Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Becca_
Trying for More Ears

Do we need a credit/payment card?

Hello

So just looking for some advice!

My partner and I are going in May and staying 10 nights at POR and then 4 nights at HRH.

Originally I had planned to take a mixture of some dollars and then get a good credit card for using over there because I didn't want to carry a lot of physical dollars.

However we went to the west coast in May last year and ended up coming back with some dollars, and have since gotten some dollars for our christmas and birthdays, and along with the $200 disney gift voucher we're going to pick up I think we have more than enough spending money for our two weeks.

But I know that some hotels ask you to provide a credit card for any in-room charges (even though we don't plan to use this)...so the question is should I still try and get a good credit card to use for that? I do have an RBS credit card but it is not good for using abroad so I would be applying for a different one...if I should get one what are the best ones?

Just any advice would be great thanks!
Becca_ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

we've had no issues with halifax clarity and santander zero so far.

i also use a monzo account for "normal" spending in the US
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

If you don't plan to charge anything against the card then I don't see a problem with providing your RBS card on check in. I do the same with a credit card that I don't plan to charge anything against.

I know a lot of people do it, but I've never been on board with the applying for a credit card just to use on a holiday! We take some cash and a pre paid card.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

We always use a Visa card, it doesnt have to be a credit card

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is just me but I would never go abroad without a credit card. I like to have the security in case something happens.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

For us the CC is a must for a holiday abroad and more so in the USA.
If you are unfortunate to get ill, or injured, when there, some hospitals will not treat you until you show them your cc. Now you may have good travel insurance, and they should take over once you get in contact with them, but you may find it difficult to get in contact with them initially. The cc will allow immediate treatment whilst the insurance is being sorted out.
Also there may be an emergency at home and you need to get home as soon as possible, so the card will be usefull to pay for the tickets and claim back later from insurance if applicable.
Just a couple examples.

We have a Halifax Clarity, a Bank if Scotland MasterCard , and a Clydesdale Bank MasterCard
All come with us, the last two for emergencies only, the Halifax we use for nearly everything and pay off when we get home. We also have a couple hundred dollars for tips etc.

Finally if your card is cloned it’s the banks money that’s risked not our own as per a debit card or prepaid card.

Hope this gives some points to consider. You just have to do what you consider best for you.

Edited at 07:32 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I always take a credit card , the B card through Clydesdale/Yorkshire bank is for use abroad, I used mine in Florida last year
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
If you don't plan to charge anything against the card then I don't see a problem with providing your RBS card on check in. I do the same with a credit card that I don't plan to charge anything against.

I know a lot of people do it, but I've never been on board with the applying for a credit card just to use on a holiday! We take some cash and a pre paid card.
RBS is known for declining international charges even though they claim they don’t and say they don’t need you to inform them of travel. I eventually stopped using mine abroad and actually cancelled it after a horrible embarrassing and costly fiasco.

So while you’re not planning to actually use it, they will still be running preauthorisations on it which may be declined. From personal experience with them I wouldn’t. I’m happy with our banking service and travel insurance with them, but would never trust their card abroad again.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

We always use a credit card, never debit whilst we’re away. Basically you’ve got cover with a credit card that you don’t have with debit, for insurance, someone skims your card details and cleans out your debit account, you’ve got little to no backing. Someone skims your credit card, you can flag the transactions and the credit card company with do a full investigation.

Another benefit of credit cards are that some of them give you a certain amount of insurance for the purchases you make.

We always just use our Amex and a Revolut card, never our debit.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would strongly advise a CC even if you have no intention of using it. For a start it’s much better protected than a debit card. Secondly you don’t want to be left without funds in an acute emergency. Thirdly you don’t want to be left without funds in a less acute emergency. Example. One year we had a suitcase completed wrecked and had to buy a new one. Another year I was ill and we had to spend $200 on medication until it was reimbursed through insurance weeks and weeks later. Minor things may also come up. I don’t use ours really when away but I always take it and linknto my hotel booking. At HrH your parking will be charged to it.