Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile Planning help R.C - Indy

After planning several Disney holidays I imagined that cruise planning would be a doddle. But I am feeling a bit out of my comfort zone.

This is our first cruise and I am not at all familiar with how much or little we should be planning.

There are 3 of us going on board the Indy this summer, myself, dh and son aged 10. We have just booked my time dining, and booked in for 6.30pm every evening. I think ds May find it too formal, but I am sure we can make other arrangements if we are not happy in the main dining room.

Does anyone have any tips on planning, or where else I can look to find planning advice?

Many thanks
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I found this site to be really useful when we were planning our cruise. You will be able to find menus and lots of information about the ship-
royalcaribbeanblog/

We went on Harmony and didn’t find it formal at all. I formal night it was a mix of formal dress and just smart. You could dress as you liked and no one looked out of place. There are lots of different restaurants sit down waiter service, speciality restaurants (extra charge but worth it) and buffets. You will love it I’m sure.

Keep a look on your cruise planner as they have regular offers if you want to book excursions or any extras. On the 2 cruises we have done we have arranged our own excursions as the ships were always expensive.

We loved our cruises and will definitely do it again !

I did use cruise critic but the posters are not as friendly as dibbers !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I found this site to be really useful when we were planning our cruise. You will be able to find menus and lots of information about the ship-
royalcaribbeanblog/

We went on Harmony and didn’t find it formal at all. I formal night it was a mix of formal dress and just smart. You could dress as you liked and no one looked out of place. There are lots of different restaurants sit down waiter service, speciality restaurants (extra charge but worth it) and buffets. You will love it I’m sure.

Keep a look on your cruise planner as they have regular offers if you want to book excursions or any extras. On the 2 cruises we have done we have arranged our own excursions as the ships were always expensive.

We loved our cruises and will definitely do it again !

I did use cruise critic but the posters are not as friendly as dibbers !
Many thanks for sharing this information, I will take a browse. You provide a glowing reference for cruising , sounds like you have thoroughly enjoyed your trips.
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Many thanks for sharing this information, I will take a browse. You provide a glowing reference for cruising , sounds like you have thoroughly enjoyed your trips.
We really did but I think we will wait until our son and daughter have stopped coming with us to do another.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

As smilesonfaces says, keep checking your cruise planner for things you can book. You can't book shows, they are first come first served, most performances will be repeated. Someone did say that you can now book sky pad. Things like flowrider you just turn up after having signed the waiver. Ships excursions do tend to be more expensive as mentioned above, depending on where you are going, most places you should be able to navigate on your own, as long as you leave plenty of time to get back to ship.

We were on indy in October after her refurb and loved it. Lots to do we didn't try the escape room or laser tag but both looked fun.

Happy cruising!
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
As smilesonfaces says, keep checking your cruise planner for things you can book. You can't book shows, they are first come first served, most performances will be repeated. Someone did say that you can now book sky pad. Things like flowrider you just turn up after having signed the waiver. Ships excursions do tend to be more expensive as mentioned above, depending on where you are going, most places you should be able to navigate on your own, as long as you leave plenty of time to get back to ship.

We were on indy in October after her refurb and loved it. Lots to do we didn't try the escape room or laser tag but both looked fun.

Happy cruising!
Great to hear you have sailed in Indy and enjoyed it.

To be honest, it’s the dining that is confusing us at the moment. We have booked my time dining, which I guess is more formal. I think Windjammer looks more up my sons street, but I guess we can cancel the ore booked my time dining and just turn up at the other restaurants if we
Find my time too formal?
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

We have today booked a 3 night on Indy in August our first time with RC
We also booked my time, I assume you can just turn up may have to wait a bit ,we will use the buffet more I expect.
Old 6 Jan 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tikka234 View Post
We have today booked a 3 night on Indy in August our first time with RC
We also booked my time, I assume you can just turn up may have to wait a bit ,we will use the buffet more I expect.
We booked my time, but have today pre booked the main dining every evening with the my time dining. We have booked for 6.30pm. If we find it too formal we may just cancel. From what I believe you can just turn up at places like Windjammer which are more buffet style, I read that there may be a short wait for tables at busy times,but nothing too extreme
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

agree with comments from other posters, your son will love it, 9 is a perfect age for cruising as they have some freedom and can let you have some adult time as well as family time.

re planning, look at some port guides, you don't have long in each port so planning is key, especially if doing you own thing and not the more expensive ship excursions. useful to look at the excursions on the RCI web site to get some ideas of your own thing.

the MDR (main dining room) not that formal, usually friendly waiting staff who are happy to recommend items and allow you to order extras to try them. my daughter often ate main course with us and then went back to meet her many friends whilst we had pudding, coffee and a few more drinks!
my dd also at loads of pizza from the promenade where she hung out with friends and there is always food in the windjammer buffet.

consider the drinks or soda packages, freestyle soda will be fun for your son and means he can get a drink when he wants.
don't think there are many activities to pre book before you board, again nearer the time you'll get options on your cruise personaliser.
on here you also add passport details, check in info, preferences etc.

bit more info in my trip reports in signature, all ships are similar arrangements and Anthem is just a bigger 'Indy', 3 of us did a cruise to Spain and France on Indy last summer but didn't do a trip report.

Any specific queries just shout as sure there are loads of people on here with experience of Indy.

Gillian
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 05:57 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sotong View Post
agree with comments from other posters, your son will love it, 9 is a perfect age for cruising as they have some freedom and can let you have some adult time as well as family time.

re planning, look at some port guides, you don't have long in each port so planning is key, especially if doing you own thing and not the more expensive ship excursions. useful to look at the excursions on the RCI web site to get some ideas of your own thing.

the MDR (main dining room) not that formal, usually friendly waiting staff who are happy to recommend items and allow you to order extras to try them. my daughter often ate main course with us and then went back to meet her many friends whilst we had pudding, coffee and a few more drinks!
my dd also at loads of pizza from the promenade where she hung out with friends and there is always food in the windjammer buffet.

consider the drinks or soda packages, freestyle soda will be fun for your son and means he can get a drink when he wants.
don't think there are many activities to pre book before you board, again nearer the time you'll get options on your cruise personaliser.
on here you also add passport details, check in info, preferences etc.

bit more info in my trip reports in signature, all ships are similar arrangements and Anthem is just a bigger 'Indy', 3 of us did a cruise to Spain and France on Indy last summer but didn't do a trip report.

Any specific queries just shout as sure there are loads of people on here with experience of Indy.

Gillian

Thanks so much for the details.
Did the main dining have a separate child’s menu? The food that I have seen looks amazing, but not sure if it’s too my sons taste?