Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Dec 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
davo7777
Trying for More Ears

Noob car hiring for Florida

Hi, following my first post, (it will not let me post a link sorry) to which I was given some good advice I have now booked our flights and accommodation for our trip in June, having never hired a motor before in the UK or abroad I am seeking some advice, in my previous post I had stated a preference for a European car (BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi), I have come round to the idea of an american car although a European car would remain my preference. I was looking at hiring the car through Virgin (which I believe is Alamo). Was looking at a luxury car which apparently is a Cadillac CTS or similiar. I know very little about the car, the interior looks very nice and the exterior design looks awful but I think it would be fine for us for our holiday, I think the CTS V is their equivalent of an M5 or E63? This would cost in the region of £550 which seems reasonable? I have also looked at Sixt, where an E class or similar is around £600. I was also considering an SUV, which is a Range Rover Velaar or similar for around £700 or the larger Mercedes GLS or similar for £800. I drive an XFR at home which is a 63 plate so the car is getting older now and the entertainment system is dated so the hire car will be superior in that regard. I plan on using Google on my phone for Sat Nav but i'm pretty good at finding my way with a map and signage etc so I won't be opting to pay for a Sat Nav it seems extremely overpriced, I could understand if they were offering it as an extra for $10 but I could buy a new one with what they are asking. I guess the way they see it is if the tourists can afford over a grand to attend an amusement park they can afford a little extra for a Sat Nav.

I see Alamo is very popular on this forum and have not seen too much about Sixt and also Alamo is right there at the airport and Sixt is a short shuttle ride. Can anyone tell me about deposits etc. Do you have to leave a large deposit for the car, or do you just give your card details?

What do you guys think is the best way to go with this, has anyone hired through Sixt? If so what did you get and how was your experience?

The other thing I am curious about is that they say you can turn right on a red light which seems bizarre.

Any advice welcome, this is my first time hiring a car and also driving outside the UK.

I don't want to pay more than 1k for the two weeks but would like a nice car, we will need something with 4 doors so a Mustang etc is out of the question.

Thanks in advance
davo7777 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Ok some anwers that may help you

Most of us on here use Alamo as their fleet is pretty good but the big plus is you pick your own car from the row you have paid for. Normally a choice of 20 or so cars per class. Sometimes more sometimes less.
The better the class the less the numbers. So in Luxury there may be 5 or 10 cars only.

I have had a Cadillac from Alamo that was filthy! However they are normally clean and tidy as they rent less due to price so don't get so much wear and tear.

SixT are very good, rarely hear a bad comment. But as you say they are offsite. Their minibus is always looping around the airport though so that's not too bad.

How do I do it?
Price up all the big players -
Virgin Atlantic
Andy who advertises on here
Netflights
Auto Europe
Usrentacar
Uscarhire
Alamo Brits

I show no loyalty and go with the cheapest. Mind you some give 2 drivers free (VA and Brits) the rest don't.

Finally there are some good links on the Dibb Guidebook to driving in the States etc.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car-rental-p-403.html

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car...mes-p-517.html

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:14 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 18, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

just read the "how to" on driving in America, i never knew that If you have to use your wipers you need your headlights as well -- every day is a school day.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 18, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
davo7777
Trying for More Ears

Thanks guys, still undecided on how to go but leaning towards using Alamo at the moment. I will check out the guides.
Old 16 Feb 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
davo7777
Trying for More Ears

Ok so I have booked a car for our trip from Sixt, which is an SUV, (Range Rover Velar, Volvo XC90 or similar), coming to £550 for the fortnight, which I thought was reasonable although my knowledge is limited. I am hoping that one of the above models is available as I know they have nice interiors and look nice. Does anybody have any ideas of the process at Sixt? Is there an opportunity to choose a car similar to Alamo or is it a case of get the one car you are given? The company seems to be less favoured on here which is a slight concern but they seem to have good prices on European cars which is what drew me to them as I am not fond of American and Japanese motors. If anybody has rented through Sixt I would be interested to know how you found it.
Old 16 Feb 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by davo7777 View Post
Ok so I have booked a car for our trip from Sixt, which is an SUV, (Range Rover Velar, Volvo XC90 or similar), coming to £550 for the fortnight, which I thought was reasonable although my knowledge is limited. I am hoping that one of the above models is available as I know they have nice interiors and look nice. Does anybody have any ideas of the process at Sixt? Is there an opportunity to choose a car similar to Alamo or is it a case of get the one car you are given? The company seems to be less favoured on here which is a slight concern but they seem to have good prices on European cars which is what drew me to them as I am not fond of American and Japanese motors. If anybody has rented through Sixt I would be interested to know how you found it.
Sixt are very good. The reason they aren't so popular on here is they are offsite. Tend to be dominated by non American cars.
Good price by the way, well done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List