Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Feb 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Tamz1983
Imagineer

Tamz1983's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Aug 2020

Hey everyone,

Haven't posted in here in a while but need some help we are going back in Aug 2020..our previous 4 trips have all been in the May/June half term so I feel way out of my comfort zone with this nect trip

Our eldest starts high school in Sept which leaves us only being able to go during the summer holidays..we are thinking the last two weeks as I believe it's slightly less busy then?

so what I'm wanting to know really is what should I be looking at flight price wise? We are hoping to book onsite again if Disney release their free dining offer in April so nothing has been officially booked yet but I have a rough idea on our dates. I have been looking at flight prices since Oct last year (using this years prices as a guide) but I'm not even sure what is classed as a good price? We went indirect in May last year with AA and only paid £1300 return for the 4 of us I know it's going to be a lot more next Aug lol

it will be 2 adults and 2 children (12 and 7) and around the 13th Aug 2020 for 2 weeks.

any help/advice would be greatly received

Tami xx
3rd Visit..Caribbean Beach May 2017
4th Visit...Coronado Springs May 2018
Tamz1983 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Lodgey82
Trainee Dibber

Following! We are the same. Our son started High School in Sept and our youngest still at Primary. The school holidays don't match up any other time except Summer next year. We normally go Feb or Easter. I'm a bit worried about both the price and the heat
Lodgey82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Also following . Our primary school is on crackdown (only year 1 ) so tricky to go outside school holidays. Only 2 weeks or over half term we get, is either Easter (April) or August. Everything else is just one week. Easter we know will be crowded+++, Aug seems more viable for lower crowds but the heat... . Never been to Florida so unsure how one's family would cope, esp when spending in the thousands per visit.

Youtubers "What the Haystacks" are a lovely UK family that go at the end of Aug pretty much every year or two (Disney anyway). I'll see how much they sweat

x

Edited at 01:26 PM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kennycapes
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Am I following too but have been tracking flights in August for a couple of years.

It really does depend on airport and direct or indirect.

Something like virgin direct have been around £1000 each. LGW to MCO.

other airlines can be from £600. These are generally indirect.

Watch out for one thing though. If you are not taking them out of school for a single day don't get caught up and feel down with deals that get posted just outside school holidays.

Everyone has different restrictions so may miss the first two days of school and therefore get a cracking deal.

They also may fly out and return to different airports.

Each traveler had different idea/expectation of travel day.

This is my experience.

I am budgeting £1000 each. 4 of us.

Having said all that, out fellow dibbers are fantastic at spotting deals and sharing do keep an eye on the glitch threads that run for specific months.

I am doing exactly wage you are doing so going to be ready come October this year as they start to release flights.
August 2020 CANCELLED AKL, Aug 2023 - First time on site, lets try this again
kennycapes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went in August 2016 (21-07th September) and also last August (16th-3rd Sept 18) The kids missed a few days the first trip and my DS missed one day the 2nd trip.

Both times we have flown to Miami as it is significantly cheaper than flying into Orlando. We’ve never paid more than £2600 for flights including a 7 seater car with all insurances. Miami isn’t for everyone, but we wouldn’t have been able to have 2 trips so close together had we not flown there. Luckily my husband likes driving in America so it’s not a biggie for us. We usually stay in Miami for the first night and drive up the next day, so making it an extra little holiday within a holiday. So when looking at flights have a look at all the Florida airports... Tampa/Sanford/Miami/Jacksonville (indirect). I’ve also found not doing the standard 2 weeks holiday can make a difference price wise. Both times we’ve been in August we’ve done 17 & 19 days. So see if that works. I think flexibility is often key for decent flight prices. Look at all the airlines and don’t get hung up on going with a particular one. We have only flown with BA to Florida but that’s because they’re always cheaper for what we want!

As for the heat... it’s hot but it’s the humidity that is the killer. Wear lose clothing, I try and avoid denim and wear linen shorts with loose vests/T-shirt’s. Drink loads and take air con breaks, in/out of the shops. I’ve got into a habit of everytime I walk past a QS dining location I will go in and get some free water, even if none of us are thirsty, I make the kids drink it. Be prepared for the rain aswell, the storms are unbelievable but we love them lol.

And my biggest piece of advise is, if the heat knackers you out (which it does is) we take a break, go back to our resort or villa and head out again later. We start the holiday on early starts and towards the end we go out later and stay till the parks close!

We’re going in October this year for 12 days and kids are missing a few days (13 & 11)

Hope that helps a little!

Edited at 02:33 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

In August 2015 we flew direct with Virgin and paid £880 per head. In August 2017 we managed to get a great deal on a fly drive with BA. We were 2 adults and 3 children (14,12,9) and paid £2,300 to fly out Gatwick to MCO via Dublin and return direct MCO to Gatwick with a car for the first two weeks of our stay. There were lots of bargains with BA that year.

I'm just starting to look into prices again as we'll be going back in 2020. I'm open to direct or indirect but will put aside £1000 each and will put anything we have left over towards some extra magic when we are there.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ChloeFZ
Helping Minnie

We did exactly this last year and are doing the same in 2020 (heading out around 13 August). Last year, we were looking at a cost of around £1k per person flying direct (London to MCO) but managed to shave off some money by flying direct out but home via Atlanta. This brought the price down to around £870 per person.
Next year, we've decided to look for London to Tampa direct and am hoping for a price of around £850 - 900 per person.
Hope that helps!
ChloeFZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

We did DIY for the first time last August, we went British Airways and flew on 16th August. We flew direct to Tampa from Gatwick and on way home was Tampa - Miami - Heathrow. Our was economy and return was premium economy (for the Miami to Heathrow part). We paid £2075 for 2 adults and 1 child (11), we had to pay an additional £300 for seat selection which was our choice to do. We found the price as soon as the flights were released.

I 100% would fly into Tampa again, such a quiet airport compared to Orlando. It took 1hr 1/2 to get to our Villa which was in Formosa Boulevard (a Dibb villa).
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We're in a similar boat to you and have researched lots of flight prices ready for August 2020. The glitch July/August 2019 thread has been really useful to see what kind of deals we could get. We're planning on around 3 weeks in August (I'm a teacher so I'm restricted to school hols) depending on what deals we can find and are open to flying to any Florida airport or indirect combo. The best deal we found was flying indirect to west palm beach with virgin/delta via JFK. That was less than £400 each for 2 adults and 2 children. Like NewtoOrlando said, we figure we could make it another mini part of our holiday.
Old 9 Feb 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post

I am watching this thread too.

We have been July 2018 (group of 8 1 week Orlando 1 week Gulf coast) and going July 2019 (family of 4, 2 weeks Gulf coast meeting family over there). Extended family have been saying they want to go next year so now I seem to be looking for a group of 10 possibly 12 for next July/Aug. Early days yet and need a lot of conversations/commitment over the next few months.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List