Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Question Which foreign language would you like to learn?

I have just started a new part time job which is great, but it does mean that I have around 4 hours a day just by myself at work. So far I've been listening to the radio, but I was thinking that maybe I could download a language app or similar and try to learn a new language, well the basics at least.

I know some French from school and attempt speaking in France, but I'm so bad that half the time people just reply to me in English.

I also did Latin at school, but there's not a lot of call for that these days.

Holiday wise, I was thinking that Italian, Spanish, German or Japanese.

What would you like to learn?
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
I am trying Spanish..I have dabbled for about a year just with books and cds..The basics are ok and speaking and reading fine ..its the listening thats difficult as the Spanish speak so quickly... my first word is always Despacio... another reason is I am now 70...

Edited at 10:24 AM.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

I am currently learning Spanish on Duolingo. I can highly recommend it. I learnt some Dutch on duolingo before going to the Netherlands last year. Whilst I couldn’t have a conversation in Dutch I understood some of what they were saying and could read some signs.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I studied French and Latin in school too. I don’t find it easy to learn languages but I would like to improve my French as we are hoping to visit Dlp and Paris itself next year. Italian would be useful too as we find English is not as widely spoken in Italy so it would be useful for holidays.

I would also love to be able to speak Welsh, as I am Welsh. It was not taught in school when I was a child, but my children have been taught it. I have tried to learn alongside them, but I find it incredibly difficult
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Spanish. I can speak some ,enough to get by, but would love to speak it fluently.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Spanish I think because it would be great to converse with some of the lovely servers and room staff in Disney.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
I am currently learning Spanish on Duolingo. I can highly recommend it. I learnt some Dutch on duolingo before going to the Netherlands last year. Whilst I couldn’t have a conversation in Dutch I understood some of what they were saying and could read some signs.
Is Duolingo free? I have just googled it and it says it is but is that just a few free lessons or the whole course? It looks a fun, interesting way to learn 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

I learnt French, Spanish, German and Latin at school and became quite proficient at the first 2, gaining good grades in my exams and taking them on to A level. However, due to not going anywhere I needed to utilise them for many years, I completely let the knowledge go and can barely speak a word of either of them now. This is even more galling because my wife is very proficient in both French & Spanish and makes me feel so inadequate when we go away to countries where they are the first language. If I had my time again I'd definitely keep on top of them.
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Is Duolingo free? I have just googled it and it says it is but is that just a few free lessons or the whole course? It looks a fun, interesting way to learn 😀
It is. There is a “premium” version that doesn’t contain adverts but as far as I am aware that is the only difference.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Italian.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List