Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jan 19, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile DAS and Rhuematoid arthritis

I’ve just been reading some threads regarding mobility issues and getting a DAS. I have juvenile RA in my knees, I was diagnosed back when I was 10.

The problem I’m seeing is that Disney are recommending people with mobility issues get scooters or wheelchairs during their trip, but sitting down is just as bad as standing almost still- like in a long queue- is for me, my legs just lock up. I constantly have to walk around, and even during university exams this was allowed for me to make sure I didn’t lock up my knees.

I’m actually going through a good spell at the moment, so hopefully a DAS won’t even be necessary for my next visit but I’m curious now to hear about people’s experience with this and what they think Disney would say- though obviously only the CM on the day could decide.

Do you think explaining that moving around as much as possible is important to keeping my legs moving is good enough for Disney to issue a DAS?

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Tell them you cannot use a scooter as your joints seize up. I cannot use a scooter either and have always found them really helpful.
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Tell them you cannot use a scooter as your joints seize up. I cannot use a scooter either and have always found them really helpful.
That’s a relief! I’ve seen other people say Disney will say to hire a mobility scooter for anyone with a mobility issue but that really doesn’t work for me- also I like the exercise of walking around, best to get it in whilst I’m still young!

Hopefully if I do have to talk to them they will be understanding!
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
That’s a relief! I’ve seen other people say Disney will say to hire a mobility scooter for anyone with a mobility issue but that really doesn’t work for me- also I like the exercise of walking around, best to get it in whilst I’m still young!

Hopefully if I do have to talk to them they will be understanding!
They did suggest I used a scooter the first time I approached them but when I explained that was not an option they were fine.
Old 7 Feb 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just an update for anyone who searches through old posts to look for answers like I do!

I went to the guest services office in Epcot yesterday and explained, and didn’t even have to say more then a line before the cast member offered me the DAS and took my picture and scanned my band. It took about 2 minutes, in and out.

We did do it at the end of the day because I was hoping I wouldn’t need it at all, but after a stand by wait of 30 mins at frozen ever after turned into 85 we decided it would be best to not have to stand that long again, just in case.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019