Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Feb 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mustang Convertible trunk space.

I am hiring a Mustang Convertible (Holiday Inn Universal 29 July to MIA 09 August, Budget car hire £438). I have never hired a Mustang before, hence my question...

Clearly, we will be moving at some time from Orlando to MIA in order to collect our flight. This will be achieved by a gulf coast run and spending our last night in Naples before driving the Tamiami causeway to our flight. We will be carrying all of our baggage, plus our boys of 13 and 16.

We will have 4x Cabin bags only that are in the region of 55x45x25. I am guessing that with the roof down, the trunk will have more than enough length and width 90x 110 or similar. Will I have 25 cm or so of depth? I am guessing so, but wouldn't mind the opinion of a person with real experience.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
The car hire photo thread has some great photos of mustang convertibles.

This one should give you an idea of space etc
https://DIBB.in/13540637

All the photos that have been posted are https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sea...rchid=26325561

We had to put 2 of our cabin bags on the back seats when we hired a mustang, luckily there were only the 2 of us.
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

The boot size is the same regardless of the roof state. I would be more concerned at your boys in the back, unless they are short of leg, it's not going to be comfortable for them.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BigSkip View Post
The boot size is the same regardless of the roof state. I would be more concerned at your boys in the back, unless they are short of leg, it's not going to be comfortable for them.
That is really helpful.
My eldest is 6'2", the youngest 5'1" and Mandie (the wife), a spectacularly short 5'3". Compromises can clearly be made. Either my tallest can sit behind Mandie and with her seat forward.. or they could swap...

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:47 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
The car hire photo thread has some great photos of mustang convertibles.

This one should give you an idea of space etc
https://DIBB.in/13540637

All the photos that have been posted are https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sea...rchid=26325561

We had to put 2 of our cabin bags on the back seats when we hired a mustang, luckily there were only the 2 of us.
That is brilliant. I am now suitably reassured re the trunk. At worst, we will have to empty one suitcase and collapse it, spreading the contents into corners etc, although in honesty, I think that I will be fine!

Old 14 Feb 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I would suggest for the long run that your roof is up as th passengers in the back will be severely buffeted.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SunbreezeFL
Imagineer

Oooo 6ft 2 in the back is gonna be a tad uncomfortable - hope your Wife is ok going in the back - they are great fun for cruising but tight in the back and the hood down on the interstate at speed isn’t so much fun.
SunbreezeFL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

OP As long as the bags are ok eh ?

I'd be more worried about the 2 in the bucket seats (a 6'2" person will probably not even fit, there is so little leg room), and the long drive getting battered by the wind.

It's a special type of hell at anything over 20 mph in the back of a convertible.

Have you looked at the thread posted? Cancel the Convertible, order something with Leg and Trunk space instead.
Old 15 Feb 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Just go to a UK Ford dealer near who has a mustang convertible, you will see tiny boot but 4 can sit in.
The hard too is much better but keep it a secret on here as most think a convertible is better.
Can't think why .
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Any speed and the rear seat passengers will have no hair by the end of the journey with the roof down and all of you will have a bad case of sunburn. The boot space isn’t going to be the biggest issue, more the gap to slot the luggage into. At the time we hired one I was the tallest in the family at, being generous in the morning, 5’9” and there wasn’t a lot of room. To fit anyone behind I had to slide the seat forward so that it wasn’t the ideal driving position either. Last year when we drove down to Miami we drove through a massive thunderstorm and I’ve got to say that it was bad in a Ford Expedition, i’d hate to experience it in a convertible. Good luck and have fun but I kinda hope that you just left yourself logged in and one of the boys posted this for a laugh.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List