Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Virgin Atlantic CC issue

I have received an email from Virgin Money stating they are withdrawing the ability to service our cc's on line. It can only be done via an app. Now DH and I may be dinosaurs but all our financials are done on a desktop computer and I have no desire to start using a phone for mine and DH doesn't even own a smartphone! Why on earth would they do this?

We both have Amex cards but as we all know not everywhere takes Amex. Guess we will have to find a new CC provider

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

We'll be getting rid of our Virgin CC then. Not using an app.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I had the E Mail as well and will be E Mailing them back with my disquiet. If 1000's do that they may capitulate.

I can manage on the App and will do ir as I want the FC Points but I'm not happy.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

You beat me to it marlouwrig!
I was about to post the same thing. I am really annoyed about it - dam cheek of it!
I have Secure Messaged them today, via the online service, for myself and for my DH on his. Whilst I do have a smart phone it is NOT for doing my banking on and there is no way I would ever do so!
My message to them reads:
'I do NOT have a smart phone to do my banking on & have no intention of using one now or in the future just because you want me to download an app to use your service instead of the present excellent on-line service. Should I clear and cancel my credit card now or run it down and pay it off before you close the CC on line service in January?'

We both have well over 100K airmiles each and will still be able to continue to make miles using 'shops away' via our FFC accounts but will just use a different card to pay for things. Think I will start using my BA Amex card to pay when I do that just & make both sets of miles.
For other use, where I am unable to use Amex, I will use one of my other cards in future.

I will not be told by anyone to use an app on a telephone for banking just because they say I will have to, so I & DH will, after paying our accounts off, be closing & saying goodbye to the VSMastercard. Lets hope if enough people make similar complaints they will be forced to rethink.
Old 13 Dec 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I also wasn't impressed when I received the email. To be honest I haven't been using my card much this year anyway. I normally do most of my banking on the laptop online rather than my phone and don't like having to download yet another app.
Old 13 Dec 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don't see the issue, it's their credit card you are just given the right to use it (the T&C make that clear).

It's no different to charter travel mandating everyone has to pay by bank transfer (even though we would all prefer to make a personal choice on how we do it).

It's their product they decide how it works. This is going to be the norm in 3 years anyway so you may as well get used to it...
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I don't see the issue, it's their credit card you are just given the right to use it (the T&C make that clear).

It's no different to charter travel mandating everyone has to pay by bank transfer (even though we would all prefer to make a personal choice on how we do it).

It's their product they decide how it works. This is going to be the norm in 3 years anyway so you may as well get used to it...
Totally disagree with you, it might be their card and they can decide how it works but its also our prerogative to dump the card when some tries to tell us how we can use it, there are plenty of alternatives! It will not be the norm there will always have to be alternatives for those who do not own or can not use a phone of any sort to start with!
Old 13 Dec 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post

I absolutely will not get used to it! As a customer I should have choice and if I don't get it I shall vote with my feet.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I’m surprised they’ve done that. There is no way I would choose to maintain an app without having a web experience too.

Is it Virgin Money who run the card?
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Totally disagree with you, it might be their card and they can decide how it works but its also our prerogative to dump the card when some tries to tell us how we can use it, there are plenty of alternatives! It will not be the norm there will always have to be alternatives for those who do not own or can not use a phone of any sort to start with!
Try and find a credit card that you can only operate by post. They don't exist, yet 15 years ago they were the norm.

The world moves on
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List