Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Dec 07, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

u s a laptop

going over in 7days would like to buy lap top for D/D 15 have pc at home but need back up also with gcses coming up I would like to be able to use it,only I dont want a cheap first level one and am wondering what brand to go for where to get it from in orlando ,and what features to look for ie longer battery life more than 1g .hope the conputer buffs can throw some help ,thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 07, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyGB
Getting Excited

I'm not going to offer any advice on makes/models etc as I haven't a clue but I think the US keyboard is a slightly different layout to the UK one. The letters/numbers are all the same but some of the characters like @ and " are on different keys I believe.

It's probably not a big deal, but just thought you should be aware of it.
AndyGB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 07, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Also, look out for the power requirement. The power rating in the US is completely different for here, which means in most circumstance you would need a transformer to use it here.
Old 7 Dec 07, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post

why not get it at the airport before you go? Were going to buy a mac notebook (Laptop) and saving £300 from the cost of buying from the Apple mac shop itself... Worth a look..
Old 7 Dec 07, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
1. All laptops should be able to accept dual voltage, i.e. 110 volt or 240 volt input, but best to check and you will need a US/UK adapter to use the laptop in the UK.
2. The keyboard layout will be slightly different as already posted
3. Warranty - unsure about this - if buying from Walmart you may be OK
4. If you have to pay import duty at customs, it may mean no savings have been made.

Sony at $750 + tax

Toshiba $950 + tax - bigger hard drive and more memory than Sony

HP at $970 + tax - similar spec but has 2 hard drives

UK - Ebuyer

ASUS at £440 - similar specs I would say

Similar Dell machine at £409 on offer

good luck whatever you decide on
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 07, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbell15
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi,

I bought one from Circuit City in November, they were really helpful (by the florida mall)! They have a team of people called the geek squad who reconfiger the laptop for use in UK (costs $30) and add all updates etc so it's ready to go. There are a few small differences on the keyboard but once it as been reconfigured everything is in the place it should be. I have now put small stickers on the keys to change them over.

Please be aware though that the warranty is not valid in the uk.

It was Best Buy - Not Circuit city!

Edited at 11:42 PM.
tinkerbell15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 07, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
andyhayley
Imagineer

I would also suggest you look at the Dixons Duty Free website, it means you have a UK guarantee.

If you are looking at an Apple, they also carry the warranty worldwide.
andyhayley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 07, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have bought a few laptops in the States over the years.
My favourite make is by far and away the Sony - any model.
We bought from Circuit City last year and it broke within the year and as we were due back there 2 days after the warranty expired I rang them to let them know it was faulty and we would be back there. they wiped their hands of us and said there was nothing they could do.
I would never buy from Circuit City now on principle.
I go to Best Buy or Sams Club.
Just bought the HP Pavillion this last trip and love it.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 07, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ade666
Serious Dibber

If you are interested in Best Buy check out the weekly adverts on their website - it is the supplement which goes out with the Orlando Sentinel on a Sunday. They have some really good deals. This year I bought a Compaq laptop with Vista Professional, 1gb memory and 89Gb harddrive for $450. It is a great laptop and since i added another Gb memory it is faster than my work laptop.

Have a look in Staples over there - there is one on the same site as Walmart on John Young Parkway - they have some really good deals.

If you want to practice weight lifting (and kill a bit of Sunday, not to mention half a rain forest ) buy the Orlando Sentinel on a Sunday. It weighs an absolute ton but it is full of brochures and adverts for Walmart, Walgreen, Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City and just about every company on Orlando. If you buy it from Walmart it normally has a money off voucher.

June 2014 - Explorers Hotel, DLP
Nov 2012 - Clarion Hotel Lake Buena Vista
Nov 2011 - Clarion Hotel Lake Buena Vista
Ade666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 07, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The last Sony I bought was from Best Buy and I used a coupon from the Sentinal - great savings.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread