Notices

Old 7 Apr 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Your description of dealing with your parents and any kind of technology really made me laugh! I must admit my DH seems to be struggling to get his head round the dining plan info - I guess it all seems a bit much to people who aren’t mega planners!

Great bargain on RPR. Luckily we don’t have masses of clubcard vouchers as I didn’t realise they could be used and paid full whack...but I’ll remember if we go back.

The box of goodies is such a fun idea! Looking forward to hearing about the planning nights.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I love the idea of the Disney box, great choice of contents. I’m sure they’ll get around to studying things properly nearer the time. Before our first trip I gave my mum a Disney guide book, which she didn’t read, and am sure I told her 200 times on the trip that she would know what X was if she’d read the book!

What a bargain the RPR stay is with your vouchers, I very much approve. Your parents will love the Express passes. I have just had to talk myself out of also indulging in this ‘bargain’ as it would involve purchasing Universal tickets.

Don’t change your plans! I’ve never really thought it matters what day you go to which park on, but I do think your parents first park should be Magic Kingdom. As well it is being ‘classic’ the rides are all tame so they can ease themselves in nicely, if you do AK or HS you run the risk of them doing a thrill ride, hating it, and then never wanting to ride anything ever again.

Bless you explaining the credits situation over and over again. You really can't get your head around it until you are actually there, and I suppose as they won't be 'in charge', they might never actually get it! Last year, I bought my mum a nice Magic Band and I took her one for her room and used it to take care of the bill and buy snacks and so on.
The tickets for Universal were not quite as bargainous as I had hoped, but there was no way we weren't going to go as mum will love the Harry Potter bits. The new ride that is Hagrids motorbike in place of duelling dragons should be open by summer and I'm really excited to try that out I hope it's included in the express passes.

So, you're firmly in the keep MK as first day and then again on day 3...I do like the EMH at MK as it gives the hour before opening of no waits, plus usually it's not busy between 9 and 10 so we can get lots done. I suppose I didn't want them thinking 'is this it?' If all we do is MK...

You're right they won't be in charge. I'm already thinking of the credits as pooled across all 6 of us, that's 168 snack credits I don't suppose it matters really, I don't think Dave or the kids fully appreciate the difference between snack, qs or ts credits.

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Great update! Bargain for your universal stay too - oh how I wish I had a tesco Clubcard.. 😭😄 Lovely having an overnight stay pre travel day too - I agree it really adds to your holiday. Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing your final plans as FP day rolls around! 👌😊
I can't wait for FP day, it's at the end of May for us so it feels like ages yet, but I've just thought that's next month now!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Ah that Disney box is so great. What a thoughtful gift. Lol I get excited if the Avon lady gives me a free sample so that box would be like a million christmases !

What a bargain price for RPR. Love love love staying at Universal hotels.

Yeah AK sounds like a good first park. mK can be overwhelming especially for a first day, first visit .

Am looking forward to your completed DLP trippy .. nudge nudge... as I am going on a cheeky 3 day trip for November . Never been before so looking to crab lots of tips from fellow visitors .
Ha ha, I love it when Good Housekeeping put the little samples of face cream or whatever in the magazine so I'm in total agreement. Kate loves to come to Tesco just in case they have try before you buy stuff

That's a vote for AK first day. I was sort of thinking that my wanting them to love everything about the holiday could be a bit overwhelming. So, perhaps there would be less pressure if we went to AK first. I'm uncertain about it.

I've written the next day for DLP and will post it later today. The day ended badly and I had toyed with the idea of glossing over the humiliation, but I've written it now so just got to upload it with the photos. Possibly that is the worst trailer for a trip report! The rest of the day was lovely, you can see for yourself later.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Your description of dealing with your parents and any kind of technology really made me laugh! I must admit my DH seems to be struggling to get his head round the dining plan info - I guess it all seems a bit much to people who aren’t mega planners!

Great bargain on RPR. Luckily we don’t have masses of clubcard vouchers as I didn’t realise they could be used and paid full whack...but I’ll remember if we go back.

The box of goodies is such a fun idea! Looking forward to hearing about the planning nights.
I'm fortunate that one of my brothers is considered the IT support and so he gets to deal with any technical issues usually.

I was prepared to pay around £250 per night for the RPR room as for our dates in August there didn't seem to be any bargains out there. I'm glad the vouchers could be used as £70 per night for four people is pretty awesome.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Oh Abby that Disney box is adorable and the perfect little touch!

Well done with the hotels.com discount. I can imagine how long the phonecall took when Mr Grump has to explain things to his parents it can be quite tedious. His mum isn't the easiest to teach either ... she once kicked off as she couldn't get through to the Royal Mail delivery office ... turns out she was calling the opening hours 0800 1300 we've never let her live it down. I got on a rant there sorry but at least your all sorted now. You'll love RPR! Can't wait to see what you think of it xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Oh Abby that Disney box is adorable and the perfect little touch!

Well done with the hotels.com discount. I can imagine how long the phonecall took when Mr Grump has to explain things to his parents it can be quite tedious. His mum isn't the easiest to teach either ... she once kicked off as she couldn't get through to the Royal Mail delivery office ... turns out she was calling the opening hours 0800 1300 we've never let her live it down. I got on a rant there sorry but at least your all sorted now. You'll love RPR! Can't wait to see what you think of it xx
Hilarious, ok so you know how usernames and passwords are all case sensitive. I have had the same conversation about my email address with them.

Them "Does it have any capitals in?"
Me "It doesn't matter"
Them "Are you sure?"
Me "Yes"
Them "Is it capital letters for your initials?"
Me "It doesn't matter it's an email address they're not case sensitive"
Them "Hmm..."

I still don't think they trust me.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hilarious, ok so you know how usernames and passwords are all case sensitive. I have had the same conversation about my email address with them.

Them "Does it have any capitals in?"
Me "It doesn't matter"
Them "Are you sure?"
Me "Yes"
Them "Is it capital letters for your initials?"
Me "It doesn't matter it's an email address they're not case sensitive"
Them "Hmm..."

I still don't think they trust me.
Eeeee honestly I'm bad laughing, bless them! It must be so hard for them to get their heads around though! I'm bad enough when I get a new phone X
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Eeeee honestly I'm bad laughing, bless them! It must be so hard for them to get their heads around though! I'm bad enough when I get a new phone X
I'm making out they at old and decrepit when they are really not

I think it's the job of all children to roll their eyes when their parents try to do anything technical. I'm the same with my phone, Max and Kate find it hilarious that I couldn't work the surround sound on the telly or switch from Netflix back to normal TV without them. They roll their eyes and make fun of me too.

Old 7 Apr 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm making out they at old and decrepit when they are really not

I think it's the job of all children to roll their eyes when their parents try to do anything technical. I'm the same with my phone, Max and Kate find it hilarious that I couldn't work the surround sound on the telly or switch from Netflix back to normal TV without them. They roll their eyes and make fun of me too.
Yep we're all the same now. I'm lucky Chris is a computer engineer and keeps up to date with most things but I'm useless with stuff 😂 xx
Old 9 Apr 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
So, I canvassed at home, ok I asked the only person who cares (Kate ) about the itinerary problems.

She was a bit worried about the idea of doing MK on day 1 and 3, there was a sharp intake of breath then when I explained that the reason I put in MK for day 3 was because there are EMH on this day she said 'der'... I'm not sure if this is an accurate spelling, essentially it means I've been ridiculous in asking something that is so obvious it didn't need checking, therefore of course we have to do the EMH at MK on day 3.

So I said, I've been thinking about doing AK on day 1 to avoid the problem of MK almost twice in a row. Now I thought this would go down well given that AK was her favourite park last year, but this suggestion was not at all to her liking, at least I believe that is the translation for a narrowing of the eyes and looking at me like I've grown 3 heads and have started talked Martian!

It seems that not doing MK on the first day and then not doing it on a EMH day are both out, so then we do the maths and of course get to why have Disney ruined our holiday ? Ok it wasn't quite that drastic, but would it hurt them to organise themselves better so that we could get our EMH in on the first few days when we are up early due to the jet lag? Come on Disney sort it out

If any of you have a hotline to the powers that be please put in a good word as I don't think this conundrum is going to resolve itself.

Meantime, we had a Premier Inn breakfast today and then stopped until we dropped in Primark and we may need to add more cases. It's been a good start to the Easter hols!

Old 9 Apr 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Yes Kate! I knew you wouldn't let me down.

I think there's so much to do in MK that your days don't have to be too same-y. I'd suggest maybe concentrating on different lands on the different days but I know you tend to criss-cross the park a bit more than we do. Keep in mind you have resort time planned on both Day 1 and 3 so you could always park hop if the fancy took you.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

You can always rely on the children to set you straight!

I must admit that I'm making sure we visit each park once in our first four days, and haven't factored in EMH if it doesn't fit into that. Now I'm worried that's a mistake...these holidays aren't easy to plan are they?!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List