Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Feb 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SeasideMM
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I think it depends on how well your glasses fit you. When I wore glasses I had pairs that were very loose fitting (to the point that if I was sweaty and looked down they would start sliding down, and nothing the optometrist tried kept it from doing so except using ear hooks) and pairs that were very secure and never felt like they were sliding off my face. There was absolutely no way I would have worn my loose fitting glasses onto rollercoasters, though I might have been tempted to chance it with my better fitting glasses.

Also I was pretty blind without glasses with a ridiculous prescription where it took me about 2-3 weeks to get a new pair of glasses, so I really didn't want to take the risk of losing my glasses on a ride. So for me at that time it was bring spare pair of glasses on holiday, but also never go on a ride wearing glasses (either take them off for the ride, or use contacts).

Oh and many years ago as a teenager I was on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Orlando. I think the ride must have suddenly bumped something or other but I basically hit I think the side of my face against something on the ride vehicle, and ended up bending my wire glasses arm to something like a 30 degree angle. Thankfully we managed to bend it back but that incident has made me very wary of wearing glasses on rides. Especially since Jurassic Park would normally be considered a "safe" ride for glasses...

Last anecdote - last year was at Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Disneyland (basically same ride mechanics as Tower of Terror), and a lady in the same car lost her glasses during the ride. (Thankfully it only flew elsewhere in the car and she got it back at the end of the ride!)

This has become rather long, but I guess the main thing is - be careful when wearing glasses on rides?
I didn’t consider the other issue about possibly hurting myself with the glasses if I bang my head when they are on.
I will keep your warning in mind- just seems a shame not to be able to see anything when I am on the rides...
My 7 year old also wears glasses and can’t see without, so potentially an issue for him too. He has some sports goggles he wears for rugby so these are strapped on and have foam inside so can withstand some bumps!
SeasideMM is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

Ds2 wears glasses all the time so he has both prescription polarised sunglasses and his usual glasses.

He has glasses straps on both, the only time he worried was on Manta at Seaworld because you are face down so he took them off, we did ride it several times. He wore his glasses on all the other rides, Hulk at Universal, Rock n Roller etc

He has never been injured by his glasses and the straps come in all manner of colours.

I always smile when someone mentions fashionable things in a place where people wear Mickey Mouse ears on their heads, bum bags and whatever is considered "comfy shoes" so for us Skechers.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Potterer View Post
I always smile when someone mentions fashionable things in a place where people wear Mickey Mouse ears on their heads, bum bags and whatever is considered "comfy shoes" so for us Skechers.
This. Disney is quite literally the last place on earth I'd worry about being fashionable in as no one else is.

If your glasses fit well, I wouldn't be too concerned. But maybe use the strap for any with loops, like RNR. I don't like the Universal and Seaworld rides so can't comment on those.

Edited at 01:26 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SeasideMM
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Potterer View Post
Ds2 wears glasses all the time so he has both prescription polarised sunglasses and his usual glasses.

He has glasses straps on both, the only time he worried was on Manta at Seaworld because you are face down so he took them off, we did ride it several times. He wore his glasses on all the other rides, Hulk at Universal, Rock n Roller etc

He has never been injured by his glasses and the straps come in all manner of colours.

Hahaha, you are absolutely right... currently wearing my comfy crocs, so am not fashionable in the slightest! I am also intending to wear one of my daughters Minnie Mouse wars (possibly not the unicorn one) so not sure why I am bothered about glasses strap!
SeasideMM is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

I usually take 2 pairs to the parks, my prescription sunglasses which I wear probably 80% of the time and then my normal glasses for when I’m doing something indoors (shows, indoor coasters). I’ve never come close to losing either on anything in Disney, but I’m safe in the knowledge that should I lose a pair I at least have a 2nd pair to get me out of the park and driving home.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We both wear glasses and bought the sports type straps for the rides.
I could just about manage without mine but DH couldn't plus the cost to replace them DH paid over £400 for his current pair.