get a fastpass thing for 90 minutes later.

Someone else will no doubt explain it better.
Disney2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by chris-number-1 View Post
Hi guys,

I am bringing my family over to Florida (staying over in Clearwater) but will be coming over to Disney World and likely Universal on day trips.

My nephews are registered disabled due to autism, both have wheelchairs.

Does anyone know if their is any special assistance that Disney offers for these situations. They would love to do the rides but sadly wouldn't be able to be in a queue for long duration.

Any help would be grateful appreciated.

Thanks
Have a look in the special needs forum on The Dibb. It will have all the info you need. Disney have something called the DAS. You need to go to Guest Services first to get it activated on your Magic Band or park ticket and then you speak to a cast member at an attraction and they give you a return time if there is a queue.

Edited at 04:15 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Prep them lots beforehand ..

And it's worth checking specifically for the universal rides if they do not transfer easily. I've heard there are some challenges there.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney2019 View Post
You can speak to guest services when you're there and they can give you a card which means you can return to a ride later without having to queue for so long. So if there's a 90 minute wait in the regular queue, you can get a fastpass thing for 90 minutes later.

Someone else will no doubt explain it better.

The DAS gets linked to the related account rather than the ticket/magicband i.e. if you buy a custom magicband or need a replacement you wont need to get DAS reactivated. You are free to use existing fastpass bookings whilst you wait for your return time so its a slight advantage over other guests from that point of view.

We found the return time was more like 10 minutes less than the posted in our experience which we assumed was to allow for walking the fastpass queue.

Universal works differently. You still have to go to guest services and they will give you a paper card. You take this card to the person working the queue and they will write down a return time. When you go back you enter the Express Pass queue. There's no guarantee that the Express pass line will be shorter than the regular line as anyone with EP can enter without a scheduled time. It usually is shorter but its worth knowing. If you have Express Pass already we found it doesn't really have a benefit.

Edited at 05:07 PM.
mysteryjimbo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As well as having a look at the Special Needs section on the DIBB, have a read of the following webpages on the Disney website:

Disability Access Service (DAS) Card Factsheet

Guests with Disabilities FAQs

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone for your help.

Have a great day all.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List