Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jun 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Mobile

DS will be starting an Independent Film Degree at Salford in September. Weve applied for the loans but had nothing back as yet, anybody know when they will let us know? Apologies if I've missed it in the thread, only just started reading.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

My dd was looking at Nottingham online earlier in the week and that was £150 per week I think. So £600 a month for her and we have twins! So a potential £1200 per month 😱 And that’s just accommodation costs, no living expenses.

Edited at 08:46 PM.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I may possibly and more likely wrong 🙈 but I read that en suite at York is £7500 ish
Think you might be right, we have the open day this weekend so will find out then
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymum23
Proud to wear my Ears

My eldest two went to London uni's, kings & central st martins, they were able to travel in which kept the costs down but did look at quite a few uni's before they decided, at the time Loughborough & stoke were the cheapest accommodation wise. There is a 6 year gap between the third and can't believe it's time to look againwe have moved now so London will probably be far too expensive. Just booked into Uwe Bristol for an open day in oct, others daughter is interested in are all virtual at present.
dizzymum23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Does anyone know if there is a cost comparison for all of the university hall of residence costs? or is it just we need to google each individual Uni?

My son's thoughts are:
Exeter (penryn campus)
Cumbria
Aberystwyth
Bangor
Southampton

this is the first time i have looked into Universities in nearly 30 years - so am feeling quite lost with it all.
We are in Hertfordshire so all of his choices are 100% non-commutable (he is thinking of Marine Zoology so needs to be on the coast!)
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
I watched the Lancaster University Law and Criminology webinar with DD today, it was really good.

The criminology degree sounds really interesting and can lead to various routes
My daughter is also thinking about doing a criminology degree.

It’ll be interesting to see how your Dd gets on looking into the course.

My Dd isn’t 100% sure what to do, but criminology has caught her attention as she really wants to do something more practical than academic, so we are going with that at the moment.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
My daughter is also thinking about doing a criminology degree.

It’ll be interesting to see how your Dd gets on looking into the course.

My Dd isn’t 100% sure what to do, but criminology has caught her attention as she really wants to do something more practical than academic, so we are going with that at the moment.

Kat
It sounded like a really interesting course to do and from what Lancaster were saying you could do with other subjects as well, such as Psychology.

My daughter wants to do Law, she is thinking of adding Law with Criminology to her list for York alongside Law as the grade requirements are lower and gives a second option for York if she really likes it. The virtual open day is tomorrow
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
It sounded like a really interesting course to do and from what Lancaster were saying you could do with other subjects as well, such as Psychology.

My daughter wants to do Law, she is thinking of adding Law with Criminology to her list for York alongside Law as the grade requirements are lower and gives a second option for York if she really likes it. The virtual open day is tomorrow
Thanks fir that, I’ll get Dd to register for York tour.

She’s also looking at doing a criminology plus ? . Course, possibly Psychology as she’s doing that at A-Level.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleT
Getting Excited

Thank you for starting this thread, I have no experience with universities whatsoever so I'm sure this thread will be really helpful.

DS is hoping to study Physics at Uni next year and has so far narrowed his choices to:
Nottingham, Southampton, York, Lancaster and Warwick.

The above are all dependant on his predicted grades though which will be sent on Monday so fingers crossed they predict what he's hoping for !

He will be doing the virtual open day at York tomorrow and Warwick is next week. We missed the first Lancaster open day so he's booked on that on 11th July. I am hoping that real open days will be on during Autumn as I don't see how they can make a decision on where they will live for the next 3/4 years without visiting the place first.
MichelleT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymum23
Proud to wear my Ears

Sorry Vickicat, As far as I know you have to look separately at each uni for accommodation costs.

Edited at 02:58 PM.
dizzymum23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List