Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Jul 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Never thought of that, thank you. It would certainly be better for her to have a kitchenette. I can imagine that’s expensive though!
Depends which city. In Cardiff they have reduced them a lot - £120 per week in a luxury block that would normally be £170+. So may be worth a look about in the city or contact the Uni's Accommodation Office for advice?
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

For those who attended the York virtual open day on Saturday what did you think?

My daughter really liked it, she also likes the way that they teach Law
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
For those who attended the York virtual open day on Saturday what did you think?

My daughter really liked it, she also likes the way that they teach Law
DD seemed to like York too. Wasn’t overly keen on some of the accommodation, but like the course she was looking at. Less than an hour away from us too, which would be a bonus.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

i need to rant, sorry guys.

So last week DS was asked by his form tutor to send her his personal statement for 'middle of next week'.

I asked Tuesday evening how he was getting on, did he need any pointers etc, so be grunted at. I asked last night (weds) did he send it off and if he had not did he want me to rad over it? only to be grunted at again. i replied that i was only trying to help and i thought it needed to be in on Wednesday. to be grunted at again that 'she asked for it mid week'. i dropped the subject, it is his statement he can do what is needed.

so - this morning... he sent me what he has so far and 'half baked' does not describe well enough. it is a combo of bullets, thoughts and sentences. so i start going over what i think he needs to add /change/ elaborate or remove and he has now gone off in a huff as i 'took over'.

I have deleted the draft from my laptop and will be letting him get on with it!

why can't teenagers accept help i will never know!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Vikkicat View Post

So last week DS was asked by his form tutor to send her his personal statement for 'middle of next week'.

I asked Tuesday evening how he was getting on, did he need any pointers etc, so be grunted at. I asked last night (weds) did he send it off and if he had not did he want me to rad over it? only to be grunted at again. i replied that i was only trying to help and i thought it needed to be in on Wednesday. to be grunted at again that 'she asked for it mid week'. i dropped the subject, it is his statement he can do what is needed.

so - this morning... he sent me what he has so far and 'half baked' does not describe well enough. it is a combo of bullets, thoughts and sentences. so i start going over what i think he needs to add /change/ elaborate or remove and he has now gone off in a huff as i 'took over'.

Oh I feel your pain! I can’t wait for A level revision time...
I think I may leave the country for a couple of months. Either that or I will take out shares in a gin distillery!

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
Oh I feel your pain! I can’t wait for A level revision time...
I think I may leave the country for a couple of months. Either that or I will take out shares in a gin distillery!
can we not just live in a Gin distillery for the next few years?

my 13 year old is just as annoying - he just has not got the grunting at me down pat - well not as good as his older brother!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I’ll be going back to college next September to do an animal care HND. I’m so glad it’s not going to be uni, just college. I’m really looking forward to it though, I’m 25 and did a degree at the usual time but I regret it, wish I’d just done animal care but I hadn’t thought of it then. I have my own house so will be staying at home at least. And the college is only 15-20 minutes from my house which is good.

Luckily I also get a student loan and mature students loan at that which is more money. But I don’t get the fees paid unfortunately, but if nothing changes it should only £1800 a year for two years.

I also need to write a personal statement, which I am so not looking forward to, they are so awkward to write.

I’m currently doing a distance learning course in animal care as an introduction to it, which is going well.

Edited at 03:18 PM.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vikkicat View Post

For once I will side with the teenager here It may not feel like it at the moment but the school will help with the finished article and I'm sure just getting something down on paper as a first draft is fine

When my 2 completed their personal statement I was so proud of what they had produced … their love for their chosen subjects really shone through and it was all their work … not Mummy's for a change
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Mobile

I took my DS to the open day at Royal Holloway yesterday and happy days! He loved it!
I really liked it too.. a bit jealous tbh!
Seems not too big and coming from a small school that’s a huge bonus. He says it’s his 1st choice.
Time to get working on the A levels then! Lol

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Just bumping this - how is everyone getting on?

Virtual open days are horrible - not really all that helpful at all!
Has anyone found any Uni doing a good job of the virtual stuff and really getting a feel for the site/campus?

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DL 93