Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 26 Jun 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Vlogging camera

My DD suffers with depression and anxiety and has been talking about starting vlogging to help her overcome this, she's heard it has helped others.

Has anyone any ideas on the type of camera that would be good to start off with? She's looking at a Canon with a flip screen as that's what one of her favourite Vloggers uses but it's quite expensive.

We have a GoPro but DS has commandeered that for Disney

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Stitch73 View Post
My DD suffers with depression and anxiety and has been talking about starting vlogging to help her overcome this, she's heard it has helped others.

Has anyone any ideas on the type of camera that would be good to start off with? She's looking at a Canon with a flip screen as that's what one of her favourite Vloggers uses but it's quite expensive.

We have a GoPro but DS has commandeered that for Disney
I either use a go pro or sometimes resort to just using my phone.
If she doesn't want to use her phone then Sony do a range of great cameras that are perfect like Sony W800 which is rather cheap

Hope that helps
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Definitely consider starting with a mobile phone to find her feet and get started.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Thank you, she's done a bit of research and been out looking today (feel happy she's left the house)and talked to a camera assistant and likes the look, feel and ease of the Sony RX100 iii.

DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Stitch73 View Post
Thank you, she's done a bit of research and been out looking today (feel happy she's left the house)and talked to a camera assistant and likes the look, feel and ease of the Sony RX100 iii.
I can't sing the praises enough of the RX100 iii as I chose it over the Canon G7x MK 2 for vlogging with

One thing to note is wind noise, you're daughter will want to look at dead cats, they're easier to install on the Canon than the Sony due to the location of the flash
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

I'd side with people suggesting using a phone or a relatively cheap point and shoot to start off with. The G7X and Sony RX100 and the kings of Youtube at the minute (along with a few Canon DSLRs) but they're expensive and probably overkill for someone just getting started.

It depends on the type of thing your DD is looking to do, if it's indoor talking stuff then the Logitech C270 webcam is a great starting point. If it's more out and about then any modern smartphone should have a good enough camera. For something a little closer to the G7 / RX100 - but slightly cheaper, there's this Sony - it has a flip out screen a little bit of slo-mo capability, and good image stabilisation - might be worth a look.

Just be careful of falling into the trap of thinking vlogging is all about the camera, it's possible to make great stuff with really basic equipment or go out and spend a fortune and then not make use of it. It's easily done (not speaking from experience at all )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I bought a go pro look alike for a fraction of the GoPro cost on Amazon. Probably a good starting point and if she gets into it seriously upgrade her gear at Christmas.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone, she's told me it's not really all about the vlogging but just really wants a flip up screen. She does take a lot of photo's and videos on her Moto G5s so she's kinda used to that.

She wrote a list of the pros and cons and decided that she'd buy herself one, can't really stop her as she's 18 and saved her money, only advise.

She went online and found the cheapest option and went into curry's and they price matched for her and she hasn't stopped using it since she got it yesterday. It'll get a real good working tonight for her brother's prom photo's.

DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Old 29 Jun 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Great news! The Sony is a great camera for both video and photos! Perfect for vlogging too!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Although I am taking a gopro to WDW I would seriously experimenting using a mobile phone. As an example my son was invested into explorer scouts last week and - by accident - I was there when it happened but only had my mobile with me. So I captured the video on the phone edited on the phone and then when I got home uploaded to YouTube and FB (closed group) without the need for any other devices