Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Return of the Rescuer – Day 4 –A Soggy Mess - 6.7.19

Return of the Rescuer – Day 4 –A Soggy Mess - 6.7.19

Index is here.

I had an amazing sleep; those beds are so comfy. I was awake at 6.30am and started the day with coffee and voodoo doughnuts.

We had decided to do the water rides this morning so we will be light on photos as I didn’t take my phone.

Headed into the park ready to get soaked…

First up One fish two fish. I love everything about this ride including the song, it’s just so much fun. A few goes of this and we were off to a soggy start.

Next up Jurassic Park, walk on. Ds has a wee fear of this ride as the lap bar only comes down to secure the biggest person in the row but he did it and he was fine.

Then on to our favourite, the Barges.last time we went on 5 times in a row but made ds settle for 4 this time. Nothing better than people watching on this, especially those who are on for their first time. We could not have been anymore wet if we’d jumped in the pool fully clothed.

By this point we were starving and tried to grab a pizza pretzel but nowhere was open so we headed for food in city walk. We decided on the Hot dog hall of Fame.

I have no photos as no phones so I borrowed one.

It was really good and hit the spot. We had a hot dog and fries each.
The Colorado ( someone else’s picture)

The Kansas and the Arizona.

They had a jalapeńo spicy mustard as well which ds and I loved.

Afterwards we stopped for more of my favourite puddings:

Voodoo Doughnuts

Lots of apple fritters

Old fashioned glazed

Orange creamsicle

Key lime pie

We also grabbed some cinnamon pretzels from Auntie Annie’s, I think these are the only things I really like from here, they are so good.

So yet again the plan was the pool, the weather though obviously didn’t like our plan and it was closed. However, it opened again fairly shortly so we went for it. In hindsight maybe not the best idea. The sky was still pretty dark and it wasn’t really warm.

We lasted about 20 minutes before the lifeguards whistled for the pool to close. We had literally reached the lounger to grab the towel when there was lightning and a big crack of thunder. A little close for comfort maybe. After that the sky just opened and the rain was mental.

We got ready upstairs and the weather showed no sign of getting any better, ds and dh decided to play pool close to the pool bar

where we carried on watching the weather with dismay.

The weather was horrendous, torrential rain, thunder, lightning, very depressing. We could not make up our mind what we wanted to do or where we wanted to eat, The Palm seemed a little over our budget and we were eating brunch at the kitchen the next day. There was a slight break in the storm so we headed upstairs to grab our Disney ponchos, sacrilege I know but needs must and headed to Citywalk. It’s just as well Hard Rock is so close and if you come out the faraway door at the end of the room corridor its an extremely short walk.

By the time we got to Citywalk, the rain was slightly better,

I was worried Cowfish might be busy if people had set up camp in there but it was actually fairly empty and we got a table straight away.
As a total coincidence we ended up at exactly the same table as we at when we were last there at Easter.

Dh had a black cherry cider and the black and Brie burger.

Beef burger, brie cheese, fresh blackberries, thyme infused honey, sake marinated Asian pear, micro greens, brioche bun

He loved both of these things.

I had a corona and ds had a Diet Coke.

We shared the firecracker roll

Shrimp tempura, kani inside coated with tempura flakes, topped with yellowtail, salmon, spicy mayo, masago, tobiko and scallions. Served with ponzu dipping sauce

and the tuna and bacon sandwich

Seared rare blackened yellowfin tuna, applewood bacon, iceberg, jalapeńos, tomato salsa, slaw and spicy mayo, served between grilled spring roll wrapper "buns" filled with kani and sushi rice. Served with house seasoned fries.

Both things were fantastic.

Our server was nice and the food was great. This one will be staying on my list for next time.

We decided to head into IOA and maybe do Spiderman and some of the other indoor rides. It was so quiet at the gates and they were testing Hulk by the time we went in and Doom was running.

We had the crazy idea that Hagrids may come back on, this was before they were closing early. We walked through the park, there were not that many people around and into Hogsmede. We were obviously not the only ones with this idea as there was a fair crowd outside the ride with murmurs that it may open.

We joined the line for the lockers at the side of the trin but the TMs came out and said that if they opened thos lockers wouldn’t. We just carried on waiting and about 10 minutes later they did indeed open the ride. They directed everyone in through the locker line at the other side, it was a bit mental as there was no line just a mass of people but everyone seemed to be trying to remain sensible. We were in the line, I couldn’t believe it and I didn’t think there were a crazy amount of people in front of us, ds was so excited. The line is great, so well themed but also quite dark like duelling dragons was. We were going at a reasonable pace and then just before the last room we slowed down significantly. Finally we made it into the last room and we were about 3 rows away from the front when the ride stopped. They held us for a while but it was clear it wasn’t working and they made an announcement that they were closing! Needless to say we were disappointed. I did feel sorry for the staff who could do nothing other than apologise.

When we got outside though they had managers and tms handing out passes and because they were special ruby passes they were eligible for Hagrids for another day. I thanked the person who gave us ours and said we were not really expecting that, they told us that these can be used in the same way as an express pass.

Aware of all the recent Hagrids issues, ds was worried we wouldn’t get on it tomorrow, we promised him if that was the case we would come back from Disney and book another night at Universal to do this. The park was really empty on the way out apart from us people who had been stuck on Hagrids way past closing.

A few nice night time photos taken on the way back to Hard Rock.

We were in 2 minds what to do about the following day now we had these ‘golden’ tickets for Hagrids. We had no clue how long the line would take and check out was at 11am and we were nowhere near organised. I thought we would go and speak to the front desk and see what we could do about a late check out. Our luck was in and we got the nicest member of staff ever. We explained the situation and she offered us 12 o’clock check out which they are allowed to do without charge but agreed that she had no clue how long the line would take either. Next thing she made a phone call and came back and said since it was such a rare event to get Hagrids passes and it was so exciting they’d give us till 1pm the next day! It is so nice when the staff there are as excited as you are.

Happy we headed upstairs, did a very quick bit of packing and settled into bed nearer to 1am.

Day 5 is here

Edited at 08:23 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

How lovely of the front desk and great news about the pass! That was a rainstorm and a half from the looks of it 😱 I can't wait to sample voodoo donuts, only problem I will have is making a decision 😂 Thanks for the tip on exiting the hotel to citywalk - DH is going to watch Slash at the Hard Rock Live the second night we're there so good to know 👌
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

At first, I thought you meant you borrowed a phone to take the hot dog picture, I was thinking that was sheer dedication to the cause.

So sad about Hagrid’s, I’d have been so disappointed but how lovely of them to be offering the ruby passes.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
How lovely of the front desk and great news about the pass! That was a rainstorm and a half from the looks of it 😱 I can't wait to sample voodoo donuts, only problem I will have is making a decision 😂 Thanks for the tip on exiting the hotel to citywalk - DH is going to watch Slash at the Hard Rock Live the second night we're there so good to know 👌
The staff there were so lovely.

The short cut is great, when you get to the bottom of the stairs carry on round past the gym following the corridor right to the end.

It’s great when you come back late as well when the pool is shut. Just take the path as if you were going to the pool and use your key on the pad outside the door to get in.
Old 2 Aug 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
At first, I thought you meant you borrowed a phone to take the hot dog picture, I was thinking that was sheer dedication to the cause.

So sad about Hagrid’s, I’d have been so disappointed but how lovely of them to be offering the ruby passes.
I’m dedicated but that not that dedicated😂
Old 3 Aug 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

It always rains like that when we are at HRH too. Your pool experience was similar to ours last year.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

What a shame about the rain, but a fantastic bonus on the late checkout and Hagrid's pass.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by MaryMendes View Post
It always rains like that when we are at HRH too. Your pool experience was similar to ours last year.
It's a shame because HRH has such a lovely pool area with a really nice atmosphere.

Originally Posted by JanetteParker View Post
What a shame about the rain, but a fantastic bonus on the late checkout and Hagrid's pass.
I think we made the best of it, the weather was a bit of a pest this year but without the rain there would have been no chance at all of Hagrids.
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

I’m excited for you for Hagrid’s fingers crossed for tomorrow 🤞
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cenerentola
Trying for More Ears

Those Voodoo doughnuts are delicious. That rain is bonkers. X
Cenerentola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List