Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 4 Dec 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile Learning to cook

I am very poor at cooking. I have no confidence when it comes to throwing things together, and I get put off with fancy recipes.

But I have decided that I want to improve my cooking skills. As a family we like to eat healthy. Our normal go-to meals are salads or stir fry.

Do you have any suggestions of healthy recipes that I could try, or any instagram accounts I could follow to give me some inspiration?
Old 4 Dec 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Is there a college near you. Ours does a basic cookery class once a week for 12 weeks.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
Is there a college near you. Ours does a basic cookery class once a week for 12 weeks.
I have thought about that, I think I will take a look. Thanks
Old 4 Dec 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

You should get Jamie’s Ministry of Food cookbook.
It’s from the series he did years ago where he was teaching people to cook and become more confident to experiment.
I’m sure that’s what it was called

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
You should get Jamie’s Ministry of Food cookbook.
It’s from the series he did years ago where he was teaching people to cook and become more confident to experiment.
I’m sure that’s what it was called
That rings a bell, just off to look. Thanks
Old 4 Dec 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Maybe you could go to the library and pick up two or three cookery books? That way you could get a feel for the sort of recipes you like without spending a lot of money. Nigella is one of my favourites as her recipes are generally family friendly and easy to follow.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

If you like recipes with, say, chicken then uTube Simple chicken recipes & follow them on-line.
For easy casseroles I just use up odds n ends of veggies I have In the fridge with a stock cube & couple of chicken breast cubed or some lamb chops etc. Low heat for a couple of hours, stick some small potatoes in too n do a one pot meal
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
If you like recipes with, say, chicken then uTube Simple chicken recipes & follow them on-line.
For easy casseroles I just use up odds n ends of veggies I have In the fridge with a stock cube & couple of chicken breast cubed or some lamb chops etc. Low heat for a couple of hours, stick some small potatoes in too n do a one pot meal
That’s sounds lovely, and so easy. Think I need to be brave and experiment
Old 5 Dec 18, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Check out you tube, we have picked up far more recipes and techniques from watching others doing it than from a book!
Jan 97 - May 03 - QIP, May 04 - Wyndham /HRH, Sept 05 - Windsor Palms, May 07 - Windsor Hills, May 08 - WiH/HRH, May09 - CP/ WL /Bradenton, May/June10 - CP/ YC/Bradenton May/June 11 P.E & Sunset Lakes, May/June 2012 YC/AKL, May/June 13 Sheraton ViV HRH &YC May 14 Sandpearl , Rennaisance SW & PBH, May 16 BC and Sandpearl, Oct 17 BC. Aug 19 Miami & Wilderness Lodge Aug 2020 Sandpearl Margaritaville & Hard Rock
lexie32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Delia Smiths How to Cook is good and starts off with the basics. Literally starts off telling you how to boil a egg then progresses to family meals !
Other than that I use you tube a lot now instead of cookery books. I am not a fancy cook either. Slow cooker is my best friend- I have just made a massive beef stew, always goes down well !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List