Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Amsterdam Dec 2018 - Day 3 Exploring Amsterdam

Day 3 – Exploring and Bols experience

Wednesday 12th Dec -

We had another very lazy morning today and didn’t leave the hotel until 12:30pm. Todays plan was to wander the city and take it at a leisurely pace as we had no firm plans.

We walked down to Spui Square which was a really cute little area and popped into Café Hoppe for lunch. We sat outside as it was a beautiful day. I ordered the soup and a toastie and I think Mick just went for a toastie on it’s own! I bought a dark green hat from Primark a few days ago but didn’t like it as it made me look like an elf ☹ here’s Mick wearing it though looking very happy

Almost had a near death experience here – Mick was about a cm away from being ran over by a bike! We didn’t even see the bike it wasn’t until a women crossing towards us shouted and look shocked we realised how close it was. Lesson learnt watch out for the bikes they don’t stop for nobody.

We headed over to Rokin St and got some photos – this is Queen Wilhelmina on her horse apparently! Then carried on to Staalmeestersbrug draw bridge as we had read it was a love lock bridge and there were lots of photos online.
Today was cold! We were properly freezing and Mick forgot his hat and jacket silly billy, so we went to a shop to find him another one.

We got to the bridge and there were only a few padlocks on it. I suspect they had been cut down as they must weigh the bridge down. We put our one on it and threw the key into the canal.

It was a bit of a walk to our next destination – Riijksmuseum. 30 mins later very cold we arrived. The plan had been to go ice skating but the ice rink was tiny and very busy so we gave that idea a miss as neither of us can actually ice skate anyway.

Unsure what to do I googled what was close by and saw that Bols a Dutch liquor brand was nearby and there was a cocktail bar inside. We headed over but in order to go to the bar you had to do the tour. It was €16 each so not too bad and you got a cocktail at the end. It was a quick tour with some fun, interactive bits – you had to smell all the liquors and try and guess what flavours they were. We got our cocktails and sat in the bar glad to be in the warmth.

The plan now was to head back towards where our hotel was and go for tea. We got an Uber as it was quite a far walk *small note Amsterdam isn’t made for cars and we had two occasions when the Uber got stuck down a street as it was closed off and had to reverse back so use the trams where you can* We had planned on going to the Grasshopper but our uber driver said it was rubbish and recommended Prix D’ami for food. We headed there but it’s a coffeeshop and the place was full of smoke and not somewhere you’d want to sit and eat in so we used the loo’s and left. I had noticed a few Italian restaurants when we got out of the taxi so we headed over that way to look at the menus. We settled on Restaurant Savini and ordered some drinks and decided we would share a pizza and carbonara between us both. They gave us a breadbasket with garlic butter and the food came quickly. I must have forgotten to take photos oops. We paid up and headed back to the hotel where I jumped in the bath to try and warm up with a wee drink.

We headed back down to our fave hotel bar and then went out to the red light district as Mick wanted to visit a bar he liked from him previous trips called Winstons.

It was BOGOF drinks so I got two gin and lemonades and Coronas for Mick. We chilled in here for a bit then headed back to the hotel in the cold!

Thanks for reading! xo.

Previous: Day 2 Here
Next: Day 4 Here

Edited at 06:42 PM.
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It does look cold! The cocktail tour sounds like fun!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
cocktail tour sounds good
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List