Notices

Old 6 Nov 16, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Kuala Lumpar 2016 LIVE - All By Myself: Day 9 - Arriving Home And Final Thoughts

The flight took off on time there or there abouts. As for the outward leg, it seemed full.

The crew were efficient but not very communicative. They served the meal pretty quickly - a tofu curry for me. It was nice enough.

As soon as the tray had been cleared I tried to sleep. I must have dozed on and off because we were 8 h into the flight by the time I put the screen back on.

90 minutes before landing they served breakfast - cheese and mushroom omelette with a baked tomato and sautée potatoes. It was very nice for plane food!

We landed at Istanbul pretty much on schedule. I had to go through security again before going to the gate for the last flight. Whilst we pushed back on time, we arrived 25minutes late!

Passport control was empty but my suitcase was one of the last off

DH and DD were there to greet me

The birthday party was great and I managed to stay awake until 10pm!

Final thoughts

I had a wonderful trip - it was probably the most out of my comfort zone I have ever been on a solo trip - but not in a bad way!

Being in KL is a constant attack on your senses - the noise of a city that has lots of cars, construction and people, the sights (old quite badly maintained houses to high modern buildings, the temples), the smells of food (some fantastic, some gut wrenching) that it can be quite overwhelming.

I loved my trip to the rainforests - both FRIM and the Eco Park. But I do realise that I am a country girl in lots of respects.

The tour at FRIM was excellent - informative and interesting. And I was amazed to find a pocket of tranquility in the centre of KL.

The trips up the two towers had me in two thoughts - the Twin Towers are impressive but the trip up was not so. I much preferred the KL Menara - a better view with no pressure or herding.

Using public transport was easy and cheap.

I much preferred walking where possible (I averaged about 18km a day! ) but not always practical or easy (road signs were often lacking!)

Taxis were also cheap and plentiful. However KL has a congestion problem! The driving over there is awful. I don't think I went on one bus/taxi that didn't go through a red light. I certainly wouldn't want to drive there.

I enjoyed all the sights I saw! Some were most bizarre (the Batu Caves being an example) but nevertheless always interesting!

The food was very good and cheap.

The sweet and sour veg at Central Market was my favourite meal and also the cheapest at 2euros.

Some meals were not so good (and one was inedible) but I think if you are a meat eater it is probably easier. There are lots of options - from the hawker stalls to expensive restaurants and a wide variety of cuisines.

The hotel was fine - a few issues with the first room and they changed me when these issues were raised. The staff were pleasant.

For what I paid, it was a bargain.

I would definitely recommend KL as a destination with a couple of caveats.

I think it is probably not the best destination if it is your first solo trip or your first trip to Asia.

However, it is a city with a lot to offer in terms of sights, food and culture. There is lots of shopping to be done (more malls than you can possibly imagine!) and more than enough to keep you occupied. You could do a lot in 3 or 4 days.

Budgetwise, it can be as cheap it expensive as you want. I paid 650 euros for the flights and 7 nights hotel. I spent on average about 25 euros a day on food (Starbucks included ) Except for the two towers, most things are cheap to do!

So would I go back? To KL probably not but only because I think I have pretty much done everything.

I would however recommend it!

Thanks to everyone who has read along with me. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing the report and will no doubt look back on it in months and years to come!

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 6 Nov 16 3:08 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Glad you enjoyed it. I would do a solo trip but I think KL would take me pretty far out of my comfort zone. Sounds like an interesting place though!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Great trip report, thanks Mel, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for doing the trippie looking forward to your next one

Joan
Old 7 Nov 16, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great end to your trip report Mel. I've found it so interesting to follow along. Thank you for taking us somewhere different.
Old 7 Nov 16, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Glad your daughter enjoyed her party

Thanks for taking the time to do this report.
I'll say it again - you're a very brave lady! I'm not sure I could go there alone, or anywhere abroad really, but not because I wouldn't like to try it.
You've given me food for thought for sure. I'm a stay at home mum to kids who are all teens now so have a lot of spare time on my hands these days... hmmmmm...

You certainly got a lot of bang for your buck in terms of value for money in a very 'different' environment and saw some extremely unforgettable sights.

Thanks again.

Where next?
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing
Cutiepie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I would do a solo trip but I think KL would take me pretty far out of my comfort zone. Sounds like an interesting place though!
Thanks! It was certainly interesting!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Great trip report, thanks Mel, glad you enjoyed your trip.
Thanks - it was certainly an experience

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thanks for doing the trippie looking forward to your next one

Joan
Thanks Joan! Any chance of you doing one for your Florida trip?

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A great end to your trip report Mel. I've found it so interesting to follow along. Thank you for taking us somewhere different.
You are very welcome

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Glad your daughter enjoyed her party

Thanks for taking the time to do this report.
I'll say it again - you're a very brave lady! I'm not sure I could go there alone, or anywhere abroad really, but not because I wouldn't like to try it.
You've given me food for thought for sure. I'm a stay at home mum to kids who are all teens now so have a lot of spare time on my hands these days... hmmmmm...

You certainly got a lot of bang for your buck in terms of value for money in a very 'different' environment and saw some extremely unforgettable sights.

Thanks again.

Where next?
Do try it - I guess as I live abroad I am used to being somewhere else

Next is NYC at Christmas - but with DH and the kids!

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing
Thank you for reading along

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't think you would enjoy reading a trippie of our Florida holiday it would be the same everyday go out for breakfast back to the villa sit round the pool / swim / read go out for our evening meal oh and the occasional trip to the shops!

Joan